The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Hi, Can anyone please explain to me what Intentional Grounding is. I think that it is when the QB throws it and there is no reciever within 10 yards so they get called for Intentional Grounding. Am I right? And does it matter is they throw it out of bounds. Thank you so much

Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

There is no set distance. The rule book defines it as

Rule 7-5-2c
"A pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligibile offensive receiver."
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

This is one of the most subjective calls we have. Here are some questions you might ask yourself before throwing the flag.

Was it an intentional attempt to conserve time or yardage?
Was the direction of the pass affected by the defense contacting the QB?
What is the skill level of the QB? By that I mean would he normally be able to complete a pass like that. (big judgement call)
Was it an error by the receiver when around the time of the throw or after he made a break in his pattern away from the ball? (He ran an in-pattern instead of an out)

Some of these WH will need a lot of help from other officials. This is a flag for WH only but can be told by other officials to throw it.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Some of these WH will need a lot of help from other officials. This is a flag for WH only but can be told by other officials to throw it.
Good point. Routinely, on our crew, the wings help with this call. The R is watching the passer to make sure he isn't roughed. He may not see where the pass lands or if a receiver was near.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

The wing officials can definitly help out on the call. The defense's bench will also give up some advise also.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Remember: If the passer throws the ball out of bounds BACKWARDS, there is no foul. There is no intentional grounding on a backward pass.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Remember: If the passer throws the ball out of bounds BACKWARDS, there is no foul. There is no intentional grounding on a backward pass.
You know, I've been reading about this play all season but I've never, never seen it. Quite honestly, if you're going to throw it backwards, you just as well throw it forwards and hope IG isn't called. In the end, a backwards pass is going to cost you the down and lost yardage anyway, just as an IG penalty would.

I just don't see the wisdom in this play.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I think the original thought was that it would stop the clock if you can't get out of bounds.