The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Question on penalty after safety

Do not have my books with me-
A has 4th down on his own 30 yard line and is in scimmage kick formation- The ball sails over the punters head. while the ball is loose on the ground A11 kicks the ball on his own 5 yard line over the end line.
>
I assume- if the penalty is accepted the enforcement spot would be the 5 yard line and A would get a replay.
If the penalty is declined it results in a safety.
Is there enforcement on the kickoff following the safety?
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:31am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
Is there enforcement on the kickoff following the safety?
No because the penalty was declined. Fouls cannot carry over to a kick off after a safety except for those enforced from the succeeding spot (such as USC).
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Under NCAA Rules then that foul includes loss of down. Team B can decline the penalty, take the result of the play - a safety. Or Team B can have 1st and Goal from the two and a half yard line.

Can't answer for Fed Rules which I suspect is the answer you really wanted....
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Under NCAA Rules then that foul includes loss of down. Team B can decline the penalty, take the result of the play - a safety. Or Team B can have 1st and Goal from the two and a half yard line.

Can't answer for Fed Rules which I suspect is the answer you really wanted....
Illegal kick does NOT have a loss of down penalty in NFHS (9-7, 10-1-6).
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:51am
Archaic Power Monger

An illegal kick in Fed also doesn't always add a new impetus (force).
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
No because the penalty was declined. Fouls cannot carry over to a kick off after a safety except for those enforced from the succeeding spot (such as USC).
MAN should have known that

Sorry- had another senior moment. thanks for the reply.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
Not sure why B would accept the penalty. Keep the safety and get the ball back would be my choice...Jim
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemiller View Post
Not sure why B would accept the penalty. Keep the safety and get the ball back would be my choice...Jim
They might be playing NCAA rules and be down by 3 with less than a minute to play.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

In most cases (except the obvious), never assume what a coach will want to do on a penalty, especially one like this.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBullock View Post
In most cases (except the obvious), never assume what a coach will want to do on a penalty, especially one like this.
Disagree. 95% of the time the choice is obvious, so in MOST cases we can assume what the coach will choose. Moreover, doing so saves a LOT of time.

I agree that this case (at least for NCAA) is worth checking with the coach: it falls in the 5%.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Illegal kick does NOT have a loss of down penalty in NFHS (9-7, 10-1-6).
Did not know that! We play NCAA over here in Europe. But I do travel over to the US every couple of years and get the occasional HS game, so that is useful to know. Murphy's Law says it'll happen in my next HS game for sure......
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Did not know that! We play NCAA over here in Europe. But I do travel over to the US every couple of years and get the occasional HS game, so that is useful to know. Murphy's Law says it'll happen in my next HS game for sure......
Unfortunately, since I've inoculated you to that particular error, Murphy's Law will likely offer you some other mischance.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mbyron;686338]Disagree. 95% of the time the choice is obvious, so in MOST cases we can assume what the coach will choose. Moreover, doing so saves a LOT of time.
QUOTE]

Is it about saving US time or is the game about give the players & coaches a fair opportunity to win? As LOS officials, if we get the info to the coaches, they'll make the decision pretty quick, especially at the National Federation level of games. Even at the NCAA level, we want the coaches involved in critical decisions. Their jobs depend on it. If a mistake is made or someone starts second guessing, let the monkey be on them.

I'd rather be one that over-communicates with my sideline versus one that the coaches don't feel that they can take too.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=FBullock;686438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Disagree. 95% of the time the choice is obvious, so in MOST cases we can assume what the coach will choose. Moreover, doing so saves a LOT of time.
QUOTE]

Is it about saving US time or is the game about give the players & coaches a fair opportunity to win? As LOS officials, if we get the info to the coaches, they'll make the decision pretty quick, especially at the National Federation level of games. Even at the NCAA level, we want the coaches involved in critical decisions. Their jobs depend on it. If a mistake is made or someone starts second guessing, let the monkey be on them.

I'd rather be one that over-communicates with my sideline versus one that the coaches don't feel that they can take too.
So ... holding on the offense, offense scores a TD... you're going to go ask the coach what he wants? 3rd and 10, illegal motion, incomplete pass... you're going to go ask?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Your examples are NOT Critical decisions but I will let him know what's going on. Even with a good White Hat & good signals, they want more information. I feel it's better if we are proactive versus reactive.