The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Starting the clock

I'm a bit confused on this rule.

On 2nd and 10 A runs the ball for five yards. The clock is obviously running. On the next play, A throws an incomplete pass, there is a holding penalty called on A. B accepts the penalty.

Does the clock start on the snap because the play in which there was a penalty stopped the clock, or does it start on the ready for play because the clock was running before the play that included the penalty?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 04:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys View Post

On 2nd and 10 A runs the ball for five yards. The clock is obviously running. On the next play, A throws an incomplete pass, there is a holding penalty called on A. B accepts the penalty.

Does the clock start on the snap because the play in which there was a penalty stopped the clock, or does it start on the ready for play because the clock was running before the play that included the penalty?
CANADIAN RULING:

Before the 3-minute warning: on the RFP.
After the 3-minute warning: on the snap.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Which day of the week is it?

Seriously - this may be different depending on whether it's FED, NCAA, or NFL (or CFL - JR!).

NCAA: Starts on the snap because the play in which there was a penalty stopped the clock. I BELIEVE (but won't vouch 100%) Fed is the same.

I also believe NFL is different depending on the time of the game, but am not positive of that.

I do not think the status of the clock on the previous play is part of your decision making process in ANY code.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Which day of the week is it?

Seriously - this may be different depending on whether it's FED, NCAA, or NFL (or CFL - JR!).

NCAA: Starts on the snap because the play in which there was a penalty stopped the clock. I BELIEVE (but won't vouch 100%) Fed is the same.

I also believe NFL is different depending on the time of the game, but am not positive of that.

I do not think the status of the clock on the previous play is part of your decision making process in ANY code.
In FED the clock status is determined by the action during the down in which the foul occurred. If the action stopped the clock, then the clock starts on the snap. If the action that caused the down to end did not cause the clock to stop, (i.e., the only reason the clock was killed was to administer the penalty) then the clock starts on the RFP.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What happened to end the last play determines when the clock starts.

The penalty is of no consequence.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith