The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
did you watch it in full screen mode?
BTW the QB is Left handed. He has a concussion.
Sure looks like H to H contact...even from that far away. Take it fullscreen...easier to see. White hat looked to be staring right at it.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Got a kid tonight for head butt of the passer. Called it as PF, illegal helmet contact. Add 15 to end of run.

My reward was a pick 6. 103 yards of it. Beat him to the end zone!
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Did you toss him? I think the QB trying to throw or after, falls under #3

Disqualification also if any foul is flagrant – (S47).

i. Initiate illegal helmet contact. (butt block, face tackle or spear)
NOTE: Illegal helmet contact may be considered a flagrant act. Acts to be considered
flagrant include, but are not limited to:
1. Illegal helmet contact against an opponent lying on the ground,
2. Illegal helmet contact against an opponent being held up by other players,
and/or
3. Illegal helmet-to-helmet contact against a defenseless opponent.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

From the 2010 NFHS slide show
Illegal Helmet Contact (Point of Emphasis):

In response to an alarming number of head and neck injuries resulting in death or paralysis during the 1960s and early 1970s, all forms of initiating contact with the helmet were ruled illegal in 1976. At the same time, coaches emphasized the illegality and danger of such tackling techniques and taught their athletes proper, safer methods of tackling and blocking. While catastrophic cervical spine injuries are still a danger, rates rapidly declined in the late 1970s and have stayed relatively low since that time.

Concussions have come under increasing attention in football during the past several years, garnering attention from television, newspapers and the United States Congress. The NFHS has been at the forefront of national sports organizations in emphasizing the importance of concussion education, recognition and proper management for the past several years. In addition, High School RIO and the National High School Sports Related Injury Surveillance Study provides the NFHS SMAC with information about concussion rates and mechanisms. Among the most concerning concussion data from the 2009 football season were that concussions accounted for 19.3 percent of all injuries reported and 63.1 percent of all concussions resulted from helmet-to-helmet contact!

Currently, illegal helmet contact is defined under NFHS Rule 2-20-1 as an “act of initiating contact with the helmet against an opponent.” There are three specific types of illegal helmet contact:
1. Butt Blocking is an act by an offensive or defensive player who initiates contact against an opponent who is not a ball carrier with the front of his helmet.
2. Face Tackling is an act by a defensive player who initiates contact with a ball carrier with the front of his helmet.
3. Spearing is an act by an offensive or defensive player who initiates contact against any opponent with the top of his helmet.

Clearly, any initiation of contact with the helmet by a player is already deemed an illegal act. However, given the frequency of this type of contact, these illegal methods of initiating contact continue to either be taught or condoned in practices, and are infrequently penalized during games. In light of increasing concerns about the incidence and severity of concussions in football, including the risk of death and long-term disability, the NFHS SMAC and the NFHS Football Rules Committee call upon coaches to insist that players do not initiate contact with any portion of the helmet against an opponent. Furthermore, officials must recognize and penalize all illegal helmet contact. Only through continual repetition of proper technique in practice including the correction of illegal acts when they occur, AND the consistent penalizing of illegal helmet contact in games will athletes lower the risk of concussion for their opponents and themselves.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins- not through strength but by perseverance."
And sometimes because the stream is smart enough to choose to change it's course and flow around an obstacle rather than waste it's strength trying to beat it's head against it.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 03:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Got a kid tonight for head butt of the passer. Called it as PF, illegal helmet contact. Add 15 to end of run.
Where was the ball when the foul occurrred?
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Furthermore, officials must recognize and penalize all illegal helmet contact. Only through continual repetition of proper technique in practice including the correction of illegal acts when they occur, AND the consistent penalizing of illegal helmet contact in games will athletes lower the risk of concussion for their opponents and themselves.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 05:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
And sometimes because the stream is smart enough to choose to change it's course and flow around an obstacle rather than waste it's strength trying to beat it's head against it.
+1!!!

Peace
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
and sometimes because the stream is smart enough to choose to change it's course and flow around an obstacle rather than waste it's strength trying to beat it's head against it.
+54-0
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

http://epod.typepad.com/.a/6a0105371...8cca970c-640wi

and sometimes it keeps pounding!