The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Field Logos-Help

In the last month, I saw a diagram of a field showing a large logo. The presentation stated that when a large logo is on the field "shadow lines" should be used to identify the yardlines. Not sure where, when I saw this. Now I need to know. Anyone else seen this? Any help will be appreciated.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I am assuming you mean the logos that are in the middle of the field. Yes that is what the rule says. There must be shadow lines threw the logo (similar to basketball).

What is the question?

Peace
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

What is the question?

Peace[/QUOTE]

Why synthetic field manufacturers don't know this rule?

Went to a brand new stadium last season. "Hey, Mr. AD, your field is awesome. It's also illegal." [Slumped shoulders.]
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

This is about 101 on my list of 100 things I worry about before a game.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
In the last month, I saw a diagram of a field showing a large logo. The presentation stated that when a large logo is on the field "shadow lines" should be used to identify the yardlines. Not sure where, when I saw this. Now I need to know. Anyone else seen this? Any help will be appreciated.
You probably saw it in rule 1-2-3 Note 2 (it also appeared in the NFHS pre-season powerpoint, I believe):

If the field of play has a logo in the center or at any other part of the field of play,
that logo should not distract from the visibility of the required marks every five
yards. A solid or shadow-bordered 4-inch-wide line is permissible. A shadow line is
a line that designates the required 4-inch width by use of a border or outline lines,
at least ¼-inch wide which shall lie within the 4-inch width. Shadow lines that are the
natural color of the field of play are permissible. The area within these lines need not
be one color, but the continuous 4-inch-wide outline must be clearly visible to the
officials.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You probably saw it in rule 1-2-3 Note 2 (it also appeared in the NFHS pre-season powerpoint, I believe):

If the field of play has a logo in the center or at any other part of the field of play,
that logo should not distract from the visibility of the required marks every five
yards. A solid or shadow-bordered 4-inch-wide line is permissible. A shadow line is
a line that designates the required 4-inch width by use of a border or outline lines,
at least ¼-inch wide which shall lie within the 4-inch width. Shadow lines that are the
natural color of the field of play are permissible. The area within these lines need not
be one color, but the continuous 4-inch-wide outline must be clearly visible to the
officials.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Got a call from a family member who is a volunteer at our local high school. THe school got a huge new stencil that obliterates the 50 yard line. He wanted to know the rule. Knew that I had seen it. Thanks again.

With regard to fields, I worked a game at a school that had just put in a new grass field. AD was proudly showing us his new sprinkler system. Problem was that there were four sprinkler heads encased in a 12 inch diameter circle of concrete that rose an inch or so above the field level. The relationship quickly went south. ANyone have other field problems over the years.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Just one - a JH field that was so old an unkempt that it was dangerous. I worked there once and told the AD about the problem and he cut me off. I told my assignor and said I wouldn't work there again. Eventually, several officials had done the same thing and the assignor simply told the school he wouldn't assign anyone to work that field. Games had to be moved. Took them 2 years to fix it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Come on guys...anyone who would make a big deal out of this during the pre-game needs to seriously re-evaluate why they are officiating. This does not effect player safety and it doesn't give one team an advantage over another. With so many other things to worry about during a game why even bother giving it a second thought?
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
Come on guys...anyone who would make a big deal out of this during the pre-game needs to seriously re-evaluate why they are officiating. This does not effect player safety and it doesn't give one team an advantage over another. With so many other things to worry about during a game why even bother giving it a second thought?
Welllllllll.......this is why like politics officiating is local. In our state we as officials notice such a thing we document it and email the administrator of football that the field is not marked correctly. We still play the game and no penalties are issued. But if the field is marked incorrectly it can affect at team hosting a playoff game. And if there are no markings on the field that show the line, it could cause a problem with measurements and other duties. Not the biggest deal, but could interfere with some things. Just like if you have other lines not marked properly it could affect some things in the game. Not the highest of priority, but not totally unimportant either.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 11:47am
Chain of Fools

The largest county in our region has 6 county high schools and 1 city high school. All added artificial turf over the last 5-6 years prior to the economy going south.

Every one of those fields is improperly marked with their mid-field logos. One even copies an NFL logo. The lack of shadow lines was noted long ago but we keep right on playing.

The city school had no restricted area marked when it was laid.
We've suggested waterbased painted line, we've suggested a big roll of tape. They refuse to add one.
A D2 school is going to use their field this season but I've heard they won't mark it for them either. I'm interested to see how that is going to work out.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Welllllllll.......this is why like politics officiating is local. In our state we as officials notice such a thing we document it and email the administrator of football that the field is not marked correctly. We still play the game and no penalties are issued. But if the field is marked incorrectly it can affect at team hosting a playoff game. And if there are no markings on the field that show the line, it could cause a problem with measurements and other duties. Not the biggest deal, but could interfere with some things. Just like if you have other lines not marked properly it could affect some things in the game. Not the highest of priority, but not totally unimportant either.

Peace
Same in WI...make a note and contact the State Office via email.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you think about it, the rule is in place to help officials. Why would you not want to enforce a rule that makes it easier to officiate the game? I agree most of the time it wouldn't matter, but what about the one time it would?
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't understand your post Sloth. THe original post was an effort by a school to make sure they were following the rules regarding logos. None of the responsive posts indicated that they would enforce this rule to the letter. So what "guys" are you talking about?
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't understand your post Sloth. THe original post was an effort by a school to make sure they were following the rules regarding logos. None of the responsive posts indicated that they would enforce this rule to the letter. So what "guys" are you talking about?
There is no penalty for this rule not having the field without these markings (at least none I am aware of). The NF just wants to limit where and how there are markings on the field.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ANyone have other field problems over the years.
An 11 man field built into a space for an 8-man field. Benches and water faucets set in concrete 10 feet from each sideline. Both endlines where a good 3 feet beneath the goal line, with a fence tied to the recessed field goal post on one end of the field.

The only thing I hate almost as much is when we have to do an 8-man game on an 11-man field, its hard to call touchdowns on the 10 yard line. Then when a team is in FG range on 4th down, or for PATs we move the ball up 10 yards and then have to call touchdowns on any legal returns at the 20. That was our playoff game last year. The only nice part was every other ref in the state had to throw away a pair of knickers that night, but we were on an artifiical field.