The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 02:19am
I miss being on the floor

Intentional Grounding Question

I fall into two categories: Official (basketball only for now), and Broadcaster.

Tonight I was broadcasting a couple of high school games to kickoff the season here in Illinois, and I saw essentially the same play called two different ways.

Play 1: The QB was in the pistol formation (ie, not under center) with the clock winding down in the second quarter. He gets the snap from center and immediately spikes it. One of the officials throws a flag, and they enforce intentional grounding.

Play 2: The QB was in the shotgun, clock winding down in the second quarter. He gets the snap from center, and spikes it. No flag.

Different officiating crew for each game.

Can you guys help me out?
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Rule 5-2-e exception - It is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forwardto the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand to hand snap
Because the quarterback was not under center to receive a hand to hand snap, this is a penatly for intentional grounding.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I fall into two categories: Official (basketball only for now), and Broadcaster.

Tonight I was broadcasting a couple of high school games to kickoff the season here in Illinois, and I saw essentially the same play called two different ways.

Play 1: The QB was in the pistol formation (ie, not under center) with the clock winding down in the second quarter. He gets the snap from center and immediately spikes it. One of the officials throws a flag, and they enforce intentional grounding.

Play 2: The QB was in the shotgun, clock winding down in the second quarter. He gets the snap from center, and spikes it. No flag.

It's intentional grounding in both situations. Per the rule cited above, he must take a direct hand to hand snap from the snapper and spike it. Also, if he fumbles the snap, he can't legally spike it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

And the fun really begins when he takes the snap, turns around and spikes it backwards.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 10:16am
I miss being on the floor

So one crew got it right, the other missed it. Thanks.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So one crew got it right, the other missed it. Thanks.
Yes. Otherwise, he could legally do what he did in play #2 at anytime.

Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef View Post
And the fun really begins when he takes the snap, turns around and spikes it backwards.
Not as much fun as if he spikes it straight down and an official whistles anyway. Considering the enormous advantage a ruling of IW would give team A -- stopping the clock while the officials sort it out and they get the down over -- wouldn't you want to rule it as a forward pass if it seems to have been an IW?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Not as much fun as if he spikes it straight down and an official whistles anyway. Considering the enormous advantage a ruling of IW would give team A -- stopping the clock while the officials sort it out and they get the down over -- wouldn't you want to rule it as a forward pass if it seems to have been an IW?
Do you really think any crew is not going to rule it a forward pass if it's spiked straight down?

Unless the QB turns aound and throws the ball backwards, it's ALWAYS going to be whistled dead as a forward pass.

Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef View Post
While it's not our mechanics to bag a backwards pass, I might here to let everyone know it's a live ball.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Might be one crew is more used to NCAA rules which do allow the QB to spike from a shotgun formation.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 11:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Might be one crew is more used to NCAA rules which do allow the QB to spike from a shotgun formation.
I bet that was the issue based on what I know of those games and who is assigned.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Last night we a 4th and goal at the 7. "A" lines up for a FG. The kicker takes the snap and in an attempt to do a fake. throws the ball into the end zone where no receiver was in the area. R ruled it intentionally grounding and penalized A from the previous and awarded the ball to B.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart View Post
Last night we a 4th and goal at the 7. "A" lines up for a FG. The kicker takes the snap and in an attempt to do a fake. throws the ball into the end zone where no receiver was in the area. R ruled it intentionally grounding and penalized A from the previous and awarded the ball to B.
Did it look like an attempt to avoid loss of yardage? It's first down for B anyway, but could be a different spot.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart View Post
OK. Do you have a question?
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
OK. Do you have a question?
It was just something none us had ever seen.