The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

How many of you let the coach out onto the field of play between downs to "communicate" with a player? If so, how far and why is it not a violation of 9-8-1i?
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman
How many of you let the coach out onto the field of play between downs to "communicate" with a player? If so, how far and why is it not a violation of 9-8-1i?
It is a violation of 9-8-1i, some people just feel that the coach being on the field between downs is okay. Not saying that is my approach, I try to keep them off the field.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

i will give a little on this. if the coach is not in my way or being vocal towards me or my crew. i will give him a little. if i am down near the goal line and he is on the field a few steps, i ignore him. if he is in the way, being an ***, blocking the chain crew, or if there are 20 coaches on the field, i will take care of it. as a HL that is my primary thing i take care of in pregame. in georgia, the HL meets witht he visiting coach and the LJ meets with the home coach to address this sort of thing. we started this a few years ago and it has made a difference. we also started moving the chains back one yard from the sideline.

Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

INDIANA

Quote:
This year has been an emphasis this season by our commisioner for high school athletics. We were informed at our rules meeting that NO COACH IS ALLOWED ON THE FIELD! Not between plays; not furing a down, not at all. There is a 3 yd box for only 3 coaches. ALL others + players MUSt remian in the players box. So far, we have only had to throw 3 sideline warnings for voilations. Coaches do not like it, but they are conforming. We DO NOT go looking for this, but if we see a coach on the field, we flag him.

Seems to be working so far this season. Nice clean sidelines.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

If they're on the field, they take the risk of being warned/flagged. We have one school in our area that is notorious for this problem. I happen to be assigned to their sideline their first home game this season. 1:52 into the JV game (we play JV/V back to back here), one of the assistants walked right in front of me just before the snap. I blew my whistle and issued a sideline warning. V Head Coach also happened to be on the sideline and went nuts, but the bottom line was, I didn't have any more problems from them the rest of the day, JV or V.

I spoke to one of the other JV Assistant Coaches and he said that he felt it was poor sideline management on my part. I pointed out to him that it served it's purpose as I didn't have anyone else on the field the rest of the day.

Given that it is a Point of Emphasis this year, I feel like you can't go wrong in whistling it the first time. It is JUST A WARNING and doesn't cost them a yard.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
If they're on the field, they take the risk of being warned/flagged. We have one school in our area that is notorious for this problem. I happen to be assigned to their sideline their first home game this season. 1:52 into the JV game (we play JV/V back to back here), one of the assistants walked right in front of me just before the snap. I blew my whistle and issued a sideline warning. V Head Coach also happened to be on the sideline and went nuts, but the bottom line was, I didn't have any more problems from them the rest of the day, JV or V.

I spoke to one of the other JV Assistant Coaches and he said that he felt it was poor sideline management on my part. I pointed out to him that it served it's purpose as I didn't have anyone else on the field the rest of the day.

Given that it is a Point of Emphasis this year, I feel like you can't go wrong in whistling it the first time. It is JUST A WARNING and doesn't cost them a yard.
Should have told him if he thought so to call the state and see what they say. Here in Oklahoma the director of officials would probably laugh at him and tell him that it was superior sideline management.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they're on the field, they take the risk of being warned/flagged ...

You see, this is why I asked the question. This is NOT about sideline decorum, W&S. This is about a coach being on the field between downs to talk to a player. There is no "warning" provided for in the rules, it's 15 yards. Yet many wing officials seem to ignore the rule.

I guess they don't want to make waves on their sideline.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... 1:52 into the JV game (we play JV/V back to back here), one of the assistants walked right in front of me just before the snap. I blew my whistle and issued a sideline warning. V Head Coach also happened to be on the sideline and went nuts ...
By the way, had this been my game the V Head Coach probably would have been sent home and missed his half of the DH. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. NONE.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

You see, this is why I asked the question. This is NOT about sideline decorum, W&S. This is about a coach being on the field between downs to talk to a player. There is no "warning" provided for in the rules, it's 15 yards. Yet many wing officials seem to ignore the rule.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm too lazy to pull the book out right now, but I think this falls under the "first a warning, 2nd 5 yards, and subsequent 15 yards" rule.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm too lazy to pull the book out right now, but I think this falls under the "first a warning, 2nd 5 yards, and subsequent 15 yards" rule.
Nope, sideline warning is only for having players/4+ coaches in the coaching box. Being on the field is a foul and there is no warning for this. But some officials do use a sideline warning in this case even though that is not correct by rule.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I know technically I am wrong here and with that being said...

If it is a smaller game 7th-8th grade, JH or maybe even a Frosh game, I don't have a serious problem if the coach is up to a few steps on the field if he is "coaching" younger players whom are still learning.

But the coach loses that if he has been "active" with me too!

JV/V it's a few "get back coach", "I need the line coach". JV/V games have yet to be a problem though we've discussed the sideline warnings and using them this year at the higher levels. (Maybe this Friday it'll happen...)

WM
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, sideline warning is only for having players/4+ coaches in the coaching box. Being on the field is a foul and there is no warning for this. But some officials do use a sideline warning in this case even though that is not correct by rule.
The IHSA (Illinois) actually wants us to issue a sideline warning when a coach is on the field. The director of officiating is aware that this is technically not correct, but that is the way they want it handled.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

This year I have been meeting with the "Get back" coach before each game to make sure he understands his responsibilities. I spend just as much time with him as I do with the ball boy and chain crew.