The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Question on penalty after safety (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58653-question-penalty-after-safety.html)

kfo9494 Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:03am

Question on penalty after safety

Do not have my books with me-
A has 4th down on his own 30 yard line and is in scimmage kick formation- The ball sails over the punters head. while the ball is loose on the ground A11 kicks the ball on his own 5 yard line over the end line.
>
I assume- if the penalty is accepted the enforcement spot would be the 5 yard line and A would get a replay.
If the penalty is declined it results in a safety.
Is there enforcement on the kickoff following the safety?

Welpe Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfo9494 (Post 686264)
Is there enforcement on the kickoff following the safety?

No because the penalty was declined. Fouls cannot carry over to a kick off after a safety except for those enforced from the succeeding spot (such as USC).

With_Two_Flakes Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:36am

Under NCAA Rules then that foul includes loss of down. Team B can decline the penalty, take the result of the play - a safety. Or Team B can have 1st and Goal from the two and a half yard line.

Can't answer for Fed Rules which I suspect is the answer you really wanted....

mbyron Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes (Post 686271)
Under NCAA Rules then that foul includes loss of down. Team B can decline the penalty, take the result of the play - a safety. Or Team B can have 1st and Goal from the two and a half yard line.

Can't answer for Fed Rules which I suspect is the answer you really wanted....

Illegal kick does NOT have a loss of down penalty in NFHS (9-7, 10-1-6).

Welpe Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:51am

An illegal kick in Fed also doesn't always add a new impetus (force).

kfo9494 Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 686269)
No because the penalty was declined. Fouls cannot carry over to a kick off after a safety except for those enforced from the succeeding spot (such as USC).

MAN should have known that

Sorry- had another senior moment. thanks for the reply.

jemiller Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:05pm

Not sure why B would accept the penalty. Keep the safety and get the ball back would be my choice...Jim:)

mbyron Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemiller (Post 686316)
Not sure why B would accept the penalty. Keep the safety and get the ball back would be my choice...Jim:)

They might be playing NCAA rules and be down by 3 with less than a minute to play.

FBullock Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:50pm

In most cases (except the obvious), never assume what a coach will want to do on a penalty, especially one like this.

mbyron Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBullock (Post 686336)
In most cases (except the obvious), never assume what a coach will want to do on a penalty, especially one like this.

Disagree. 95% of the time the choice is obvious, so in MOST cases we can assume what the coach will choose. Moreover, doing so saves a LOT of time.

I agree that this case (at least for NCAA) is worth checking with the coach: it falls in the 5%.

With_Two_Flakes Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 686273)
Illegal kick does NOT have a loss of down penalty in NFHS (9-7, 10-1-6).

Did not know that! We play NCAA over here in Europe. But I do travel over to the US every couple of years and get the occasional HS game, so that is useful to know. Murphy's Law says it'll happen in my next HS game for sure......

mbyron Fri Jul 23, 2010 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes (Post 686360)
Did not know that! We play NCAA over here in Europe. But I do travel over to the US every couple of years and get the occasional HS game, so that is useful to know. Murphy's Law says it'll happen in my next HS game for sure......

Unfortunately, since I've inoculated you to that particular error, Murphy's Law will likely offer you some other mischance. :)

FBullock Fri Jul 23, 2010 01:55pm

[QUOTE=mbyron;686338]Disagree. 95% of the time the choice is obvious, so in MOST cases we can assume what the coach will choose. Moreover, doing so saves a LOT of time.
QUOTE]

Is it about saving US time or is the game about give the players & coaches a fair opportunity to win? As LOS officials, if we get the info to the coaches, they'll make the decision pretty quick, especially at the National Federation level of games. Even at the NCAA level, we want the coaches involved in critical decisions. Their jobs depend on it. If a mistake is made or someone starts second guessing, let the monkey be on them.

I'd rather be one that over-communicates with my sideline versus one that the coaches don't feel that they can take too.

MD Longhorn Fri Jul 23, 2010 04:24pm

[QUOTE=FBullock;686438]
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 686338)
Disagree. 95% of the time the choice is obvious, so in MOST cases we can assume what the coach will choose. Moreover, doing so saves a LOT of time.
QUOTE]

Is it about saving US time or is the game about give the players & coaches a fair opportunity to win? As LOS officials, if we get the info to the coaches, they'll make the decision pretty quick, especially at the National Federation level of games. Even at the NCAA level, we want the coaches involved in critical decisions. Their jobs depend on it. If a mistake is made or someone starts second guessing, let the monkey be on them.

I'd rather be one that over-communicates with my sideline versus one that the coaches don't feel that they can take too.

So ... holding on the offense, offense scores a TD... you're going to go ask the coach what he wants? 3rd and 10, illegal motion, incomplete pass... you're going to go ask?

FBullock Fri Jul 23, 2010 06:01pm

Your examples are NOT Critical decisions but I will let him know what's going on. Even with a good White Hat & good signals, they want more information. I feel it's better if we are proactive versus reactive.