The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA, if the offense scrambles back 100 yds into thier own end zone and is sacked then the defense scores 1 point, correct? So a score of 6-1 is possible?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I meant to say.........In NCAA, during a try, if the offense scrambles back 100 yds into thier own end zone and is sacked then the defense scores 1 point, correct? So a score of 6-1 is possible?

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

That is correct.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:47am
Small Business Owner

OREGON - 1 point for B

It is also possible in Oregon under NFHS rules as we are experimenting with allowing the defense to score on a try.

However, if your play occured under regular NFHS rules the result of the play would be an unsuccesful try as it is impossible for the defense to score on a try.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

KWH

How did that experiment work this year? Did anybody actually have B score?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

KWH...

REPLY: Kevin, I know when we spoke earlier in the season, you were collecting stats on your experiment. If you could summarize them, we love to see how it all turned out. My big question...how many IWs did you (not you personally!!) have on blocked tries??
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 05:21pm
Small Business Owner

Bob and Matt-
We have our championship games this coming weekend.
We will not total the reports until all the games are completed.

FYI, White hats were requested to send in a special game report anytime on of the following occured.
1) Anytime a try by kick was blocked. (With summary of play)
2) Anytime the defense gained control of any try (With summary of play)
3) Inadvertant whistles during a try (With summary of play)

We are keeping track of Youth games, frosh games, JV and varsity level games.

Yes, we have had the defense return the ball for 2-point touchdowns on MANY (more than anyone ever imagined) ccasions. (Longest I heard of was 104 yard interception return.) I personally had a blocked kick scooped up by a defensive player and returned roughly 90 yards for a defensive 2-point TD.

Yes, we had blocked kicks advanced(from behind the line) by the offense for a 2-point try.

And yes, we had inadvertant whistles on both blocked kicks and interceptions.

I am not aware of a 1-point safety being scored (by either team) during a try (other than Texas/Texas A&M).

We had at least one game that was decided by one point in which the winning team scored a defensive TD during a try.
There was other scoring in the game after the 2-point defensive touchdown, however arguably the 2-point touchdown did provid the winning margin.

Again, I don't have the totals as of yet but will post them on this site (and the NFHS site) as soon as I get them.

I will say this, when it happens it is one of the more exciting plays of the football game, and it really spices up what has become an almost routine (perhaps boring) play.

Think about this. Under the current NFHS rules, there is nothing "really" bad that can happen if during a try the QB just throws the ball up for grabs rather than get sacked.
No longer the case in Oregon!!!

I hope to post the results within two weeks...

Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

KWH

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to you posting your final results. Sounds as if alot of WH's will have to be getting into shape if NF adopts this rule.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 05:01pm
tpaul

NFHS 1 point safety

8.3.3 SITUATION: During a try, a fumble by A1 is nearly at rest on the 3-yard line when a muff by B1 is judged to be a new force causing the ball to go into B's end zone where B2 recovers and: (a) downs the ball in the end zone; or (b) advances to his 10-yard line. RULING: The try ends and the ball becomes dead when B2 recovers. In any ordinary down, such a dead ball in the end zone would be a safety, therefore, one point is scored for A in both (a) and (b). B cannot score during a try down. (4-2-2i; 8-1; 8-5-2b)