The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #151 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 566
who knew that "is touching" could be such a hard concept to grasp?
__________________
Indecision may or may not be my problem
  #152 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 05:39pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
What I do know is that I haven't talked this much about touching since high school.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
  #153 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 05:41pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
I'm not going to go back and read all 145 posts, but I do beleive there were some who were saying this play was legal.

So while the catch was legal and the bat was legal, the touching was IP so the play comes back, correct?
Here is the other point of contention. The current Redding Guide case play goes into more detail than the 2003 CB play did. I am focusing more on the airborne player being out of bounds or not angle.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
  #154 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
who knew that "is touching" could be such a hard concept to grasp?
I think we agree that when the player touched anything OOB, he became OOB. Where we part ways is over how, or more importantly why, you presume he would regain a status of being inbounds, when he simply jumps up into the air while remaining outside (beyond) the sideline/endline?

If you accept that rules are made for some logical purpose that advances the playing of the game, you should be able to offer some logical basis for considering your interpretation as being rational. If you can't, you just have to question the interpretation.

We do not have to agree with the logic or rational for a rule, to be willing to enforce it, but there should be SOME logic or rational involved to consider an interpretation enforceable.
  #155 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 07:36pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I think we agree that when the player touched anything OOB, he became OOB.
Not quite. The reading of the very definition does not lend OOB to being a persistent state but rather a volatile state that exists only as long as a specific condition is being met.

Why are you choosing to ignore the straight forward language in the rule? "Is touching" is very specific unless you disagree with my previous post about the plain English definition of what "is touching" means?
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
  #156 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Not quite. The reading of the very definition does not lend OOB to being a persistent state but rather a volatile state that exists only as long as a specific condition is being met.

Why are you choosing to ignore the straight forward language in the rule? "Is touching" is very specific unless you disagree with my previous post about the plain English definition of what "is touching" means?
I'm talking about a football rule and how the way some choose to interpret it makes no sense relating to the game, defies logic and offers no rational purpose, and really don't get all that worked up about some notion about, " a persistent state but rather a volatile state that exists only as long as a specific condition is being met."
  #157 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
the way some choose to interpret it makes no sense relating to the game, defies logic and offers no rational purpose, and really don't get all that worked up about some notion about, " a persistent state but rather a volatile state that exists only as long as a specific condition is being met."
I took the liberty of editing your post.

It should look like this:

the way MOST choose to interpret it makes no sense (to me) relating to the game (as I think it should be called), defies (my) logic, and offers no rational purpose (in my opinion).....


Your OPINION of logic, sense, and rationality is of little value just as trying to show you our logic, rationale, and sense is. Frankly, I believe the rule is crystal clear. It's time to quit saying the same things over and over.

On to better topics. This one is obviously dead.
__________________
Mike Sears
  #158 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 10:42pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I'm talking about a football rule and how the way some choose to interpret it makes no sense relating to the game, defies logic and offers no rational purpose, and really don't get all that worked up about some notion about, " a persistent state but rather a volatile state that exists only as long as a specific condition is being met."
I don't understand you. You ask for logic, reasonings, etc to support the interpretation and then you reject them with vague terms, relying on your supposed common sense but you don't offer any real argument. You really don't seem to want an explanation.

Do you have a response to my post about the present tense or are you going to ignore it?
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
  #159 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 341
Quote:
Where we part ways is over how, or more importantly why, you presume he would regain a status of being inbounds,...
I don't recall anyone saying that. What has been said and written in the rule book, is if a player is airborne he is no longer considered out of bounds by definition. By rule, to be out of bounds, a player must be touching something OOB, but since he is not touching, he is not OOB.

Simple, basic, easy to read English. Accept it and quit trying to insist on it conforming to your "logic".
  #160 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I don't understand you. You ask for logic, reasonings, etc to support the interpretation and then you reject them with vague terms, relying on your supposed common sense but you don't offer any real argument. You really don't seem to want an explanation.

Do you have a response to my post about the present tense or are you going to ignore it?
Sounds like you're starting to understand...
__________________
I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!
  #161 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 156
I would say that 'where we part ways' is that some people insist there should be a player status 'inbounds' and others are fine that the NF rules neither defines nor uses the term 'inbounds player.'

Within this thread we have seen the term 'inbounds player' defined and have had non-existant rules invented to utilize this term.

Look at 2-29, 2-32, and 9-6. These rules define a player out of bounds, the different player designations, and the Illegal Participation rules. These are the rules. Why invent other rules because you think they should be there.
  #162 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I don't understand you. Do you have a response to my post about the present tense or are you going to ignore it?
I'm not comfortable, or competent, to assume the role of English professor as may be necessary to explain a common sense, obvious situation, nor do I accept that you are either. I also don't accept your summary of "present tense" as it applies to this situation.

You have provided neither fact, logic or anything close to a reasonable explanation of why, how or whether your argument that a player can somehow retain the status on being inbounds by simply jumping up into the air after clearly being OOB.

If you (any of you) want to buy into this BS without satisfying the slightest shred of it making any sense WHATSOEVER, knock yourselves out that's entirely your choice. If you're comfortable accepting, "what the meaning of is, is" that's on you.

I'm certainly dissappointed that NFHS remains silent regarding this issue, as they could (should) take the time to clear it up. Thatis on them.

If, however, you personally can't figure out how to simply explain why a rule is correct, then do yourselves a favor and don't try and bark about why it should be followed anyway.
  #163 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post

Simple, basic, easy to read English. Accept it and quit trying to insist on it conforming to your "logic".
Let's understand one point, I couldn't possibly care less what you determine or conclude is logic.

I'll quit trying to maintain my point, when you, or anyone else, can explain how, AFTER a player becomes OOB (by touching anything OOB) any rule suggests, hints or states he can return to not remaining OOB, by jumping up into the air while still outside the boundry lines?
  #164 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 751
You know, this is hilarious...

Our Official's Manual states................


Players who have practiced long hours deserve competent officials who have complete understanding of the letter, as well as the spirit and intent of the rules...."

It further goes on to state............

The basic requirement for all sports officials is courage."

If one can't look at this situation and understand the intent of the rule, and/or won't rule against what is written, they have not fulfilled either of the prior items we are charged with.

This situation is not covered in the book. Ruling this player inbounds goes against any shred of common sense in any circle of officiating.

Have the balls (courage) to rule against what is written.
  #165 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Have the balls (courage) to rule against what is written.
Excellent advice!

Are there any other written rules we should ignore?
__________________
I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
alf rides again, alf's english lesson, illegal participation, reading comprehension 101, totally stupic

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
illegal Substitution or illegal Participation verticalStripes Football 11 Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:57am
Reddings Study Guide JFlores Football 8 Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00am
Illegal Participation, Illegal Touching, Nothing BoBo Football 13 Thu Nov 01, 2007 02:09pm
Woohoo - Reddings Guide came today HLin NC Football 4 Fri Jun 01, 2007 07:11am
Illegal Formation or Illegal participation? wgw Football 9 Mon Aug 29, 2005 09:31am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1