The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quick one.... Dead ball foul and untimed down

Got this one thrown at me - searched the forum but couldn't find anything similar.

We'll go with NCAA, although I'm interested if FED is different.

4th quarter. Team A punts. On the return, A facemasks B. Clock runs out on the down. After the down, there USC on each team.

Do we offest the USC, enforce facemask, and play an untimed down?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

I will give you the Fed answer since I don't know the NCAA one (though I imagine it is the same).

You enforce the facemask first since it is a live ball foul (5 or 15 yards from the end of the run). After that, march off each USC in the order that the fouls were committed (this is important in case the penalty for one of the USC fouls ends up being half the distance to the goal), set the chains and play an untimed down for the live ball foul.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

From an NFHS perspective it would seem that the facemask foul by the defense, if acepted, would require an untimed down. As Dead Ball fouls do not "offset" under the NFHS code, they would be applied in the order of occurrence, and if that could not be determined, they would be enforced so that the yardage portion of the penalties cancelled each other out.

There's always the caution about situations where "half the distance" considerations come into play, in which case, unless there was a really obvious separation between the two fouls, the sequence would be assessed so that the yardage portions of the penalties cancelled each other out.

The Receiving team would get an untimed down, 15 yards in advance of the end of the kickoff return.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I will give you the Fed answer since I don't know the NCAA one (though I imagine it is the same).

You enforce the facemask first since it is a live ball foul (5 or 15 yards from the end of the run). After that, march off each USC in the order that the fouls were committed (this is important in case the penalty for one of the USC fouls ends up being half the distance to the goal), set the chains and play an untimed down for the live ball foul.
Sounds good to me. I assume time for the 4th quarter ran out during the play.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Unless I'm mistaken, the two USCs will offset in NCAA since the second one occurred before the first one was 'completed.' But there will be an untimed down for the face mask foul.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

If the penalty for the live ball foul is declined, is there still an untimed down in either code?
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Under any circumstance, the USC fouls offset. See 10.1.5. Technically, B has the option to accept or decline the penalty, and if they decline, the game is over or we go to OT. If they accept, the penalty is enforced and an untimed down is played.

From a practical standpoint, unless Team B is down by 8 or less to Team A (or the game is tied), the penalty will be declined and the game will be over.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
If the penalty for the live ball foul is declined, is there still an untimed down in either code?
Not in NF. There must be an accepted penalty to extend the period. There are a few exceptions such as dead ball fouls, etc.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

A dead ball foul will never offset a live ball foul. Only live ball fouls will offset. (NFHS)
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Under any circumstance, the USC fouls offset. See 10.1.5.
Rule 10-1-5 refers to half the distance to the goal. Rule 10-2-5 states, "A dead ball foul is not coupled with a live-ball foul or another dead-ball foul to create a double or multiple foul." Case Book 10.2.5 Situation B addresses this situation (using fighting instead of USC, but it still applies) where Team A starts the fight, where Team B starts the fight, and where no one knows who started the fight. If both players simultaneously yelled "%*#@ you!" to each other, there would be no penalty yardage assessed.

Quote:
From a practical standpoint, unless Team B is down by 8 or less to Team A (or the game is tied), the penalty will be declined and the game will be over.
Even if Team B is down by more than 8, they usually take the penalty. Every team I've seen down late in a game usually tries to score. Maybe they are being shutout. Maybe they want the score to seem better than it was.

Of course, if the accepted penalty only gives Team B the ball on their own 15 or so, they may decline it. Not many teams would bother attempting for a meaningless 85-yard touchdown. But if the ball is at the A 40 or closer...

Last edited by Bullycon; Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 06:01pm.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 12:07am
Archaic Power Monger

Bully, I'm almost positive that Aggie is referring to NCAA rules.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

From a practical standpoint, under the NF code, the key consideration may well be who is ahead at the time this situation developed. If the game ended with USC folus by both teams, the last thing you want to do is extend the game for an untimed down, and give both teams one last shot at each other.

If the Receiving team was ahead, the smart thing to do is persuade them to decline the facemask penalty, thus ending the game. The USC actions happened after the game has ended and whatever disciplinary action might be taken against each player is best left to their respective coaches.

If the Receivers are behind, by more than 7 points, you still might try and persuade them that the smart thing to do is accept the defeat, decline the penalty and end the contest rather than risk an unnecessary untimed down where emotions may be higher due to the USC situations.

If necessary you may have to explain, to an emptional or excited coach, that having the "right" to an untimed down, when young athletes emotions may be at their highest, doesn't mean insisting on an unnecessary "extra" down is the "right" decision and any consequences of something bad happening during that unnecessary down will land directly at his feet.

If the Receivers are behind by less than 7 points, they will likely want the facemask penalty which will provide them with an untimed down, no matter where the subsequent spot may be. Under the NF code, the USC fouls do not "offset", but their actual enforcement can produce the same result. Unless these fouls were completely separate incidences, they should be applied so the ending spot is the same as the starting spot.

Whether you choose to actually step off the yardage, returning to where you started, is your freference. If half the distance is a factor, if at all possible go the long way first, so you'll wind up as close as possible to the starting point. You might remind both teams, depending on how high the emotions actually are, that the consquences for anything stupid done during the down will carry over to the next game, and possibly beyond.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 10-1-5 refers to half the distance
Wrong book. I was referring to the NCAA book. The original poster said he wanted the NCAA interp.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Thanks ya'll - appreciate it.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong book. I was referring to the NCAA book. The original poster said he wanted the NCAA interp.
Whoops! Completely missed that part of the post. Sorry about that.