The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

For those of you in Wisconsin:

"The only request brought forth from the Officials Advisory Committee received acceptance from the Board, allowing football officials crews to wear approved black, cold-weather pants for all levels of competition, provided the pants are adopted by the NFHS."

I'm not exactly sure what "adopted by the NFHS" means, but it seems promising for next season. Maybe.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I feel like I should stick up for knickers. I was trying to figure out why I like them and I came up with this. The material of the knickers is similar to that of a pair of football pants. So, when I'm putting them on, there is a feeling like I am truly preparing for a football game. I know that sounds odd, but for this reason, I hope they never get ready of knickers.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

The black pants in football take some getting used to but they give a better appearance than shorts.

If New York were to approve them (that will probably occur in the next millenium) I would wear them for games where the weather is cold, especially, if it is rainy and cold. The problem with knickers in cold and wet conditions is they are so tight that when they get wet you get wet. The black pants allow you to wear a layer underneath to protect you from the cold and the rain.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Just my opinion, but the black pants made most of the crews in the Illinois televised playoffs games look more overweight than they were. It was originally stated that they would have a slenderizing affect---not so in my view. I have Honig's and I wish that they had a two inch stripe rather than a one inch strip.

I found the Honig's to be very warm in cold weather but too warm to wear in warm or hot weather---my crew never wears shorts.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Just my opinion, but the black pants made most of the crews in the Illinois televised playoffs games look more overweight than they were. It was originally stated that they would have a slenderizing affect---not so in my view. I have Honig's and I wish that they had a two inch stripe rather than a one inch strip.

I found the Honig's to be very warm in cold weather but too warm to wear in warm or hot weather---my crew never wears shorts.
I dont' think the black pants did anything negative or positive for the officials. Knickers would have shown the same thing as far as weight issues.

My crew wore the black pants from week 3 in 2009 and we don't plan on going back to white knickers unless someone subs on our crew without the black pants.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 07:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
I feel like I should stick up for knickers. I was trying to figure out why I like them and I came up with this. The material of the knickers is similar to that of a pair of football pants. So, when I'm putting them on, there is a feeling like I am truly preparing for a football game. I know that sounds odd, but for this reason, I hope they never get ready of knickers.

While I respect your opinion on "preparing for a football game" wouldn't you compare it to an umpire taking out the balloon chest protector and sticking with it because it helps him feel like he's getting ready to umpire a game when they now have something much better for umpiring. I don't think the knickers will go away...but why not use the foul weather pants for foul weather?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The material of the knickers is similar to that of a pair of football pants.
The material for the Honigs black pants is the same as the material for their super knickers. At least, it was in 2006 when they made them for the NFL guys and I was told recently it was the same.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Who gets to decide if it's "not cold enough?"

If these are approved, I may never wear my knickers with long sleeves again.
I am going to wear them if it rains also...even if it is 75 degrees outside.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For those of you in Wisconsin:

"The only request brought forth from the Officials Advisory Committee received acceptance from the Board, allowing football officials crews to wear approved black, cold-weather pants for all levels of competition, provided the pants are adopted by the NFHS."

I'm not exactly sure what "adopted by the NFHS" means, but it seems promising for next season. Maybe.
Just got approved this morning...we can wear them this fall!!!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who gets to decide if it's "not cold enough?"

If these are approved, I may never wear my knickers with long sleeves again.
Take it for what it's worth, and I don't know how inclement the weather is where the rest of you work, but every crew that I've talked to in WI has echoed the same sentiments as Rich regarding the white knickers. I've said it all along...why football officials wear white pants when almost every other sport wears dark pants is beyond me...even indoor sports. I know it's a visual thing and traditional to a degree, but I doubt that you'll get any arguments in saying that a good crew with alot of hustle will leave any game they do in soiled white knickers. I did the youth state championship game last year on the new "field turf" and left with stains on my whities. Add to that, the socks (and yes, stirrups) issue is now a moot point, as well. Black socks are the norm to go with the black pants get-up, from what I've been told.

Like 'em or hate 'em....they're here to stay. I'm curious "GoodwillRef"...was this the final vote that you heard about today, or just delayed news...? My WIAA bulletin from over a week ago mentioned the approval of the blackies. Just wondering if there was still some doubt as of this morning.

I've looked at both and can tell you that the Gerry Davis pants are slightly superior to the Honig's...IMO (sorry, Dick)

http://www.gerrydavis.com/mm5/catego.../F08PF12827200

http://www.honigs.com/sub/32/P27

Last edited by Canned Heat; Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 07:39pm. Reason: Added info...
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 05:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Take it for what it's worth, and I don't know how inclement the weather is where the rest of you work, but every crew that I've talked to in WI has echoed the same sentiments as Rich regarding the white knickers. I've said it all along...why football officials wear white pants when almost every other sport wears dark pants is beyond me...even indoor sports. I know it's a visual thing and traditional to a degree, but I doubt that you'll get any arguments in saying that a good crew with alot of hustle will leave any game they do in soiled white knickers. I did the youth state championship game last year on the new "field turf" and left with stains on my whities. Add to that, the socks (and yes, stirrups) issue is now a moot point, as well. Black socks are the norm to go with the black pants get-up, from what I've been told.

Like 'em or hate 'em....they're here to stay. I'm curious "GoodwillRef"...was this the final vote that you heard about today, or just delayed news...? My WIAA bulletin from over a week ago mentioned the approval of the blackies. Just wondering if there was still some doubt as of this morning.

I've looked at both and can tell you that the Gerry Davis pants are slightly superior to the Honig's...IMO (sorry, Dick)

Gerry Davis Sports: Davis Black Football Pants

Honig's Whistle Stop - P27 -Honig's Foul Weather Alternate Football Pants-
The last hurdle was the NFHS approving them as a uniform option. That's now done.

Depending on how hot these are, I may try them with short sleeves unless I'm told otherwise. I *despise* knickers. And my crew does not wear shorts, ever.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Not even close. At least not if you are looking at pictures. The Honigs brand have a better belt area and are much more fabric on them. I have to disagree having seen both pair up close and wearing the Honigs all year.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The following recommendation from our meeting on December 2, 2009 has gone before the WIAA Executive Staff, Sports Advisory Committee, Advisory Council and Board of Control. Action taken is noted after the recommendation.

Football officials would be allowed to wear approved black with white stripe cold weather pants for all levels of competition instead of the white knickers. All members of the crew would need to be dressed the same.

Sports Advisory = Yes 13-0
Executive Staff = Yes * amending recommendation to say if approved by NFHS Advisory Council = Yes 17-0 with staff¹s amendment Board of Control = Yes 10-0 with staff¹s amendment

The NFHS football rules writing committee has approved allowing the use of all-weather pants and this will now be included in football rules books.
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 09:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Approved for 2010 in Minnesota...the only conditions is that the entire crew must match with the approved black pants from Gerry Davis sports. No weather requirement. I am excited about this change.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

In Minnesota, do you guys wear long sleeves and gloves in scrimmages?