The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
winding the clock

i would like to know the correct mechanic on winding the clock after a first down. is the correct for just the referee to wind the clock or for everyone to wind it? i would like to know the correct fed. mechanic.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Do you mean on the RFP? If so, only the R winds.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: All I can find in the Federation Mechanics Manual (2004-2005 edition) is on pge 19 under "Declaring the ball ready for play." Says there that the R winds the clock if necessary. Doesn't mention the clock for the of\ther officials. However, I would recommend that the official responsible for the game clock (BJ) also wind. It cues the ECO who might be watching him, and it confirms to the R that the clock should run.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 03:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan
i would like to know the correct mechanic on winding the clock after a first down. is the correct for just the referee to wind the clock or for everyone to wind it? i would like to know the correct fed. mechanic.
In Canada, the Referee winds the clock in. Exception: on a kick-off, the official closest to the receiver winds the clock in.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

After a first down, the R winds the clock. Bob, I have never seen a BJ do it after a 1st. Even when the chains are brought out and taken off, the R signals RFP and winds it.

Of course, I would also add and repeat what someone else mentioned, on a KO, the one closest to the R would wind.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan
In my association in Virginia, the R winds the clock and the LJ mirrors the signal.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I know crews in Wisconsin where all five wind.

On my crew, only the white hat (me) winds. It's my job.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know where these odd clock mechanics come from, but the only person who should wind on the RFP is the Referee.

That being said, the official who has responsibility for the game clock may do a secondary wind should he notice that the clock was not properly started by the CO. That could be the LJ in 4 man, BJ in 5 or 7 man and the FJ in 6-man (assuming I remember the details correctly).

Clock operator meetings should clear up who he/she is to be watching out there.

All officials winding on the RFP... that is really absurd.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
I don't know where these odd clock mechanics come from, but the only person who should wind on the RFP is the Referee.

That being said, the official who has responsibility for the game clock may do a secondary wind should he notice that the clock was not properly started by the CO. That could be the LJ in 4 man, BJ in 5 or 7 man and the FJ in 6-man (assuming I remember the details correctly).

Clock operator meetings should clear up who he/she is to be watching out there.

All officials winding on the RFP... that is really absurd.
In the 7-man college games I've seen, the BJ mirrors the R's 'wind the clock' signal with the RFP. That would be the one and only person I could see mirroring it, but I can't really see there is that much advantage to it (other than that this person is "reminded" of clock status--i.e. start on the snap or on the ready). I also agree that it would look kinda silly, IMHO, if all members of the crew wind it.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Could be a conference (Ya do what the super say to do) thing if you seen the BJ winding with the R.

Not in any CCA mechanics manual I've seen nor in any NCAA game I've done using 7-man (CCA) mechanics.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 05:30pm
(Something hilarious)

NFHS 3-6-1

"The ball is marked ready for play when, after it has been placed for a down, the referee gives the ready-for-play signal. The 25-second count shall then begin."
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

In NFHS games, BJ (in 5 man games) should instruct the clock operator to keep his eye on the R when the clock is stopped, for the cue as to when to wind it, whether it is the snap or the RFP. The whole crew winding is a little over the top.