The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Was there a full moon tonight?

Weird things happening.

Try hit the left upright dead center for the second week in a row.

Two penalties on TDs carried over to the subsequent kickoff.

A DB PF on the last play of the first half, that carried over to the second half KO.

BBW on a defender on a sweep. "He was just taking on the block!" "Coach, he can't cut the back anymore than the back can cut him. It's illegal for both sides."

Clipping on a sweep by the offense. Haven't called clipping since the BIB rule was issued years ago.

QB pump faked and the ball slipped out of his hand for an incomplete pass.

KCI - Pooch kickoff, K leaps and tries to catch the ball before R touches it. We pregame it every week but we've only had it one other time in the 13 years my R and I have worked together. Home coach, "He didn't call fair catch." "I know coach, I got it." Then had to explain when he didn't get the ball.

An unsuccessful 56 yard FGA that fell short in the end zone. You guessed it...visiting fans and coach went nuts, wanting the ball at the 46. We stopped and explained it. "Coach, it's a touchback." Laughing, the coach said, "Oh god, I f***ed up, didn't I?" He let the fans talk him into it. We couldn't help but laugh, too.

Glad all that's behind us!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 12:33am.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Maybe that's it. Interesting night last night AND tonight.

Last night's strange play was a blocked field goal that K picked up and passed (heaved) and caught by A52 for an apparent first down. A52 is a problem as a receiver, so we get together and have illegal touching. No real confusion after about a 30 second discussion to get everything right, but B's coach wants the ball. "Sorry, coach, you don't get the ball. Its a 5 yard mark off and a replay of the down." Coaches go crazy, insisting that I -- someone who just updated his pregame chart with loss of down fouls -- am wrong. I'm not. (NCAA) Illegal touching is 5 yards from previous spot. Period. K rekicks and makes it. My assignor is going to call him next week and tell him we got the call right since he mentioned the assignor by name, saying he would call him and let me know I was wrong. Last year, they try to convince us we'd missed a down. I'm convinced they are trying to bully us into certain calls and I've had enough of it.

Tonight was even more weird. We had TWO untimed downs due to penalties. Another blocked kick. Safety, a bunch of turnovers, high scoring (i.e. no defense) and a LONG game. A live ball personal foul (enforced half the distance) and a dead ball PF by the other team enforced the full 15 yards.

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 12:56pm.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

You reminded me of another.

QB muffs shotgun snap, picks it up, runs, pulls it back to pass, loses it again and of course #66 catches it in flight. We flagged it but discussed it and decided it was a fumble and not a pass.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 01:10am
Archaic Power Monger

Here's one that happened tonight:

Home team scores a touchdown and lines up to kick the extra point. The snap is bad, the holder jumps up and grabs the ball and runs into the pile to try and score. A defender strips the ball in the pile and takes off. Everybody gave up except for the ball carrier and the Referee. That's the first time I've seen that in person.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 01:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

Home team scores a touchdown and lines up to kick the extra point. The snap is bad, the holder jumps up and grabs the ball and runs into the pile to try and score. A defender strips the ball in the pile and takes off. Everybody gave up except for the ball carrier and the Referee. That's the first time I've seen that in person.
Of course in FED-land, that's easy.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Maybe that's it. Interesting night last night AND tonight.

Last night's strange play was a blocked field goal that K picked up and passed (heaved) and caught by A52 for an apparent first down. A52 is a problem as a receiver, so we get together and have illegal touching. No real confusion after about a 30 second discussion to get everything right, but B's coach wants the ball. "Sorry, coach, you don't get the ball. Its a 5 yard mark off and a replay of the down." Coaches go crazy, insisting that I -- someone who just updated his pregame chart with loss of down fouls -- am wrong. I'm not. (NCAA) Illegal touching is 5 yards from previous spot. Period. K rekicks and makes it. My assignor is going to call him next week and tell him we got the call right since he mentioned the assignor by name, saying he would call him and let me know I was wrong. Last year, they try to convince us we'd missed a down. I'm convinced they are trying to bully us into certain calls and I've had enough of it.

Tonight was even more weird. We had TWO untimed downs due to penalties. Another blocked kick. Safety, a bunch of turnovers, high scoring (i.e. no defense) and a LONG game. One other two other things I'm forgetting.
I am assuming from your name and that you stated NCAA, that you are in Texas and playing by NCAA rules

Under Fed rules Illegal Touching is 5 yards and loss of down. Rule 7-5-13.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

Dead ball in NFHS
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 10:37am
M.A.S.H.

Something was in the air last night...

We had an IW.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Under Fed rules Illegal Touching is 5 yards and loss of down.
Yes, NCAA. 5 yards from previous spot.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 02:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Something was in the air last night...

We had an IW.
So did we. My LJ's first ever and my crew's first IW in 6 years (the prior 2 were by officials no longer on the crew). I took a spoonful of crap on the sideline (another benefit of wearing the magic white hat).

It was a costly one as the ball had come loose and the opposition recovered and we had to give it back to A at the spot of the fumble (which was bagged) which was at the end of a long run.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

We had an odd play: QB rolls out, decides to run, as he crosses the NZ decides he's not going to make much on the play, and throws the ball away. IG and IFP on the same play!
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
We had an odd play: QB rolls out, decides to run, as he crosses the NZ decides he's not going to make much on the play, and throws the ball away. IG and IFP on the same play!
Same enforcement.

I think I would have skipped on the IFP and went with the grounding. Of course I didn't see the play, so I am just speculating.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You can have intentional grounding of a forward pass that's illegal?
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
You can have intentional grounding of a forward pass that's illegal?
Now that I look at it again. I am going with what he is talking about. If you have a illegal forward pass, it is irrelevant whether there is a receiver in the area. I don't think you can ground an illegal forward pass.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 06:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We had a near brawl this morning in a game that was a big, fat nothing until the final play.

Down 39-6, the visiting team called a timeout on defense with 3 seconds left in the game and 4th down for the home team (the clock was running). I slid over to the offense's huddle and listened in, cause I was expecting the QB to burn the 3 seconds and then fall to the ground. That's what the coach told him.

Then, for some unknown reason, the QB drops back and as he's chased with 0 left on the clock, he throws the ball away. As I'm quickly contemplating calling IG (cause there was nobody even close to the pass), a player for the home team throws down a player for the visiting team. All the officials get between the players and there's a lot of yelling and screaming and the coaches come on the field to get between their players.

Discretion being the better part of valor, I passed on throwing a flag for IG and we walked off the field. As we did, there was almost a fight in the handshake line. That's the coaches' problem. We were already in the endzone and we did turn around and take a look at the proceedings, but we weren't going back.

While walking off, I was talking to a member of the chain crew, who simply said -- if they don't call that stupid timeout, none of this happens. No kidding, but we simply couldn't ignore the request since the head coach was screaming at the top of his lungs for the timeout.