View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
Last week, I called B78 for roughing the passer when he used his helmet to spear the QB. However, the timing of the hit was not late. I decided to go with the more accepted roughing call but maybe I should have just called the illegal helmet contact. I realize the only difference is the automatic first down, which in this case did not matter because it was 2nd and 10.
However, I wanted to get some feedback on whether Referees default to roughing on questionable hits on the QB. Also, in terms of mechanics could I have signaled both the Roughing call followed by illegal helmet contact signal to add clarification?

Any thoughts.
Sounds like you had a Roughing the Passer that involved Illegal Helmet Contact ... The Roughing the Passer is a Special Enforcement Penalty that is added to the end of the last run provided there is no change of possession. In the OP, if the pass was completed there would be a big difference in the enforcement between Roughing the Passer and Illegal Helmet Contact (Personal Foul).