View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 03, 2010, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see how a play is in the side zone you are not winding the clock if the ball is ruled inbounds? This is not just crew communication this is for the clock operator. I am not talking about a play in the middle. I am only talking about a play where clock status is at issue. Why would you not want to tell the clock operator and the coaches what you got? That is only common sense. The Referee might not even see you give the signal and it is really not for him anyway. But if you kill the clock and wind it on the RFP I can see a coach being caught off guard and not hurrying as they think the clock is not going to start.

Peace
On a play that gains a first down where I'm winding it after the box is set, I'm communicating to the coaches that we're winding on the ready. The signal from the wing, to me, is unnecessary.

Your mileage may (and seems to) vary. I just don't think that giving two opposing signals back to back is great communication, either. A coach may see the second signal only and could misinterpret anyway.

Always felt that way, but not terribly strongly. Shrug.