The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

When Is a Runner Down?

Question about Philadelphia's last challenge flag Sunday night:

Is a ball carrier down if his elbow/knee/whatever touches a defender lying on the ground, or can he keep going forward until his body hits grass?

Reid's challenge was based on where McNabb's elbow touched the turf. But the last few feet of McNabb's movement came while lying on top of a defender.

I can't find anything in the NCAA or NFL rule books to address the question.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rule 4.1.3.b - A live ball becomes dead when any part of the ball carrier's body, except hand or foot, touches the ground.

So, unless you choose to consider another player as "the ground", touching a player laying on the ground with any body part does not make the ball carrier down.

I don't know much about NFL rules, but I'd bet somewhere in there is the about the same wording.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Other players are not the ground. The ground is the ground.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have a related question:

If the runner touches ground with the ball (by palming it) to steady himself but stays on his feet, would this be considered "down"?
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 04:21pm
Chain of Fools

no
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
NCAA rule 4.1.3.b - A live ball becomes dead when any part of the ball carrier's body, except hand or foot, touches the ground.

So, unless you choose to consider another player as "the ground", touching a player laying on the ground with any body part does not make the ball carrier down.

I don't know much about NFL rules, but I'd bet somewhere in there is the about the same wording.
Thanks.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed on all counts above in three down ball as well, but if a player is lying on top of another player but about to get creamed by some defensive players, I find that's usually a good reason to kill the play assuming he's not going to gain any more yardage...
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I recall in the game in question that the replay didn't show where McNabb's left elbow was. Was it or the ground or what is not? The Referee announced that the ruling on the field "stands" and did not use "confirmed" Just not enough evidence to overturn it.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

NFL 2009

Rule 7, Section 4 Dead Ball

Article 1

An official shall declare dead ball and the down ended:

(e) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and he touches the ground with any part of his body except his hands or feet, ball shall be declared dead immediately.

Note: The ball is dead at the spot of the ball at the instant the runner so touches the ground, irrespective of the condition of the field. A runner touching the ground with his hands or feet while in the grasp of an opponent may continue to advance.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I recall in the game in question that the replay didn't show where McNabb's left elbow was. Was it or the ground or what is not? The Referee announced that the ruling on the field "stands" and did not use "confirmed" Just not enough evidence to overturn it.
I believe they did show a reply showing McNabb's elbow on the turf, but there wasn' clear evidence to show whether the ball should of been moved forward or not
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard View Post
Agreed on all counts above in three down ball as well, but if a player is lying on top of another player but about to get creamed by some defensive players, I find that's usually a good reason to kill the play assuming he's not going to gain any more yardage...
Sounds like his forward progress is stopped, which means he's down. IMO, it's a bad policy to call a runner down because he might get hit. Call him down when he's down.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sounds like his forward progress is stopped, which means he's down. IMO, it's a bad policy to call a runner down because he might get hit. Call him down when he's down.
Really? Well, when you have a ball carrier who runs into a group of players and starts to get pushed backwards while still on his feet with no hope of breaking free you'll almost always see a whistle at NFL, CFL and amateur on both sides of the border....how is that different?

It's all about player safety in a situation like this, especially at amateur....
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 11:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard View Post
Really? Well, when you have a ball carrier who runs into a group of players and starts to get pushed backwards while still on his feet with no hope of breaking free you'll almost always see a whistle at NFL, CFL and amateur on both sides of the border....how is that different?

It's all about player safety in a situation like this, especially at amateur....
Maybe that is how they do it in Canada, but where I live that is not what we do. There are many plays where the whistle is not blown at all. And we certainly are not blowing the whistle if a player is still fighting or not really grasped.

The play in question looked like it might have been an issue or forward progress being stopped first. Then when the pile was moving McNabb fell forward. At least this is what the official that was ruling on the play was thinking. Because I recall that McNabb did go backwards.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
I have a related question:

If the runner touches ground with the ball (by palming it) to steady himself but stays on his feet, would this be considered "down"?
No, not down. Additionally, if he were to fumble the ball when that happened, it's a fumble. So, in essence, the ground caused the fumble and he is not down.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe that is how they do it in Canada, but where I live that is not what we do. There are many plays where the whistle is not blown at all. And we certainly are not blowing the whistle if a player is still fighting or not really grasped.

The play in question looked like it might have been an issue or forward progress being stopped first. Then when the pile was moving McNabb fell forward. At least this is what the official that was ruling on the play was thinking. Because I recall that McNabb did go backwards.

Peace
Agreed, if the ball carrier is still fighting and there is the possibility he could gain additional yardage then no, I wouldn't kill the play either. But in situations where it's hopeless and the ball carrier is in danger then I'm going to kill it. I don't work pro level and did not see the McNabb play, but I acknowledge things can be different in the show than at amateur.

I'm curious about you having "many plays where the whistle is not blown at all".....what circumstances occur to present that situation? How does the play end? I know there's many differences between three and four down ball, but this is one I've never heard of before.

And peace back to you as well..especially on this, November 11th.

Lest We Forget.