The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question

The LJ on my crew was working with another crew, and came back with this scenario. It is 4th and 13 yards-to-go with the ball on K's 40, clock is runing as previous play had been a running play. K elects to punt. The punt is fielded by R36 at R's 27 and returned out-of-bounds to R's 38. However, R69 is flagged for roughing the punter. Upon administration of the roughing penalty from the previous spot, it is 1st and 10 for K on R's 45. However, there is a dicrepency as to when the clock should wind. The Referee argued that it should start with the snap, as there had been a change of possession, in that the punt had gotten off, and was returned. The Linesman agreed that it should start on the snap, but his reasoning was because the action that caused the down to end (i.e. R running out-of-bounds), also caused the clock to stop (Rule 3-4-3a). The umpire and line judge argued it should start with the ready per Rule 3-4-2a in that the clock should start with the ready . . . when either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick. They argued due to the penalty there was no change of possession, and since it was a legal kick, combined with a penalty, which resulted in a new series of downs for K, clock starts on the ready, especially since the previous play was a running play. BJ stood mute.
What is your call on when to start the clock, and why?
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Here goes

I'm assuming Fed rules. The rule books are in the car and its raining out so I'm not going to go get them. I say that the action that caused the clock to stop was R running OB, therefore the clock starts on the snap after penalty enforcement.

When does the clock start on the ready for a new series following a legal kick?
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Its not raining over here...

This is one of those questions that they have on the NF football exam. Its just one of those things that you have to memorize.

Here goes: See rule 3-4-3c. It says that the clock will start with the snap..., if the clock was stopped because: Either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick.

It your case, K is awarded a new series following a legal kick so the clock should start on the snap.

No rain, no rainbows...
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

The penalty take presidence over all other action. The clock was actually stopped to administer the penalty not for the change of possession therefore the clock should start on the RFP.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

The status of the clock is determined by the results of the last play regardless of the penalty except for a delay of game or an inadvertant whistle.

In this case without the penalty there was a change of possession and the runner went out of bounds. The clock would be started on the snap.

The clock always stops to administer a penalty but the status of the clock is usually determined by the result of the down, even though, it may be replayed.

Might also note 3-4-3b,c state the clock will always start on the snap whenever B gains possession of the ball or either team following a legal kick.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Upon reading through my rulebook once again I see my error. I got up 2 hours early today to work OT. It's been a long day and I'm going to bed!
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

To change the situation slightly we had a play two years ago where K punted R caught the punt and was tackled in bounds. Prior to the punt blocking back K5 was flagged for block below the waist and penalty was accepted by R. In this case clock starts on RFP as we did not have a new series nor did result of play qualify as a major clock stopper. Had R fair caught punt or gone out of bounds then clock would have started on snap.