The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Is there a chance the state would decertify the association and move quickly to either establish a new one with people willing to work or perhaps divvy up the schools among neighboring associations?
Since we've never had that situation, I can't speak to what the state might do as far as de-certifying.

Neighboring associations wouldn't be an option as we handle the SE corner of the state. Further, we've had to send crews to cover games in other areas when they've had too many non-con games on one night.

In Louisiana, the officials seem to have the backing of the LHSAA admin.

Personally, I don't think decertifying your local associations and starting new ones is very smart.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Good for them. I hope they hold out and get a significant increase and some respect. $31 a game sounds insaine to me.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started working basketball in 1988, we had what we called a "jumper" system where a varsity official would be assigned (usually) 3 games -- the freshman, JV, and Varsity for the night. It was his responsibility to find another younger official to work the frosh and JV game. He would take the fee from the school and pay in cash his jr. official. Usually, he paid either $25 or $30 for the subvarsity games. I don't know what they made for the entire night from the school, but my guess is anywhere from $60-80 minimum -- and depended on the school district, crowd, and counting method. So the fees 22 years ago in Texas were more than they are now in Louisiana for a varsity game.

That's a crime, and I would have walked away years ago.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like it is having an impact...

Referee sit-out forces cancellation of prep games - Plaquemine, LA - Plaquemine Post South
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, are we getting a preview of this coming fall in Texas?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

The principal issue is significantly different, i.e. in LA it is money, here it is "control" (although it did start as money). I suspect a lot more folks would be motivated by money than "control" so we might not see the numbers sitting in Texas that are in LA.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Predictably, some in LA are making it seem that the officials are taking away opportunities from the kids.

What those people forget is that this isn't charity work. If they want free (or very cheap) officials, let the parents come out of the stands (one from each team) and let them work the game for $31 each.

$31. I still can't get over that. We got $30 for a freshman game in PA in 1987 (the year I started). That's 24 years ago.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sure that wasn't 2 freshman games, Rich? 30 is about what we got for 2 subvarsity games around then.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 07:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Sure that wasn't 2 freshman games, Rich? 30 is about what we got for 2 subvarsity games around then.
In Pennsylvania? I remember working 1 game a night and never making less than $30. I could be wrong -- it was a long time ago.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was in Texas, and though I'd find it hard to believe, if you remember it like that, then I do believe you. Seems like pay rose pretty fast from when I started until 2 or 3 years later. And Texas has always paid based on gate receipts. I did have a $90 JV game (one) and a $212 varsity game in or around 1991 and 92.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I was in Texas, and though I'd find it hard to believe, if you remember it like that, then I do believe you. Seems like pay rose pretty fast from when I started until 2 or 3 years later. And Texas has always paid based on gate receipts. I did have a $90 JV game (one) and a $212 varsity game in or around 1991 and 92.
I think when we worked middle school we made something like $35 for 2 games. When we worked JV, we only worked a single game.

Regardless, $31 is incredibly low. Thing is, I worked as a member of the New Orleans association the year I lived there, worked a varsity schedule, and have no idea how much we were paid for those games. The money meant more in PA, when I was in college.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
"Officials are paid between $68 and $74 per game, depending on certification. The payscale remains the same regardless of the size of the school."

What is this about? Someone is misinformed since there is a large difference between $31 & $68.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump View Post
"Officials are paid between $68 and $74 per game, depending on certification. The payscale remains the same regardless of the size of the school."

What is this about? Someone is misinformed since there is a large difference between $31 & $68.
You might be confusing the pay for basketball and football officials.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You might be confusing the pay for basketball and football officials.
Football officials are paid up to $75. The referee gets $15 extra (I like that idea -- I'm willing to bet the one guy on the crew who I think would be a great referee but doesn't want to do it would sing a different tune if we had a pay differential ).

It stuns me that FB officials get $75 and basketball officials get $31 (3-person crew). Every other state I've been in pays officials about the same for each sport.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump View Post

I believe $68 to $74 is for a doubleheader, GV and BV.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith