The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Winding and stopping clock

NFHS Minnesota only

In Minnesota, there was emphasis about cleaning up how we wind and stop the clock. Specifically they made reference in the online rules, not to wind the clock on a first down inbounds before stopping the clock for the first down to reset the chains. Just stop the clock. Then with the chains reset the R will wind the clock.
1st and 10. A1 catches a 5 yard pass near the sideline but is driven back and out of bounds. I give no signal but the clock operater stops the clock thinking the receiver was out of bounds. Can we wind this to indicate forward progress and inbounds, thus keeping the clock running?
I realize the clock operator made a mistake, but it isn't a problem for me to wind the clock. It's all about communication, right?
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS Minnesota only

In Minnesota, there was emphasis about cleaning up how we wind and stop the clock. Specifically they made reference in the online rules, not to wind the clock on a first down inbounds before stopping the clock for the first down to reset the chains. Just stop the clock. Then with the chains reset the R will wind the clock.
1st and 10. A1 catches a 5 yard pass near the sideline but is driven back and out of bounds. I give no signal but the clock operater stops the clock thinking the receiver was out of bounds. Can we wind this to indicate forward progress and inbounds, thus keeping the clock running?
I realize the clock operator made a mistake, but it isn't a problem for me to wind the clock. It's all about communication, right?
On that play, you have to wind. You're telling the clock operator that progress was stopped inbounds.

I'm not a huge fan of winding and then stopping on first downs. On all first downs in the side zone, I'm asking the wing before the RFP if I'm winding or not. To me, it's repetitive and many officials don't make it look good. And it could be confusing to the clock operator who may take his eyes away after the initial wind.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
On that play, you have to wind. You're telling the clock operator that progress was stopped inbounds.

I'm not a huge fan of winding and then stopping on first downs. On all first downs in the side zone, I'm asking the wing before the RFP if I'm winding or not. To me, it's repetitive and many officials don't make it look good. And it could be confusing to the clock operator who may take his eyes away after the initial wind.
And on any first down play in my side zone, I'm signalling my white hat in or out before he even looks over, and waiting for eye contact and a nod.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 11:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
And on any first down play in my side zone, I'm signalling my white hat in or out before he even looks over, and waiting for eye contact and a nod.
Sure. For us, it's a mutual thing. I'm looking and he's telling me. Same with ball placement near the tape in the middle of the chain -- I'm looking to the linesman and he's telling me if "five will get us one." Lots of communication all game long -- some verbal, some not.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see how a play is in the side zone you are not winding the clock if the ball is ruled inbounds? This is not just crew communication this is for the clock operator. I am not talking about a play in the middle. I am only talking about a play where clock status is at issue. Why would you not want to tell the clock operator and the coaches what you got? That is only common sense. The Referee might not even see you give the signal and it is really not for him anyway. But if you kill the clock and wind it on the RFP I can see a coach being caught off guard and not hurrying as they think the clock is not going to start.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see how a play is in the side zone you are not winding the clock if the ball is ruled inbounds? This is not just crew communication this is for the clock operator. I am not talking about a play in the middle. I am only talking about a play where clock status is at issue. Why would you not want to tell the clock operator and the coaches what you got? That is only common sense. The Referee might not even see you give the signal and it is really not for him anyway. But if you kill the clock and wind it on the RFP I can see a coach being caught off guard and not hurrying as they think the clock is not going to start.

Peace
On a play that gains a first down where I'm winding it after the box is set, I'm communicating to the coaches that we're winding on the ready. The signal from the wing, to me, is unnecessary.

Your mileage may (and seems to) vary. I just don't think that giving two opposing signals back to back is great communication, either. A coach may see the second signal only and could misinterpret anyway.

Always felt that way, but not terribly strongly. Shrug.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think trying to rely on communicating to the coaches independent of our signally would either slow us down or they would not get the information as consistently. Then again as long as your crew knows what is going on ultimately that is all that really matters. But that is what other levels do and how we are instructed to do that mechanic. It also shows well on tape for an easy reference. Tape will not show our crew signals.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

This seems like another, "much ado about nothing" special attention. Wing officials giving a wind signal on plays close to the sideline is one of a clock operators best friends. It answers an otherwise open question.

I can't see where eliminating this practice makes the tiniest bit of sense or serves any useful purpose. One of the other "Timer's best friend" signals is the often criticized practice of giving a stop the clock signal after giving the incomplete pass signal. Yes, I understand that the incomplete pass signal, in and by itself denotes the clock should be stopped, but it only works when the clock operator can see the signal.

Giving an incomplete pass signal in front of the team area on the clock side of the field is, a lot more often than not, unseen by the clock operator, and following up with a fully extended Stop the clock signal is the ONLY signal the clock operator will actually see. Of course that brings up yet another "Timer's best friend" signal, which is the TO signal given by the opposite wing man (Umpire or Referee) who follows up the incomplete pass signal.

Thr single most important purpose of any officials signal is to convey a message to an intended party. #1 priority of clock related signals is communicating with the clock operator, anything and everything else is secondary and doesn't matter nearly as much.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Are you saying that in Minn. someone has instructed officials to give signals for the clock operator that are contradictory as far as everybody on the field is concerned, just so the clock operator and others concerned will keep in mind that a "wind" command is "in the pocket" while awaiting RFP when a new series is awarded? Couldn't you use some other signal than one that's supposed to mean "run the clock now"?
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Giving an incomplete pass signal in front of the team area on the clock side of the field is, a lot more often than not, unseen by the clock operator, and following up with a fully extended Stop the clock signal is the ONLY signal the clock operator will actually see. Of course that brings up yet another "Timer's best friend" signal, which is the TO signal given by the opposite wing man (Umpire or Referee) who follows up the incomplete pass signal.
Never seen this as a problem if they give the proper signal the way you are supposed to.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 02:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Never seen this as a problem if they give the proper signal the way you are supposed to.

Peace
Every time I see an official give the stop clock signal, I wonder what part of "incomplete pass stops the clock" the official doesn't understand.

Of course, I've seen white hats wind the clock on the snap, which I find even more idiotic.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never seen this as a problem if they give the proper signal the way you are supposed to. Peace
If you haven't done so already, some time when you get a chance watch a ballgame from the booth (from the clock operators vantage point) take a moment and observe how little you see of the wing official on the near sideline while he's in front of the team area.

Even the most perfect incomplete pass signals easily go unseen. Perhaps the best way to understand what's happened is to find an off official, who has picked up the incomplete and is signalling to stop the clock.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
If you haven't done so already, some time when you get a chance watch a ballgame from the booth (from the clock operators vantage point) take a moment and observe how little you see of the wing official on the near sideline while he's in front of the team area.

Even the most perfect incomplete pass signals easily go unseen. Perhaps the best way to understand what's happened is to find an off official, who has picked up the incomplete and is signalling to stop the clock.
I will put it this way, then they are not doing it right or multiple officials are not doing it. I cannot imagine not seeing a signal if you do it the proper way by staying upright and signaling more than once and under control. I personally go to the press box every game as I give the game cards. I always look around from the vantage point of the timer. There are not many instances where they would not be able to see officials on the field. And with the teams moving back in from the restricted area, not sure why an official would not be seen.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will put it this way, then they are not doing it right or multiple officials are not doing it. I cannot imagine not seeing a signal if you do it the proper way by staying upright and signaling more than once and under control. I personally go to the press box every game as I give the game cards. I always look around from the vantage point of the timer. There are not many instances where they would not be able to see officials on the field. And with the teams moving back in from the restricted area, not sure why an official would not be seen.

Peace
Been a long time, but I have run the clock in several games, and I never recall having a problem seeing ANY official signal anything.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
Been a long time, but I have run the clock in several games, and I never recall having a problem seeing ANY official signal anything.
Maybe it's just me, or where they place booths here, but when you have a 5'10" Line Judge, making a call on sideline pass, from a position off the field, in front of the Team Box, filled with 30-40 6'+ players in full football gear, I often have trouble (1) finding that official (2) if finding, trouble clearly seeing anything he might signal below over his head.

Usually, the off officials converging on the spot from within the field pick up the incompletion and signal stopping the clock, which is often the only signal I can see. Other than those type plays, seeing and understanding incomplete pass signalling is not a problem. The point is, that whatever the reason even the most perfect signal, that for whatever reason is not seen by the person it's intended for, isn't working and requires adjustment.

Despite our desire for consistency, "one size rarely, if ever, fits all".