LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
Alf-
You post above has two incorrect statements:

1) You wrote: "The rule is question uses the word "touching"..."
The actual wording in the rule in question is: ...is touching...

2) You wrote: "Football has two directional entities; in-bounds and OOB and appears to otherwise consider these two "places" separate and distinct from each other".
In actuality, NFHS Football does not have a definition of IN BOUNDS which I believe IS likely the reasoning for your confusion.

So, and while you may continue to find it to be stupid, because there is no definition of inbounds, and since we only have a definition of out of bounds again then, by definition a player can either be "out of bounds" or "not out of bounds".
KWH, I know you're not suggesting the "rule in question" doesn't use the word touching, because "touching seems like a part of the phrase "is touching", so where you were going with that escapes me.

If you want to build your argument along some abstract concept that there is no such thing as being in-bounds, that's entirely up to you, but forgive me if I don't find your effort at persuasion, compelling. I don't think some exercise in metaphysicics is intended as part of the construction of football rules. If something really doesn't make sense, or apply in any conceivable way to the game of football, it very likely is not an appropriate foundation on which to build a simple rule interpretation.

The tortured logic and attempts at convoluted "wordsmithing" is impressive, but not persuasive. The extent to which you are trying to twist any sense of logic out of this discussion underscores how silly your basic premis really is. Again, if you're comfortable accepting something you are incapable of explaining rationally, that is entirely your choice, but it's also entirely on you.

I think some of you are venturing way out beyond the reach of your headlights.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 08:33pm
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
...If you want to build your argument along some abstract concept that there is no such thing as being in-bounds, that's entirely up to you, but forgive me if I don't find your effort at persuasion, compelling...
Alf-
In NFHS Football there is no such thing as an inbounds player. Unless of course you are referring to a player who is standing inside the hashmarks!
Perhaps you should read Rule 1-2-3e

Last edited by KWH; Mon Jul 27, 2009 at 08:41pm.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

9 pages and nobody has changed anyone else's opinion on this. My "vote" goes with the Reddings interpretation.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears View Post
9 pages and nobody has changed anyone else's opinion on this. My "vote" goes with the Reddings interpretation.
I agree.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
It is perfectly logical to conclude that a "ridiculous" play is legal, if in fact the rules support the play as being legal. I don't think anyones sense of outrage is really the point.

Now, you can argue that the play should not be legal, perhaps. And maybe that is the case - I don't really see what benefit a team could get from trying to exploit such a loophole though.
I think this is a good point. It gets to what I was trying to ask about in my fumble question. (I realize I"m new here, but someone please answer this!)

A22 fumbles forward near sideline. B55, who had overpursued and is now standing on the ground OOB, bats ball backwards, in bounds, to a defensive teammate. We have a whistle when B55 touches it, and it's A's ball at spot of fumble.

Now, same thing, but B55 jumps in the air when he bats the ball. What do we have?

I agree that by the NCAA rules, we have a legal play.

But I think it is worth asking the question: SHOULD this be legal? Does it represent a potential loophole?

Berkut, I agree that even if it is a loophole, it's not like teams will be able to start exploiting it left and right.

However, imagine this. Granted, I'm exaggerating a little but honestly, it's not as far-fetched as it may at first seem:

Team A throws a quick out. B22 steps in front of the receiver. The ball richochets high off B22's shoulder pads. The ball is clearly going to land a good 10 yards out of bounds. A80 runs out of bounds. He's kicking over yard markers, bumping into photographers, even pats a cheerleader on the a**...all the while walking on the ground OOB. He then settles under the ball, and when it gets close, he jumps up and bats it with two hands to A88, who's standing in bounds near the sideline. A88 catches it and runs untouched for a TD.

OK, I know that's a little silly, but assuming this is legal (and I believe it is), what do people think about it?

Maybe the answer is: hell yeah, it should be legal. Airborne is airborne. If you can take 5 steps out of bounds are are athletic enough to jump up and bat (or catch and throw) the ball backwards while you're still in the air, more power to you.

But IF the answer is: Actually, we never wanted to have players running out of bounds, chasing down overthrows and ricochets like they're trying to make a volleyball save, then maybe the rule needs to be clarified?
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Often, a totally outrageous example seems necessary to demonstrate a perfectly logical point. Your example, chymechowder, as outlandish as it seems, serves well to identify the extreme measures the Redding's interpretation could support.

This discussion should not be about which interpretation is more popular, rather the focus should be on which interpretation best supports the intent of the rule, which in and of itself is designed to clarify how the game is played.

Somehow, for well over 100 years, this game has survived without a specfic definition of "an inbounds player". That could be because nobody noticed, or more likely that everybody understands what that means. I can't say specifically, how long the current language of NF: 2-29-1 has been in place, but it seems this issues has only surfaced fairly recently.

Again, that raises a question is it because nobody noticed it, or just that nobody bothered to twist the language used far enough to create this Redding's interpretation? Granted the verbiage is clearly not the best choice of words, and that NFHS could eliminate the problem by either revising the language, or explaining their reasonings to support the Redding's interpretation.

Until either of those things happens, we are all responsible to interpret the rules as best we can, official interpretation aside which is the case with this particular issue.

A basic part of our job description is to be able to explain our rulings should they be appropriately disputed. Being totally unable to rationally explain any logic, purpose or practical application associated with the Redding's interpretation, I can only conclude the Redding's interpretation is incorrect.

