The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Black pants question for umpires

Just got my black pants and was thinking they would look good with a black towel instead of a white one. Any thoughts?

Also, I see that Honigs is now selling black ball flags. I wonder if black beanbags will be next.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 08:09pm
Stop staring at me swan.

yeah, i would say a black towel would be better than looking like a skunk...our state won't let us wear them yet though.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

So football officials have now gone from being fashion police to being fashion conscious.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
Just got my black pants and was thinking they would look good with a black towel instead of a white one. Any thoughts?

Also, I see that Honigs is now selling black ball flags. I wonder if black beanbags will be next.
The black (and white) balled flags are so you don't have to tape them anymore.

But yeah, go for a black towel. Might look good!
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wonder if black beanbags will be next.
We already use black bean bags.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post

The bean bags would not serve the same purpose as the flags with the black covering on the tip.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
We already use black bean bags.
Why?

Are they easier to see on the fields on which you officiate?
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The bean bags would not serve the same purpose as the flags with the black covering on the tip.

Peace
Sure they would. Both would match the color of the pants thus blending in instead of standing out.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Sure they would. Both would match the color of the pants thus blending in instead of standing out.
Bean bags are not used for penalties. No one cares if you reach for a bean bag.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 10:37pm.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At least Jeff and I can agree on one thing.

Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
You're assuming that everyone uses the black flags because they don't want to be seen reaching for it. I'm sure some use them because they like the look of them blending in with the pants. And I could see a situation coming up with a fumble where the official reaches for the beanbag but then rules that there was not a fumble.

And I don't think it would take too long for teams to realize that the white ball sticking out of your pants is the flag; it isn't some big secret.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
You're assuming that everyone uses the black flags because they don't want to be seen reaching for it. I'm sure some use them because they like the look of them blending in with the pants. And I could see a situation coming up with a fumble where the official reaches for the beanbag but then rules that there was not a fumble.

And I don't think it would take too long for teams to realize that the white ball sticking out of your pants is the flag; it isn't some big secret.
Assuming?

The reason those flags were created were to blend into the color of the pants. This was the reason for the white tipped flag in the first place. Before the white tipped flags, many official would put white tape on the ball portion of the flag so if they reached for their flag (if in their belt) it would not be as obvious as when you would reach for a yellow object. And this is also the reason the flags are suggested in many parts of the country to have them in your belt. It is not as obvious if you reach for your flag and then change your mind what sometimes happens. And no one made these flags with the black on them until the black pants were made available. That is the actually reason the flags were manufactured the way they were, not based on an assumption I am making.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Assuming?

The reason those flags were created were to blend into the color of the pants. This was the reason for the white tipped flag in the first place. Before the white tipped flags, many official would put white tape on the ball portion of the flag so if they reached for their flag (if in their belt) it would not be as obvious as when you would reach for a yellow object. And this is also the reason the flags are suggested in many parts of the country to have them in your belt. It is not as obvious if you reach for your flag and then change your mind what sometimes happens. And no one made these flags with the black on them until the black pants were made available. That is the actually reason the flags were manufactured the way they were, not based on an assumption I am making.

Peace
So that is why they were made that way. And you are sure that every person who has one of those flags bought it because of that specific reason.

What if I told you that I worked with an official in a youth game wearing white shorts using a flag with a black ball? Obviously he is not using that flag so that it blends in with his shorts. Maybe he likes that the black flag does not show dirt on the ball portion as easily as a white or yellow one. Maybe black is his favorite color. There seem to be a lot of reasons why people could want a black or white flag. You can assume that each one of them bought the flag so that they won't be seen reaching for the yellow and I will assume that at least 1 of those flags were sold for a different reason.

And if reaching for your flag is such a big deal why don't you just not reach for it unless you are going to call a foul?
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 04:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Assuming?

Peace
Wow. I guess I've been doing it all wrong all these years. I mean, I just figured the coaches *knew* I carried flags and didn't have to hide them.

It will be a cold day in you-know-where before I tape a flag or buy one with a ball any color other than yellow. (Unless I ever move up and then I'll do whatever they tell me to do, of course.)
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
At least Jeff and I can agree on one thing.

Oh, now you've done it. Look for a post that says "I never said I agreed with you..."