The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
Question Logos on uniform

Hello, I am a football official who moonlights as a softball coach (and perhaps, someday in the future, an umpire). I am hoping the expert minds here can help me with a uniform question.

Is there any prohibition against including the image of a softball in a team's logo? I know there are such rules in MLB, and football has rules against penalty flag-colored pads and gloves, but I cannot find anything in the ASA rules about the subject. I am interested in learning if any of the youth-oriented rule codes ban the inclusion of such an image. Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
As long as the image is not near life-size and positioned where it would be a distraction on the pitcher or a deception on anyone, I don't know of any rule.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
As long as the image is not near life-size and positioned where it would be a distraction on the pitcher or a deception on anyone, I don't know of any rule.
Speaking ASA

There are no such uniform restrictions other than names/logo's of other softball associations.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

There are no such uniform restrictions other than names/logo's of other softball associations.
What about 6-6-B?
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

If the team has a uniform with something on it, the pitcher is required, by rule, to wear the same uniform. The pitcher is not permitted to wear a different uniform.

I don't know if you consider a uniform "an item".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are not correct, but how would you get around 3.6?
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
There is a rule in NF and LL that prohibits a likeness of a softball on the uniform. If you ask me it's a stupid rule. If a batter or other player gets confused because there's a picture of a softball on a uniform - they should be in therapy not softball. In ASA I defer to the experts in that field (no pun intended).

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the team has a uniform with something on it, the pitcher is required, by rule, to wear the same uniform. The pitcher is not permitted to wear a different uniform.

I don't know if you consider a uniform "an item".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are not correct, but how would you get around 3.6?
The question is not getting around 3.6, just following 3.6 w/o violating 6-6-B. If something on the pitcher is illegal or distracting, then literal application if 3.6 would mean no one can wear it. It's that applying the whole rule book thing.

Would you allow a pitcher with a life-size optic yellow softball on the front of her stride foot thigh?
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you allow a pitcher with a life-size optic yellow softball on the front of her stride foot thigh?
Does it match her purse and earrings??

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. This violates 6-6-B, and as such would fall under the last sentence of the first paragraph of rule 3-6... an illegal part of the uniform (for the pitcher).

The uniform rule says the uniforms must be alike in color and style, not that they must be identical (although that is probably the intent).

So, if the uniform includes black shorts with a life-sized optic yellow ball image on the leg of the shorts near the release point of the ball from the pitcher's hand, the pitcher may wear plain black shorts, or may wear her shorts backwards. But, the image of the softball has to go. Or, she can play shortstop.

OK, coach, call the UIC for a ruling.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
No. This violates 6-6-B, and as such would fall under the last sentence of the first paragraph of rule 3-6... an illegal part of the uniform (for the pitcher).

The uniform rule says the uniforms must be alike in color and style, not that they must be identical (although that is probably the intent).

So, if the uniform includes black shorts with a life-sized optic yellow ball image on the leg of the shorts near the release point of the ball from the pitcher's hand, the pitcher may wear plain black shorts, or may wear her shorts backwards. But, the image of the softball has to go. Or, she can play shortstop.

OK, coach, call the UIC for a ruling.
There's a team up here in Seattle with black sweat pants with an optic yellow ball on the right thigh with the player's jersey number in the ball. Same concept. Pitcher can't wear the sweats, or she can turn them backwards or inside out.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

y'all need to remember, 6.6.B does not forbid it unless the umpire deems the "item" to be a distraction.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
y'all ...
Practicing to move south, Mike?
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Practicing to move south, Mike?
Been there, done that and I will not make the same mistake twice.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
y'all need to remember, 6.6.B does not forbid it unless the umpire deems the "item" to be a distraction.
We'all thunk that was a given.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We'all thunk that was a given.
Just a note. Jewelry is not forbidden, by rule without the umpire's judgment, but many believe it is a given, thunk it or not.