The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Helmet Contact

Since the word "intentional" has been taken out of the spearing rule this year. Have you found you're calling more Illegal Helmet Contact penalties. I've called three this year.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I've called it twice. It wasn't a popular call either time. I even had one coach as me why there wasn't a warning. I asked if I should also warn when I see a facemask or clip.

Joking aside, this is one foul that I feel we're all guilty of not calling enough.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Our crew has had one.

It is a really tough call. You could call it on the runner more than anyone, as they put their head down all the time. If it is not with the top of the helmet, it is tough one to call.

Last edited by MJT; Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:30pm.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Our crew has had one.

It is a really tough call. You could call it on the runner more than anyone, as they put their head down all the time. If it is not with the top of the helmet, it is tough one to call.

I agree, it is a tough call to make. We've all been conditioned to look at a runner lowering his head as he goes through a hole as 'hard running'.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the first one I hade was pretty easy. The tackler came in, lowered his head, and hit the runner so hard he knocked his helmet off.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I think White Hats are more inclined to make that call against the QB. Otherwise, I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary regarding the call.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have called it more this year than in the past, but this foul is a point of emphasis with me. I really try to not call the contact when the runner lowers his head. But when the tackler lowers his I watch for contact directly on the top or forehead area of the helmet. I also look for the defender coming in with the helmet, usually diving. I'm also glad to note that most coaches often react toward the player the way we would if it was our kid. One coach told me that my flag was the third IHC foul for the same player this year. I wonder why it takes at least three flags to understand.

Our crew worked a game early this season when we DQ'd a defender who speared a downed runner. Three flags lay on the ground when it happened. It was vicious, and intentional too.

A while ago David Pollack of the Bengals broke his neck making a helmet first tackle. The next day Marvin Lewis said David did it "just like we teach them". I was amazed he would say that, and more amazed they teach that. Maybe that's why the kid above had three such fouls this year.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

In our pre-game with the coaches we warned them that would be an emphasis on what we watched, we as a crew averaged one a week for about the first 6 weeks, after that they seemed to have stopped.

When the coaches complain about it just remind them that one of the main reasons we are out there is for the safety of the kids playing.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen much of that called in my area. I called it once this year during a JV game, and it was blatant: The tackler put his head down and straight into the chest of the runner while running full speed. I flagged it, and the tackler couldn't believe I'd called a foul on him. His coaches didn't like it either.

I wouldn't be inclined to throw the flag on a runner. I think that's just part of playing football. If Walter Payton did it, I'm not flagging it.