The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Little help please: Previous Spot or Not

4th and 3...QB in shotgun, defender chases until he finally catchs, using the facemask/helmet opening drops the QB. Flag. (Ok easy enough right)

Official signals facemask, Turns ball over to the defense. Declares to sidelines that it is not automatic first down. Signals first down on turnover to defense. Sideline questions the call, Officials sternly indicates it is not an automatic first down!- Never asks any of us, that isnt the point.

Arent live ball fouls on runs assessed from the spot? Does anyone have a great way to memorize basic, previous etc spots on enforcement of penalties?

Thanks
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Basic spot for a running play is the end of the run. You march off the 15 yards from the end of the run. If it is short of the first down after enforcement you would still replay the down. In this situation no way should it have been a turnover on downs.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 10:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
4th and 3...QB in shotgun, defender chases until he finally catchs, using the facemask/helmet opening drops the QB. Flag. (Ok easy enough right)

Official signals facemask, Turns ball over to the defense. Declares to sidelines that it is not automatic first down. Signals first down on turnover to defense. Sideline questions the call, Officials sternly indicates it is not an automatic first down!- Never asks any of us, that isnt the point.

Arent live ball fouls on runs assessed from the spot? Does anyone have a great way to memorize basic, previous etc spots on enforcement of penalties?

Thanks
That's a *huge* error in any code.

CANADIAN RULING:

15 yards from PLS + AFD.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

The only way the ball turns over here is if the foul is a dead ball foul, after the play. If not, it's a running play and under NFHS rules would be penalized 15 yards from the end of the run. If the yardage results in a first down, it's a first down -- otherwise, replay 4th down.

This is a very basic penalty enforcement.

How did the requested conference go between the head coach and the referee? I mean, the one that was obviously requested because of this serious rules error?

Last edited by Rich; Sun Sep 11, 2011 at 10:31am.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The only way the ball turns over here is if the foul is a dead ball foul, after the play. If not, it's a running play and under NFHS rules would be penalized 15 yards from the end of the run. If the yardage results in a first down, it's a first down -- otherwise, replay 4th down.

This is a very basic penalty enforcement.

How did the requested conference go between the head coach and the referee? I mean, the one that was obviously requested because of this serious rules error?
The only thing remotely close to the obvious requested conference after the serious rules error was- "whats the call?" He answered at the top of his lungs "ITs NOT AN AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN!", coach replies in the proverbial " Really " (Coach realized he was dealing with a non-compos mentis)

The game was lopsided, the coach used the experience to teach a life lesson and the official was evaluated down. Pretty sad for sure as this goes on all the time in our great country.

God Bless America, and keep her safe.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 11:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
The only thing remotely close to the obvious requested conference after the serious rules error was- "whats the call?" He answered at the top of his lungs "ITs NOT AN AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN!", coach replies in the proverbial " Really " (Coach realized he was dealing with a non-compos mentis)
So the coach chose not to avail himself of the option to request a time out for the purpose of a conference to discuss a perceived rules error. Got it.

"Evaluated down"? Was this crew being watched by evaluators?
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

In some state,officials are evaluated by each head coach each game.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 08:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
In some state,officials are evaluated by each head coach each game.
I take that process just as seriously as the evaluation I'm asked to give the head coach on how well he coaches his team. Oh, wait, they don't ask me.