View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
I'm a fan here, and I tried to find the answer in the rule book at ncaa.org, but I must not be looking in the right place:
Dont beat yourself up about it, I've been working NCA Rules for 20+ years and I still struggle to find the right place to look sometimes

Quote:
.....when they accept it, is the 5 yards marked off from the spot of the pass
Yes, 7-3-2 says the penalty for that type of illegal forward pass is 5yds from the spot of the foul plus loss of down.

Quote:
(B) If this is the case, what if after the five yards is marked off, the ball is still past the line to gain?
Then they get a new first down. It might help to think of "Loss of Down" as shorthand for "loss of the right to repeat a down after the penalty yardage has been marched". In your scenario, they don't need the right to repeat the down as they made enough yards (even after the foul) to move the chains.

To help make penalty enforcement on fouls by Team A make sense is to think of it like this....
1st and 10 from midfield. A player makes a great run to the 5yd line where he is tackled. His teammate held someone at the 10yd line.

It would be a harsh penalty indeed if we went all the way back to the neutral zone and marched the 10yd holding from there. The guy made 40 yds honestly. The hold at the 10 likely only affected the yards made from the 10 to the 5. So we march the holding penalty from the flag at the 10, back to the 20. That is still enough for a 1st down so they get a new 1st and 10.

Quote:
(C) If the QB passes beyond the line of scrimmage on a 2 point conversion and it's caught for an apparnet successful two point conversion, is the try simply no good and we kickoff?
You are correct. Rule 8-3-3-c-2 says:-
"If Team A commits a foul for which the penalty includes loss of down, the try is over, and the score is cancelled, and no yardage penalty is assessed on the succeeding kickoff. "