View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
It is perfectly logical to conclude that a "ridiculous" play is legal, if in fact the rules support the play as being legal. I don't think anyones sense of outrage is really the point.

Now, you can argue that the play should not be legal, perhaps. And maybe that is the case - I don't really see what benefit a team could get from trying to exploit such a loophole though.
I think this is a good point. It gets to what I was trying to ask about in my fumble question. (I realize I"m new here, but someone please answer this!)

A22 fumbles forward near sideline. B55, who had overpursued and is now standing on the ground OOB, bats ball backwards, in bounds, to a defensive teammate. We have a whistle when B55 touches it, and it's A's ball at spot of fumble.

Now, same thing, but B55 jumps in the air when he bats the ball. What do we have?

I agree that by the NCAA rules, we have a legal play.

But I think it is worth asking the question: SHOULD this be legal? Does it represent a potential loophole?

Berkut, I agree that even if it is a loophole, it's not like teams will be able to start exploiting it left and right.

However, imagine this. Granted, I'm exaggerating a little but honestly, it's not as far-fetched as it may at first seem:

Team A throws a quick out. B22 steps in front of the receiver. The ball richochets high off B22's shoulder pads. The ball is clearly going to land a good 10 yards out of bounds. A80 runs out of bounds. He's kicking over yard markers, bumping into photographers, even pats a cheerleader on the a**...all the while walking on the ground OOB. He then settles under the ball, and when it gets close, he jumps up and bats it with two hands to A88, who's standing in bounds near the sideline. A88 catches it and runs untouched for a TD.

OK, I know that's a little silly, but assuming this is legal (and I believe it is), what do people think about it?

Maybe the answer is: hell yeah, it should be legal. Airborne is airborne. If you can take 5 steps out of bounds are are athletic enough to jump up and bat (or catch and throw) the ball backwards while you're still in the air, more power to you.

But IF the answer is: Actually, we never wanted to have players running out of bounds, chasing down overthrows and ricochets like they're trying to make a volleyball save, then maybe the rule needs to be clarified?