The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
For example: Doesn't really matter the score but lets say its a very close game. A32 sweeps left and scores a TD. Yet, A65, clearly holds way over on the right side, 15 yards away and behind the point of attack and not in any way affecting the play. The general principle you disagree with keeps the flag in my pocket. I would hope you would keep the flag in your pocket too despite it being clearly a foul. If we throw that flag, despite being technically correct by rule, we unneccesarily (and unfairly IMO) affect the outcome of the game.
Why is that clearly a foul? I deny that it's a foul at all, much less a clear case of one.

I'm not pocketing my flag here solely in order to avoid affecting the outcome of the game. I'm pocketing it because this is not a foul unless the contact is severe enough to warrant a PF.

I think that it's a serious mistake to train younger officials to try to avoid affecting the outcome of a game. They need to learn what's a foul and what is not, and to flag clear fouls when they see them regardless of the context.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

MB, I am describing a "clear holding foul" that occurs away from the play. A65 grabs onto B and "HOLDs" him. Holding is, by rule, a foul. Agree?

What I am suggesting is officials need to have some common game sense and think before throwing a flag on something that may be by rule a foul but has absolutely no affect on the play (and of course is not a safety matter, PF, or UC issue. we must flag those)
I am confused by your comments:
1. either, you do not see "holding" as a foul (that is pretty basic)
2. Or, you say we must throw a flag on a "hold" that is completely away from and inconsequential to the play.

Do you ever see a foul that you do not flag? If "yes," then we are in agreeemnt. You likely have a very good common sense reason why you keep the flag in your pocket.
If you say "no," then you would not be on my crew very long.

MB, I agree completely that young officials must learn to recognize what is and is not a foul. Yet, they also must learn to recognize those times when the flag is better left in thier pocket. You agree?
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I think we have no significant disagreement. You're using 'foul' to refer to what the rule book calls a foul, whereas I'm using it to refer to behavior on the field that deserves a flag.

My main point, restated to avoid confusion, was that we should not ignore behavior that deserves a flag in order to avoid affecting the outcome of the game.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

MB, yes I agree, were on the same page here. sometimes words get in our way... tks