The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Black Pants (https://forum.officiating.com/football/55928-black-pants.html)

Larry0405 Tue Dec 15, 2009 07:57pm

Black Pants

Am wondering if New Jersey is the only state where we wear the black NFL style pants with the white stripe in inclement or cold weather?

BktBallRef Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:59pm

In the NC 4AA State Championship played last Saturday night, the crew was allowed to wear them. We're hoping that will be a sign of things to come.

Welpe Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:07am

Evidently they are approved in Texas though I haven't seen them first hand.

JRutledge Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry0405 (Post 642816)
Am wondering if New Jersey is the only state where we wear the black NFL style pants with the white stripe in inclement or cold weather?

Nope. We were allowed to wear them in Illinois. My crew had those most of the season as most of the games in the season it was either cold or raining before and during many games. We loved them and there were a couple of crews that wore them for the State Finals. We would have probably done the same if they were allowed a year earlier.

Peace

ump33 Wed Dec 16, 2009 07:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 642842)
In the NC 4AA State Championship played last Saturday night, the crew was allowed to wear them. We're hoping that will be a sign of things to come.

It is my understanding that an in-state officials supply company donated the pants for use in the only live televised championship game in NC. Generosity or marketing?

As for the crew ... it was not the pants that made them look good. I watched the game and I thought they did a very good job. Their mechanics and hustle were solid and continuous the entire game. Congratulations to the North State Crew from a Metrolina ref.

mbyron Wed Dec 16, 2009 07:23am

I have heard that Ohio will be allowing them next season.

Sonofanump Wed Dec 16, 2009 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 642914)
I have heard that Ohio will be allowing them next season.

I can confirm that.

mbyron Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump (Post 642923)
I can confirm that.

I don't think so. You don't know what I've heard.
:D

Sonofanump Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 642969)
I don't think so. You don't know what I've heard.
:D

I have heard second hand that both HZ and PK have said yes.
I have other "knowing" sources that do not work in Cbus that are already ordering them.

stevegarbs Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 642853)
Nope. We were allowed to wear them in Illinois. My crew had those most of the season as most of the games in the season it was either cold or raining before and during many games. We loved them and there were a couple of crews that wore them for the State Finals. We would have probably done the same if they were allowed a year earlier.

Peace

Actually, Rut, 4 of the 8 Illinois finals crews went with the black pants. I was so hoping for a majority vote so I could convince the hold outs on our crew to get them for next season!:cool:

johnSandlin Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:38pm

We can wear them in Michigan.

DeepWing55 Wed Dec 16, 2009 03:05pm

PA has approved them as well. These pants are a joke when guys wear them in this area of the country. Seriously, we have guys wearing them on 50 degree nights. And personally I don't think they look as tailored as the white knickers. Our crew worked the last weekend of November and the temps at nighttime were in the low 40s. Again, not cold enough to wear those pants.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 16, 2009 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ump33 (Post 642912)
It is my understanding that an in-state officials supply company donated the pants for use in the only live televised championship game in NC. Generosity or marketing?

As for the crew ... it was not the pants that made them look good. I watched the game and I thought they did a very good job. Their mechanics and hustle were solid and continuous the entire game. Congratulations to the North State Crew from a Metrolina ref.

Honigs in Raleigh had the pants on hand. I forget how Conner told me they ended up with them. Most of the booking agents were not in favor of them when they were last discussed, because of the cost issue. But i think each of us should be allowed to make that decision, not the booking agents. Mark is in favor of them and he made the decision to use them in the 4AA game. That came directly from Mark when we talked at the basketball state clinic. He's still pushing them.

As for the crew, I thought they were ok. The BJ allowed the receivers to get behind him twice. I thought the headset issue could have been handled better and the clock situation was definitely screwed up at the end of the 2nd qtr.

Rich Wed Dec 16, 2009 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepWing55 (Post 643099)
PA has approved them as well. These pants are a joke when guys wear them in this area of the country. Seriously, we have guys wearing them on 50 degree nights. And personally I don't think they look as tailored as the white knickers. Our crew worked the last weekend of November and the temps at nighttime were in the low 40s. Again, not cold enough to wear those pants.

Who gets to decide if it's "not cold enough?"

If these are approved, I may never wear my knickers with long sleeves again.

JRutledge Wed Dec 16, 2009 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepWing55 (Post 643099)
Our crew worked the last weekend of November and the temps at nighttime were in the low 40s. Again, not cold enough to wear those pants.

Unless your state dictates this too, the pants are mainly designed for bad weather conditions. If it rains, the pants keep you dry. And if you have muddy conditions on the field, you do not look like you have mud all over your white pants. We had about 2 or 3 games this year where it rained almost the entire game and I did not get wet at all on my legs underneath the pants like I would with normal knickers.

Peace