If anyone, anywhere would be kind enough to explain any logic, any perceived purpose or practical application of this interpretation, I would be thankful and eager to consider it further. Until then, I'm going with what makes the most sense to me and my understanding of this game. That's a decision everyone has to make, and like all the other decisions we routinely make, accept whatever consequences result.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

And what do you do when you decide to rule as you see fit on one side of the field and then the exact same play happens on the other side but the official over there goes with the wording and interpretations that have been published? I guess as all hell breaks loose, at least you will have the comfort of knowing you are willing to accept those consequences.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A basic part of our job description is to be able to explain our rulings should they be appropriately disputed. Being totally unable to rationally explain any logic, purpose or practical application associated with the Redding's interpretation, I can only conclude the Redding's interpretation is incorrect.
I don't agree with this. Even if a rule "doesn't make sense" I don't believe we're supposed to interpret it in such a way until it conforms with our logic--even if everyone on the field agrees what the "logical" ruling should be.

Specifically, using my ricochet play, I'd tell the coach that it's technically legal.* I might even go so far as to sympathize with him when he insists, with vehemence, rage, and a fair amount of spittle, that it SHOULDN'T be legal.

But until the rules are changed, it should be ruled legal, regardless of how illogical it may seem.

*this is assuming the ricochet play is in fact, legal. If I'm missing something about the player running out of bounds before batting it back in, someone please point it out. thanks!
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
And what do you do when you decide to rule as you see fit on one side of the field and then the exact same play happens on the other side but the official over there goes with the wording and interpretations that have been published? I guess as all hell breaks loose, at least you will have the comfort of knowing you are willing to accept those consequences.
Mike L, I can't speak for wherever it is that you work, but where I work, we're fortunate that we tend to be on the same page about decisions, and when there might be some difference in judgment, that we haven't already previously adjusted to, we discuss it until there is consensus.

Most often when there is a serious disagreement, after deciding amongst the crew, how it will be enforced, during the game we'll expand the discussion at our next meeting until we reach a consensus how the issue will be enforced in the future, by the group.

chymechowder, what's so wonderful about this country, is you don't have to agree, unless you choose to. You are totally free to make your own determination and decide what you believe to be correct. Fortunately, however, you don't get to decide "what should be ruled legal" for anyone but yourself, although you are fully entitled to your opinion, as am I.

I'm just not convinced that any rule establishes your interpretation as being correct, and until I can be convinced, I've decided to go with what I believe to be right, to have been intended and to be in the best interests of the game. That has no bearing on what you decide, although I'd suggest you give it some serious thought.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 01:28pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears View Post

Same here. I think this thread has run its course.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 01:33pm
Small Business Owner

Thumbs down I also disagree with Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
MikeL brings up an excellant point. Lets take another look at Alf's philosophy of: ...I'm going with what makes the most sense to me and my understanding of this game. That's a decision everyone has to make, and like all the other decisions we routinely make, accept whatever consequences result...
If we were to utilize this Alf-Logic and make up your own interpretation and accept the consequensces on say for example the new Restricted Area / Coaches Box enforcment, I see the results as a bona-fide cluster-flop!

I believe attempting our very best to enforce the rules the same on both sides of the field and the same from week to week on different fields makes more sense, as, if we strived for continuity, it just might cut down on the coaches abilty to say, "It was illegal last week!" Speaking of that, I believe I am beginning to see why coaches make those statments. Must be really great to work a game for a team that last weeks crew included Alf!
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike L, I can't speak for wherever it is that you work, but where I work, we're fortunate that we tend to be on the same page about decisions, and when there might be some difference in judgment, that we haven't already previously adjusted to, we discuss it until there is consensus.

Most often when there is a serious disagreement, after deciding amongst the crew, how it will be enforced, during the game we'll expand the discussion at our next meeting until we reach a consensus how the issue will be enforced in the future, by the group.

Where I work, any issue regarding how we call things would be decided before the season starts. Realistically however, something this odd is probably not going to come up. So it's going to be ruled on the fly when it happens. In any event, despite what appears here to be a majority against your position, you seem completely unwilling to accept said consensus which is wholly supported by your quote "Until then, I'm going with what makes the most sense to me and my understanding of this game. That's a decision everyone has to make, and like all the other decisions we routinely make, accept whatever consequences result." Perhaps you are more willing to bend to the will of the majority at your game.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 02:07pm
Small Business Owner

I vote for Rogers Redding

My vote goes with the Redding interpretation also.

Anybody know how to set up one of thoses voting polls on this site?
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

This discussion has not been about adjusting, altering or ignoring a rule; it's been about deciding on how to best handle an odd play that really isn't covered in the book. If the rule book gave the answer, we would have saved 132 or more posts.

Without an answer from the book, we have to figure out the best ruling we can. Since this play isn't ever going to come up in a career, let alone more than once in a season or in a game, consistency among officials isn't really much of a worry.

I've studied the rules and read the different arguments, and I have my solution and I'm comfortable with it. To me it's logical, makes sense and seems fair, and as a bonus, probably would be the easiest sell of the options.

I understand a number of other officials prefer a different ruling, and I'm fine with that. Their arguments make sense too. I'm just trying to emphasize that those who disagree with the majority are not necessarily in the wrong and are not guilty of ignoring the rules. We just interpret the rule differently.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
My vote goes with the Redding interpretation also.
I agree that, as the definition of OOB is written, this interpretation is correct, even though it does seem strange.

Do you likewise agree, then, that there is seemingly no restriction to how many steps a player can take out of bounds before he jumps and bats/throws the ball back?
Closed Thread