The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 07:33am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure what live ball rules you are talking about. But it is clear that you cannot run deception plays in football anymore. They cannot fake taking a knee.
Peace
Would you care to quote the rule that prohibits a fake take-a-knee play?
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Would you care to quote the rule that prohibits a fake take-a-knee play?
First of all it is a state interpretation to do this.

Secondly 9.9.1 Situation B Comment talks about unfair acts.

Third this play is totally outlawed at the NCAA level. If they fake tacking a knee the play is to be shut down.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 11:22am
TODO: creative title here

NCAA Rule 4-1-3:
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle
or declare it dead:
o. When a ball carrier simulates placing his knee on the ground.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 12:15pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
First of all it is a state interpretation to do this.
Then you should have said so.

Quote:
Secondly 9.9.1 Situation B Comment talks about unfair acts.
Before the snap.

Here's the Comment in it's entirety:

COMMENT: Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.

Quote:
Third this play is totally outlawed at the NCAA level. If they fake tacking a knee the play is to be shut down.
The OP's play was during a middle-school game. Unless it was in Texas or Massachussets, NCAA rules don't apply. FED has no such specific prohibition.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Then you should have said so.
Actually I did say so. I said this is what we do; I honestly do not care if others do something different or what justification they use. I made that clear very early and Rich said to follow the standards of your area in the first couple posts on this thread.

And most of all we have had this discussion many times before. No one is going to change the minds of others and I certainly am not trying to change other's minds.

Quote:
Before the snap.

Here's the Comment in it's entirety:

COMMENT: Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.
For the record around here, they announce they are taking a knee. It happens in just about every game. The purpose is so they can end the game amicably and without incident or as little incident as possible.

Quote:
The OP's play was during a middle-school game. Unless it was in Texas or Massachussets, NCAA rules don't apply. FED has no such specific prohibition.
I realize what the game we were talking about. The point is multiple levels have made it clear that if they are taking a knee we are proactive in not letting things continue or get out of hand. If you and others do not do this, so be it. Why would anyone really care what you do that does not live in your area? Also a middle school game is often played around here under NF rules and philosophies, so what is expected at the HS level is applied to the middle school/Pop Warner/Bill George leagues. And I also never said we tell players that they cannot hit each other or play football. I said that it is known they will take a knee and we tell players to behave. No different than what umpires in my area tell defensive teams when there is a scrimmage kick. They tell them what they can do with the snapper and it is up to the players to either listen or get penalized.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 12:42pm.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 12:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

If the QB tells me he's taking a knee, I guess we'll just have an IW when he fakes doing so. Shrug.

Again, this is regional. If every crew in your area says something, you should too. If every crew in your area doesn't say anything, neither should you.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If the QB tells me he's taking a knee, I guess we'll just have an IW when he fakes doing so. Shrug.

Again, this is regional. If every crew in your area says something, you should too. If every crew in your area doesn't say anything, neither should you.
+1

Peace
Old Thu Sep 08, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Apparently, some folks can't abide this kind of variability. :shrug:
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I hate resurrecting an old thread but

Last night 4th quarter A's up by 14 with 2 minutes to play and B is out of timeouts, 1st down near midfield...Victory formation...we decided this year in varsity games we're not saying anything unless our 35-point running clock rule is in effect in the 4th quarter and the game is 'practically' over. Snapper snaps the ball off the QB's knee and we ended up with a pile up under the center. B recovered and scored on the next play, onside kick nearly recovered, could have been a big moment if we had the defense 'relaxed.'
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I hate resurrecting an old thread but

Last night 4th quarter A's up by 14 with 2 minutes to play and B is out of timeouts, 1st down near midfield...Victory formation...we decided this year in varsity games we're not saying anything unless our 35-point running clock rule is in effect in the 4th quarter and the game is 'practically' over. Snapper snaps the ball off the QB's knee and we ended up with a pile up under the center. B recovered and scored on the next play, onside kick nearly recovered, could have been a big moment if we had the defense 'relaxed.'
My question is why would they run the formation with 2 minutes to go? That is a lot of time even if you run the play properly.

Again, I do not recall anyone saying for the "defense" to relax. I really wish sometimes people would read what the opposition is rather than assuming what someone's position is.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The officials should not have mentioned anything to the defense.
Ahhh, no.

This is horrible advice and I hope those following it do not see a kid hurt on a play like this. Injuries are virtually never your fault, but in this case, if someone gets hurt and you didn't tell everyone a knee was coming, in my view, that's on you.

Regional or not, its stupid not to inform the players. The R walks up and says, "offense will take a knee; defense, do not hit anyone; offense, you are committed and you can't fake it." Sorry to sound arrogant, but this is the ONLY way to handle this. I wouldn't work for anyone that told me any different.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 06:52am
Chain of Fools

Our game Friday night, offense failed to convert on fourth down and about 11 secs to go. All I said (and normally say) in these situations to their defense was "Be smart guys).
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Our game Friday night, offense failed to convert on fourth down and about 11 secs to go. All I said (and normally say) in these situations to their defense was "Be smart guys).
That is pretty much what we say.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Regional or not, its stupid not to inform the players. The R walks up and says, "offense will take a knee; defense, do not hit anyone; offense, you are committed and you can't fake it." Sorry to sound arrogant, but this is the ONLY way to handle this. I wouldn't work for anyone that told me any different.
What if the snap is muffed? Can the defense hit someone and recover the ball? What if the offense doesn't take a knee? How exactly are they committed to running a certain play?

As has been posted there are regional differences in how to handle this situation....but your way of handling it is the ONLY one that is 100% wrong.

And it is not the officials fault if anyone gets hurt on a kneel down play. It is no different than any other down of the game. The ball becomes live and players run into each other and injuries happen. The only difference is that the offense is trying to end the down quickly therefore there isn't much time for an injury to occur.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

It's not over til the clock is on 0:00. Offense has a game to finish by blocking and the defense has a job to do by trying to make a play. They have every right to play hard until the ball is dead by rule. It is not my job to take away an oppurtunity by telling them to lay off. If anyone is afraid of someone getting hurt and expecting the defense to lay off, then why don't you just disregard the 25 sec. clock and just let the clock run off without having another snap? Either way you handle it, you are still taking the oppurtunity that team B has at getting to the ball. JMO.