The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Talking Too Many Ejection Clips

I don't understand the fascination of posting ejection clips. This is professional baseball and as amateurs there's little if anything to be learned. Really all it is is a p***ing contest that gets out of hand.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 08:22am
Stop staring at me swan.

Who doesn't like watching a good ejection? People like the show.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
I don't understand the fascination of posting ejection clips. This is professional baseball and as amateurs there's little if anything to be learned. Really all it is is a p***ing contest that gets out of hand.
Great way to learn what not to do.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

There's very little to learn watching MLB guys. Honestly, what can young umpires take away from watching Joe West?
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

How to carry a tune?
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Who doesn't like watching a good ejection? People like the show.
So you're the guy when I'm late for an appointment going southbound on the xway has to slow down traffic to check out the guy changing his tire in the northbound lane. Now if it was a "hot chick"............. Don't get bent out of shape just having fun.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

It's that time of year...MLB, our leagues, the season is winding down, playoff teams locking up spots, rats who know they won't be back, etc. I guess I always find it comforting that as managers are flying out in my games in my leagues (not this summer I'm on the DL), I get reassured that this is all part of our great game when I get to see the same in MLB.

Seriously though, as I watch each one I do critical thinking. Forget the call, what did the umpire do right in the clip (walk away, listen, hands behind the back) or wrong (confrontational, disinterested, belligerent). We watch eject clips at the NCAA clinics; these are refreshers to my mind.

I agree with Kyle directly about new umpires; however new umpires can watch the video and learn from our wise and informed(??) critiques of the clip.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
Great way to learn what not to do.
I try to be peaceful in disagreements, since in my profession outside of umpiring, that is important.

But in one of my three ejections this year, it was an old-time manager who tried to act like Earl Weaver in his prime. Young umpires need to understand how to handle these guys when and if they see them.

Secondly, I believe that watching those kind of discussions can teach how to handle any kind of argument. Even though we live in a major-league PC world, most MLB discussions start out at a lower level then escalate. Seeing how the umpire does or does not try to tamp down the building fire is instructive.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
It's that time of year...MLB, our leagues, the season is winding down, playoff teams locking up spots, rats who know they won't be back, etc. I guess I always find it comforting that as managers are flying out in my games in my leagues (not this summer I'm on the DL), I get reassured that this is all part of our great game when I get to see the same in MLB.

Seriously though, as I watch each one I do critical thinking. Forget the call, what did the umpire do right in the clip (walk away, listen, hands behind the back) or wrong (confrontational, disinterested, belligerent). We watch eject clips at the NCAA clinics; these are refreshers to my mind.

I agree with Kyle directly about new umpires; however new umpires can watch the video and learn from our wise and informed(??) critiques of the clip.
My camps, clinics etc we watch and critique how ejections are handled, body language and how and when partners should get involved etc. I agree extremely useful. Too many of these seem to be for entertainment purposes only. Also what's done at the professional level is not always relevant when working a 12 or 13 years old games which a lot of these guys seem to be doing.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
There's very little to learn watching MLB guys. Honestly, what can young umpires take away from watching Joe West?
Jim Riggleman learned that if Joe says "if you go your done" that's exactly what he means. A young umpire can learn that if you give a coach a warning and the coach does not heed that warning, then you eject him, which is not what some young umpires on this board have done. They have kept warning and warning and still not ejected. Sometimes, and in some areas, they learn that ejections, even after a warning gets their schedule pulled or reduced. And many times they learn that from the experienced and veteran umps in that area that do not eject either. And what do they learn from these umpires?

Last edited by tballump; Sat Aug 08, 2009 at 03:00pm.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 05:08pm

I love watching ejection clips. Reaffirms my faith in mankind. People that think we have nothing to learn from MLB umpires are wrong. There are many things, both good and bad, that can be learned from watching every bit of video available.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
I try to be peaceful in disagreements, since in my profession outside of umpiring, that is important.
Consistancy is important.

Quote:
But in one of my three ejections this year, it was an old-time manager who tried to act like Earl Weaver in his prime. Young umpires need to understand how to handle these guys when and if they see them.
Attending umpire clinics and completing one of pro schools are other learning alternatives.

Quote:
Secondly, I believe that watching those kind of discussions can teach how to handle any kind of argument. Even though we live in a major-league PC world, most MLB discussions start out at a lower level then escalate. Seeing how the umpire does or does not try to tamp down the building fire is instructive.
Or how not to use the MLB umpirig approach. Here's an example:
YouTube - Earl Weaver gets pissed
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I liked the "Boom" that went with the ejection....never noticed that before.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post

Or how not to use the MLB umpirig approach. Here's an example:
So to make a point about today's umpire's you use a clip from 1972.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
There are many things, both good and bad, that can be learned from watching every bit of video available.
So I guess you saw yet another missed play at the plate at Petco this evening.