The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post
There is an incentive - to possibly avoid getting tackled and/or being at risk for coughing up the ball. A player could conceivably run full sprint not properly securing the ball, but prepared to toss it forward if there's a possibility of a tackle that could create a fumble. It's the onus of the ball carrier to known when or when it is not safe to throw a forward pass or for the ball to be properly thrown backwards.
That'd be ridiculously riskier of a fumble compared to being prepared to hit the dirt or (in some codes) cry "down".
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Forgive me Robert, but I have never accepted the logic, nor agree with the reasons for the legal "dumping" at the collegiate level, and hold out a glimmer of hope that rule will someday be recinded. I like the HS version a lot better where a team, who decides to throw a forward pass is limited to only 2 options; either attempt the pass or run with the ball. There's no "freebes" allowing the passer to legally "dump" the ball, when neither of the other 2 options appear reasonable (aside from a "spike").
So then what's wrong with loss of down in any of those situations?

Truth be known, I'm not a fan of allowing them to "gain" back to the previous spot on any incomplete pass, but in consideration of the uncertainty of completing one, the rules makers long ago decided to award that compensation. Nor do I like the idea of timing's being different depending on whether the ball becomes dead by incomplete pass or by run in or out of bounds. Yet the adoption of both such considerations have led to the further complications we see re intentional grounding and the spike.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
So then what's wrong with loss of down in any of those situations?
I would think "Loss of Down" should be automatic, after all the act of dumping a pass means the play the offense called failed, one way or the other, so why would even think of giving that down back. Rule wise, it is what it is, and that's the way it will bedealt with (until the rules makers decide to change it).

I believe, at the NFHS level, the Illegal pass is considered a running play, (NF: 10-3-1a) which eliminates the timing confusion.

The problem with allowed dumping (outside the tackle box) is that: 1. The offense chose which type play to call. 2. The defense has to respond to whatever is called. When the defense does it's job and prevents the offense from attempting a legal forward pass, why give the offense an unearned opportunity to negate their own failure and the accomplishment of the defense, by simply dumping the ball. The NF rule also provides for enforcing the penalty from the end of the run (with an illegal pass, the spot of the pass) whether it's beyond, or behind, the LOS.