The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Coach comes across field to protest

In Wisconsin last night we had our #1 ranked Div 1 (biggest schools) playing our #2 ranked Div 2 team, they play in the same conference. On a 4th and 4 from their own 26 yard line the runner is stopped just short of the 30 yard line just inside the hash mark chains side. The Linesman makes no attempt to hustle in and get a spot, the umpire throws him the ball to spot it, he is still on the sideline. The coach whose team is on offense just takes off and sprints across the entire field and starts protesting the spot and that they moved the ball before taking a measurement. It looks like he has just lost his mind, the officials make NO attempt to walk him back to the sideline and he is out there for at least three minutes talking (ranting) with the referee. The coach was not flagged! How would you have handled the coach in this situation?
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

He would have gotten a flag for USC. Then if he choose not to leave then he would have gotten another. Not sure why the official did not do the same. Especially over a spot on the other side of the field.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
In Wisconsin last night we had our #1 ranked Div 1 (biggest schools) playing our #2 ranked Div 2 team, they play in the same conference. On a 4th and 4 from their own 26 yard line the runner is stopped just short of the 30 yard line just inside the hash mark chains side. The Linesman makes no attempt to hustle in and get a spot, the umpire throws him the ball to spot it, he is still on the sideline. The coach whose team is on offense just takes off and sprints across the entire field and starts protesting the spot and that they moved the ball before taking a measurement. It looks like he has just lost his mind, the officials make NO attempt to walk him back to the sideline and he is out there for at least three minutes talking (ranting) with the referee. The coach was not flagged! How would you have handled the coach in this situation?
We had almost the same thing happen 2nd game of the year. I'm working LJ, ball goes OOB far side, late hit, flags fly. I move in to the hash on my side, holding spot and dead-ball officiating, when all of a sudden, here comes the coach past me, going to the other sideline. I catch up to him, turn him around, and then flag his butt. He goes ballistic, and I remind him that one more means he's gone, and about that time an assistant comes out and drags him back to the sideline.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He would have gotten a flag for USC. Then if he choose not to leave then he would have gotten another. Not sure why the official did not do the same. Especially over a spot on the other side of the field.

Peace
JRut,

That is the question eveyone is asking this morning...better yet the game was shown live all over SE Wisconsin and there were only three varsity games played last night in our area...everyone was watching.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Arguing on the field, I'm considerring a flag
Past the numbers, 1 flag is automatic
Past the hash mark I consider that flagrant, forget 2 flags, 1 will do.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JRut,

That is the question eveyone is asking this morning...better yet the game was shown live all over SE Wisconsin and there were only three varsity games played last night in our area...everyone was watching.
I keep telling people you have to be careful when you get on TV.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I keep telling people you have to be careful when you get on TV.

Peace
Scary thought - we will be on TV tonight - Ya'll vs Us.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
They will probably get rated a 6 and probably have a Level 2 / Level 4 / State assignment this season. Sigh.

Me? Well, our wing would've busted in to a spot and we would've measured (edited to add that we wouldn't if it was a touchback and we knew that the 30 was needed for the first down). Had the coach ran on the field I would've flagged him immediately and not entertained any discussion with him until he was off the field. If he would've refused to leave the field, I would've borrowed my umpire's flag (only half joking as I rarely carry two flags, although in a heated matchup I probably would've put one in the back pocket) and shown him the door.

Last edited by Rich; Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 01:22pm.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How would you have handled the coach in this situation?
Walked him back to his sideline.
Old Sat Oct 16, 2010, 01:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz View Post
Walked him back to his sideline.
With no flag? With no sideline warning / interference?

What does it take to draw an USC flag for a coach in your game?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

I watched this play again on TV last night and the coach that ran across the field did call timeout but I don't think that changes anything. As the coach is yelling at the officials the ball boy, yes the ball boy, from the far side of the field comes all the way across to try and get the coach. The officials couldn't even control the ball boy! Some players tried to get the coach off the field and he just shoved them out of the way. The wonderful thing is that our crew has this coach on Wednesday in a cross town rivalry game with both teams sitting at 7-1...should be a fun pregame with him. We did have him early in the season without incident.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 07:26am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
CANADIAN RULING:

At minimum, 10 yards for OC. My preference is the 0-yard DQ.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Watched that happen live. Still cannot believe he didn't toss at least one flag, better yet, not toss him. You could see Franklin's sideline screaming as to why the coach wasn't hit for at least a UC. For a moment, I thought the R actually got bumped by the coach, or the coach's head-set that he was swinging around. Unbelievable.

Better yet...during that 4 minute debacle, they screwed around with measuring when the drive started at the 20 on a touchback....if I'm not mistaken. Ball was well short of the 30 on the spot and they milled around with the chains and who knows what else when it was clear he was short.

Not one to point out another crew's flaws, but this crew did the TNL game a few weeks ago and looked shabby then too. Saw the ump take the ball swap out at mid-field and instead of tossing to R or BJ....just wings it toward the sideline and it bounces around for about 10 seconds...coach has to come out and get the ball. Looked terrible.

As Rich pointed out...they'll probably end up in Mad-town for a big one.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 08:39am. Reason: added content..
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 08:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Better yet...during that 4 minute debacle, they screwed around with measuring when the drive started at the 20 on a touchback....if I'm not mistaken.
In my opinion, this is the definition of being not-too-bright.

We measure the chains every week (using a few 10-yard line differences), but the lines may not be exactly in the right place. If we start at the 20 after a touchback (or on any major yardline) and we come up any distance short of the line on the field, IT'S SHORT. No, coach, we won't measure -- you need to get to the 30 yard line and you're an inch short of that. End of story.

I'd love to see a video of this.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Watched that happen live. Still cannot believe he didn't toss at least one flag, better yet, not toss him. You could see Franklin's sideline screaming as to why the coach wasn't hit for at least a UC. For a moment, I thought the R actually got bumped by the coach, or the coach's head-set that he was swinging around. Unbelievable.

Better yet...during that 4 minute debacle, they screwed around with measuring when the drive started at the 20 on a touchback....if I'm not mistaken. Ball was well short of the 30 on the spot and they milled around with the chains and who knows what else when it was clear he was short.

Not one to point out another crew's flaws, but this crew did the TNL game a few weeks ago and looked shabby then too. Saw the ump take the ball swap out at mid-field and instead of tossing to R or BJ....just wings it toward the sideline and it bounces around for about 10 seconds...coach has to come out and get the ball. Looked terrible.

As Rich pointed out...they'll probably end up in Mad-town for a big one.
Crew isn't on the tournament eligible list...no playoff games.

I did see the umpire toss the ball a couple of times...the wings never moved for the ball at all. The referee also tossed the ball to the sideline numerous times over hand like a QB.