The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Nice that you guys think it is wrong. But since that is what I was told to do, that is what we do here.
There are quite a few things that different associations decide for various reason, and not all of them are the best solution. It is however the decision that has been made.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

yup

Agree with everyone here. Both bad calls from what we can see on the video. If I were a coach I'd give out a helmet sticker to the guy on the first tackle for a fantastic form tackle.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you should be calling a helmet to helmet hit on a runner who has put his head down, unless it's intentional anyway.

I agree on the violation on the kicker. In my opinion, the block looks legal.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Good video picture, btw. I didn't detect a leading with the helmet in either. Just because the helmet gets there first doesn't mean its a foul.

Quote:
should the R signaled for a TD on the play even though he was the one who threw the roughing the kicker foul?
Yes. In this example, its obviously coming back but in others it may not plus you want to be clear in what the result of the play was. Again, here, the guy goes into the end zone and no one is within 5 yards of him. If he's tackled, is it short? Is it a TD? Under NCAA rules, it may make a difference on penalty enforcement on a PF where someone scores, so I want to make sure everyone is aware of what happened.

Now, the R is not going to mirror the signal to the press box, but if he's the covering official, he'll give it.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

One more comment on the second video. I noticed that the R is on the non-kicking foot side of the kicker. Shouldn't he be on the other side ?? This may have given a better angle of the contact on the kicker.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I can speak to his being on the side he is. In our group the R is always on the side of the LJ because we have the LJ release down field when the snap is secured and it is apparent that the ball will be kicked. We do not follow Fed Mechanics on a lot of things so I am not sure what the fed mechanics are for a punt.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Durham, thanks for the response. I just thought it looked odd, but I can see some logic for doing that. On our crew, we always have the back judge on the wide side of the field, and the linesperson opposite the back judge is the one who releases. I (as the referee) always am on the kicking leg side of the kicker. Being new to this forum, I am finding it fascinating that there are so many differences in how some things are done.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

The protocol of signaling TD or any other mechanic is still in effect. While you know in your mind that the play will likely come back, it's still proper mechanics to signal.

As a BJ, I had a block in the back foul at the LOS Friday night on a 70 yard run. I knew it would come back, but had to race to get to the goal line. It was a torpedo flag toss about 15 yards forward to the penalty and then turn and run.

Last edited by DocLogic; Tue Nov 03, 2009 at 11:14am.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Impossible to tell on the first clip. The second clip looks like it would have been a great no-call.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Just a FYI
I was at our yearly clinic - this time the next level up from my local association (sort of like national instead of state level), and have been told to that I was misinformed (or the policy changed this year).
We will signal TD even though we threw the flag.