View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
In Wisconsin last night we had our #1 ranked Div 1 (biggest schools) playing our #2 ranked Div 2 team, they play in the same conference. On a 4th and 4 from their own 26 yard line the runner is stopped just short of the 30 yard line just inside the hash mark chains side. The Linesman makes no attempt to hustle in and get a spot, the umpire throws him the ball to spot it, he is still on the sideline. The coach whose team is on offense just takes off and sprints across the entire field and starts protesting the spot and that they moved the ball before taking a measurement. It looks like he has just lost his mind, the officials make NO attempt to walk him back to the sideline and he is out there for at least three minutes talking (ranting) with the referee. The coach was not flagged! How would you have handled the coach in this situation?
They will probably get rated a 6 and probably have a Level 2 / Level 4 / State assignment this season. Sigh.

Me? Well, our wing would've busted in to a spot and we would've measured (edited to add that we wouldn't if it was a touchback and we knew that the 30 was needed for the first down). Had the coach ran on the field I would've flagged him immediately and not entertained any discussion with him until he was off the field. If he would've refused to leave the field, I would've borrowed my umpire's flag (only half joking as I rarely carry two flags, although in a heated matchup I probably would've put one in the back pocket) and shown him the door.

Last edited by Rich; Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 01:22pm.