The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Swinging Strike + Hit Batter + Dropped 3rd Strike

I've been looking through rules and online for a specific clarification on this situation as it occurred while umpiring a game yesterday.

Less than 2 outs, first base open, 0-2 count.

Batter swings at an inside pitch and "fouls" a ball off of his hand.

I called the batter out. His coach, first, thought the hand is part of the bat. I said "No". Then he said that if it was a strike, it wasn't caught, so it should have been a dropped third strike and the batter should have an opportunity to make it to first. This was a little less clear for me. But, i was pretty certain that the ball is dead, so there's no play to be made.

I was correct that the ball is dead the instant it hit the batter. But, I still haven't found any specific exclusion for a third strike not needing to be caught on a hit batter, dead-ball or not.

Common sense tells me that the batter is out. But, I would like to clear this up with a specific rule or set of rules. Any help?
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

You don't need common sense.

6.05 A batter is out when—
(f) He attempts to hit a third strike and the ball touches him;
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Cool. Thanks. It's not made that clear in the NFHS 2006 rule book I have.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post

In FED you need to string together that it's a dead ball and that you can't run the bases on a dead ball.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...you need to get that updated.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
In FED you need to string together that it's a dead ball and that you can't run the bases on a dead ball.
Yeah that is the logic I follow. But, as devil's advocate, I could argue with myself that since the third strike was not caught, and the ball is immediately dead, the batter should be awarded first base.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
...you need to get that updated.
I know. I volunteer as an umpire. So I'm not likely as "hardcore" as many people here. But, I do love the game and love the rules just as much. So, this is fun for me. You're right, though, I should get a new rule book for myself. Does the new NFHS clarify this situation any more?
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah that is the logic I follow. But, as devil's advocate, I could argue with myself that since the third strike was not caught, and the ball is immediately dead, the batter should be awarded first base.

Getting first on an uncaught third strike is not an award - it has to be earned.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know. I volunteer as an umpire. So I'm not likely as "hardcore" as many people here. But, I do love the game and love the rules just as much. So, this is fun for me. You're right, though, I should get a new rule book for myself. Does the new NFHS clarify this situation any more?
Do you have the casebook? I believe there is a case play on this... but I could be wrong.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 02:32pm
Administrator

Two years ago in a summer tournament using OBR, I was behind the plate for a boys 13U game when the same player, in consecutive at bats, struck out on pitches that ran up an in on him and hit him while he was swinging for strike three.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

From the 2009 Casebook:
5.1.1 SITUATION E: On the third strike, B3 swings at and misses a pitch. The ball touches his arm or person. RULING: B3 is out. The ball becomes dead immediately. (5-1-1a, 8-1-1d)

From the rules:
5-1 ART. 1 . . . Ball becomes dead immediately when:
a. a pitch touches a batter or his clothing (8-1-1d), a runner (8-3-1a);
1. The ball becomes dead even though the batter strikes at it (8-1-1d).

and,

8-1 ART. 1 . . . A batter becomes a runner with the right to attempt to score by advancing to first, second, third and home bases in the listed order when: .....
d. a pitched ball hits his person or clothing, provided he does not strike at the ball;

It's the last phrase that matters--"provided he does not strike at the ball". So the batter who swings and is hit by a pitch doesn't become a runner. He does however, have a third strike charged against him, and he is out:

7-2 ART. 1 . . . A strike is charged to the batter when:....
b. a pitch is struck at and missed (even if the pitch touches the batter);
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

This same situation happened in a game I was in last weekend, except they did not argue hands part of bat, they wanted to argue that the catcher did not catch the ball so he should be allowed to run. I was on bases with a younger umpire behind the plate and after a lengthy discussion with the HC he started walking toward me with that help me look and I joined in the discussion and helped my partner put a stop to the nonsense. "Of course he did not catch the ball coach, it hit your batter in the leg while he was swinging, ball is dead, therefore he can't run and he is out because of 3rd strike."
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Getting first on an uncaught third strike is not an award - it has to be earned.
Not entirely true...A passed ball or wild pitch could go out of play. I think your choice of words might be a bit misleading to lesser-experienced umpires.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not entirely true...A passed ball or wild pitch could go out of play. I think your choice of words might be a bit misleading to lesser-experienced umpires.
No, he's right. In your two scenarios the batter would not be getting first base as a result of the uncaught third strike but rather because of the ball going into dead ball territory. Two different things, two different statements.

His statement stands correct, "Getting first on an uncaught third strike is not an award"
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
No, he's right. In your two scenarios the batter would not be getting first base as a result of the uncaught third strike but rather because of the ball going into dead ball territory. Two different things, two different statements.

His statement stands correct, "Getting first on an uncaught third strike is not an award"
I agree, but I'm thinking of the guys that might take it (due to the second clause in the sentence) to mean "A batter-runner cannot be awarded first on an uncaught third strike."