The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 08:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Maybe it's just me, or where they place booths here, but when you have a 5'10" Line Judge, making a call on sideline pass, from a position off the field, in front of the Team Box, filled with 30-40 6'+ players in full football gear, I often have trouble (1) finding that official (2) if finding, trouble clearly seeing anything he might signal below over his head.

Usually, the off officials converging on the spot from within the field pick up the incompletion and signal stopping the clock, which is often the only signal I can see. Other than those type plays, seeing and understanding incomplete pass signalling is not a problem. The point is, that whatever the reason even the most perfect signal, that for whatever reason is not seen by the person it's intended for, isn't working and requires adjustment.

Despite our desire for consistency, "one size rarely, if ever, fits all".
Our LJ is shorter than 6 feet as he is almost always on the home or press box side. I cannot recall that the clock has not stopped when he gave a signal. You are right not everything fits perfectly. Just never seen this as a major problem.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Are you saying that in Minn. someone has instructed officials to give signals for the clock operator that are contradictory as far as everybody on the field is concerned, just so the clock operator and others concerned will keep in mind that a "wind" command is "in the pocket" while awaiting RFP when a new series is awarded? Couldn't you use some other signal than one that's supposed to mean "run the clock now"?

On the Minnesota officials website, they gave an example of an official winding the clock before stopping it after a first down. They told us not to do it anymore. I don't exactly know their reasoning, so I was asking any MN official "in the know" if we should or shouldn't wind the clock in the side zone where forward progress is established inbounds before being taken out of bounds behind progress spot. If we give no signal the clock should still run, however I believe it's a good communication tool to wind the clock in this situation. That is only my opinion. I can see both sides of the argument and was just wondering which they want us to do since this situation wasn't specifically covered.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
On the Minnesota officials website, they gave an example of an official winding the clock before stopping it after a first down. They told us not to do it anymore. I don't exactly know their reasoning...
Ohio now has the same mechanic. Once the line to gain has been reached, the covering official should stop the clock whether the runner is inbounds or out. The rationale is to preserve time on the game clock: rather than winding and then stopping, which might run off another couple seconds, kill it immediately to move the chains.

Communicating that the runner was inbounds is a separate step among the crew, and there's plenty of time to manage that later.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS Minnesota only

In Minnesota, there was emphasis about cleaning up how we wind and stop the clock. Specifically they made reference in the online rules, not to wind the clock on a first down inbounds before stopping the clock for the first down to reset the chains. Just stop the clock. Then with the chains reset the R will wind the clock.
1st and 10. A1 catches a 5 yard pass near the sideline but is driven back and out of bounds. I give no signal but the clock operater stops the clock thinking the receiver was out of bounds. Can we wind this to indicate forward progress and inbounds, thus keeping the clock running?
I realize the clock operator made a mistake, but it isn't a problem for me to wind the clock. It's all about communication, right?
Last year you wound the clock. This year you don't. Two years from now they will tell you you must wind again.

Where I work they forbid us from wearing black shorts to work lower level games for 20 years previous. Last year they allowed them. Next year we are ONLY allowed to wear black.

The point is that there are people making a living by telling officials what to do. They need to justify their existance on the payroll. Be patient.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
Been a long time, but I have run the clock in several games, and I never recall having a problem seeing ANY official signal anything.
You wouldn't recall something you didn't see, would you?
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

phansen, my understanding of what Minnesota wants us to do is to signal stop the clock to stop a running clock and wind the clock for a stopped clock. We are not to wind a running clock or wind it and immediately stop it for some covert signal of when to start the clock.

The white hat controls when to restart the clock following a stopped-clock play. If he doesn't wind it, then it starts on the snap or first touching on a kick off.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Sure. For us, it's a mutual thing. I'm looking and he's telling me. Same with ball placement near the tape in the middle of the chain -- I'm looking to the linesman and he's telling me if "five will get us one." Lots of communication all game long -- some verbal, some not.
Same here.