The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Yikes.....

Massachusetts announcers lose it over blown backwards lateral call - Prep Rally - High School - Yahoo! Sports
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

It was truly a horrible call, but it was only 2 yards, not 5 (as the announcers were screaming).

A wicked pissah!
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It was truly a horrible call, but it was only 2 yards, not 5 (as the announcers were screaming).

A wicked pissah!
Funny...this is still high school football...right?
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Funny...this is still high school football...right?
Correct.

And as luck would have have it (except for this crew), the camera, the commentators, and the lateral were all on the same angle to catch it perfectly. 15 yards one way or the other....they don't see it nearly as well.

Poor call either way and bad positioning.

You can see this crew has alot of hustle. : ^ )
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It was truly a horrible call, but it was only 2 yards, not 5 (as the announcers were screaming). A wicked pissah!
Yes, it appears to be a mistaken call, but the fact that the LOS was midfield and the camera was apparently right on the LOS is about as good a camera angle as possible, and maybe even better than the angle the opposite wing had on the play.

Also, since this game involved Massachusettes High Schools, it's reasonable to presume the game was played under NCAA rules, which govern Massachusetts HS football. I believe the definitions of what differentiates a pass from being forward versus backwards may be somewhat different between the NFHS and NCAA codes.

Perhaps, "It was truly a horrible call" is a little strong for this situation.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Yes, it appears to be a mistaken call, but the fact that the LOS was midfield and the camera was apparently right on the LOS is about as good a camera angle as possible, and maybe even better than the angle the opposite wing had on the play.

Also, since this game involved Massachusettes High Schools, it's reasonable to presume the game was played under NCAA rules, which govern Massachusetts HS football. I believe the definitions of what differentiates a pass from being forward versus backwards may be somewhat different between the NFHS and NCAA codes.

I don't know.....ANY level of football, this is a live ball. Youth thru NFL. It was a game changer and took 6 off the board. Just a brain-fart by the WH and the wing(s)....IMO.

I bet they had a rough night the rest of the way. That's how a night can go....flawless and then one hiccup and it's a crap game.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 11:30am.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
I don't know.....ANY level of football, this is a live ball. Youth thru NFL. It was a game changer and took 6 off the board. Just a brain-fart by the WH and the wing(s)....IMO.

I bet they had a rough night the rest of the way.
Obviously a missed call but talk about over-reaction by the announcers.

How the ball stayed in-bounds is amazing...
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

How on earth is that call missed? Why is the wing just standing there?

[never mind; watched it again, and the wing brings the whistle to his mouth and sticks his arm out for i/c]

We get chewed on for stuff that we do right. This is such an easy call that was missed by what appears to be lazy officials. That is unacceptable. These guys need to do something else on Friday nights.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

yes, that's a pretty bad call! Since that would be my side of the field, I am not sure how this would happen. Is it possible that the white hat was quick on the whistle. You can't determine if the LJ punched out tentatively or if he signaled incomplete. Either way, I think it's pretty bad!
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

If you slow it or pause it...it looks like the HL over there puts the whistle in his mouth at the last second and brings up his right arm to start signaling IP.

The sad part in all of it is that by looking at even some of the visiting team's players on the sideline, the players in the game (other than the intended receiver), the verbals from the crowd, and the announcers....the officials here are the only ones who DIDN'T realize this was a lateral and should've been a score.

Now they can say they made the big-time. Ouch.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

I'm one who will defend officials when they deserve it, but this was a truly horrible call made by lazy officials. Period.

The reaction of the announcers is over the top, but that's what makes it funny.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
And as luck would have have it (except for this crew), the camera, the commentators, and the lateral were all on the same angle to catch it perfectly. 15 yards one way or the other....they don't see it nearly as well.
It crossed a chalk line. 30 yards either way wouldn't've obscured that!

I'd hoped it was an IW, and not the intended receiver selling incomplete fwd. pass. The wing official signaled "backward". However, the down did advance from 2nd to 3rd, so it must not have been ruled loose ball IW.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post

[never mind; watched it again, and the wing brings the whistle to his mouth and sticks his arm out for i/c]
That's the signal for incomplete? I thought he was pointing "backward"!
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Even really good officials make bad calls. That's possibly the case here. To say they shouldn't be working Fridays after getting this call wrong is pure hyperbole. They did get it wrong though. I put this on the LJ primarily and the HL secondarily. The R is watching the QB and wouldn't be watching where the ball goes. The U and BJ shouldn't be watching the ball either.

One official I know says his primary goal each game is to NOT get on YouTube. He would not have achieved his goal on this night.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post

We get chewed on for stuff that we do right. This is such an easy call that was missed by what appears to be lazy officials. That is unacceptable. These guys need to do something else on Friday nights.
I am so looking forward to when I'm able to work my first PERFECT game. Then, perhaps I'll be able to classify other officials as horrible, lazy or lack of hustle and poor positioning on the basis of observing one play. I guess until I actually achieve PERFECTION I'll just have to continue to muddle along doing the best I cam, as often and consistently as possible knowing full well that most likely even my very best effort is going to fall somewhat short of PERFECT.