The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Running OOB Illegal Sub or not

I know the "by the book" answer to this but I am wondering what the common handling of situations where a player is running OOB and is stepping off at the snap?

Do you use the, if he doesn't break the plane prior to snap, flag 'em... One step lee weigh... two steps.
White hatted my first Varsity game last night and my LJ didn't throw a flag on a defensive player that was (per the official) about 2 steps from the line. Of course the other coach (who was 0-36 in 4 years) wanted the cheap 5 yards.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

First, know the rule: the player is not out of bounds when he "breaks the plane." He is out of bounds when he is touching something out of bounds.

Sub-varsity: probably won't have a flag unless he's inside the numbers or being an idiot and moseying.

Varsity: probably will have a flag unless he's out of bounds.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
The plan truth is that most people can count to 11. It didn't make any difference in the play, but where do you draw the line? Holding, pass interference, etc. are judgement calls...counting to 11 is not.

I've found if you don't call them that everyone wonders what other fouls don't you call, and then it gets ugly. Just my thought. Jim
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemiller View Post
It didn't make any difference in the play, but where do you draw the line?
For sub-varsity? You've answered your own question.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
First, know the rule: the player is not out of bounds when he "breaks the plane." He is out of bounds when he is touching something out of bounds.

Sub-varsity: probably won't have a flag unless he's inside the numbers or being an idiot and moseying.

Varsity: probably will have a flag unless he's out of bounds.
Had that scenario in a playoff game a few years back. Kid running off just prior to snap and tried to "long jump" off the field. I was
able to clearly see he wasn't OOB or even touching OOB. When the WH gave the coach the definition of OOB, pretty much verbatum to what you have there...all was quiet.