The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Spot of the foul penalties

I am scorekeeper for high school football team. Team A has 3rd down & 10 at own 9. QB throws 91 yard TD pass. Ref's call block in back at 38 and place ball there 1st down for Team A.

Question is:
1. How many if any passing yards does Team A get credited for?

2. Is it a 62 yard penalty because penalty moved them from goal line back to own 38?

Any help would be great!
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLOSS88 View Post
I am scorekeeper for high school football team. Team A has 3rd down & 10 at own 9. QB throws 91 yard TD pass. Ref's call block in back at 38 and place ball there 1st down for Team A.

Question is:
1. How many if any passing yards does Team A get credited for?

2. Is it a 62 yard penalty because penalty moved them from goal line back to own 38?

Any help would be great!
I'm not an expert on stats but the officiating concept is the runner gets credit for the yards he gained legally. You say the penalty was at the 38 and they placed the ball at the 38. I'm going to assume the penalty was at the 48 and the ball was brought back to the 38 by penalty. If this is true, the runner gained 39 yards legally so I assume he would get credit for those yards. You then have a 10 yard penalty that takes the ball back to the 38.