The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Don't worry, the flag isn't copyrighted.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Got my answer today from the WIAA here in Wisconsin:

"If you choose to place the flag on your officiating uniform, it is required
the flag be sewn on the left sleeve (3 to 4 inches above the elbow). The size of the flag is not to exceed 2" x 3". Placing the flag on other
locations other than the sleeve will be allowed for fall regular season play
only. If you will be doing WIAA fall tournaments and you choose to have the
flag on your uniform it must be on the left sleeve. Officials that
officiate together (i.e. football crew, basketball partners, etc.) must
display the flag in the same manner."

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Joan Gralla
WIAA

There you have it...here in WI anyway.

Thanks again fellas.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Got my answer today from the WIAA here in Wisconsin:

"If you choose to place the flag on your officiating uniform, it is required
the flag be sewn on the left sleeve (3 to 4 inches above the elbow). The size of the flag is not to exceed 2" x 3". Placing the flag on other
locations other than the sleeve will be allowed for fall regular season play
only. If you will be doing WIAA fall tournaments and you choose to have the
flag on your uniform it must be on the left sleeve. Officials that
officiate together (i.e. football crew, basketball partners, etc.) must
display the flag in the same manner."

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Joan Gralla
WIAA

There you have it...here in WI anyway.

Thanks again fellas.
I guess post 9 and the Officials Guidebook weren't good enough references for you?

The best choice is "don't bother with the flag in the first place."
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I guess post 9 and the Officials Guidebook weren't good enough references for you?

The best choice is "don't bother with the flag in the first place."
Sorry...didn't catch that reply, Rich. And like I said, I think they should be mandatory, and I think they look good and dress up the uniform with a bit more class. Two of my guys are military vets, one is a police officer, I have 2 family members overseas right now and between the 2 crews I either run or work with, there are another 6 currently in the military. I know that's not how you meant it, but the flag supposedly being a bother is a shame in it's own right.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry...didn't catch that reply, Rich. And like I said, I think they should be mandatory, and I think they look good and dress up the uniform with a bit more class. Two of my guys are military vets, one is a police officer, I have 2 family members overseas right now and between the 2 crews I either run or work with, there are another 6 currently in the military. I know that's not how you meant it, but the flag supposedly being a bother is a shame in it's own right.
I don't see any correlation between sports officiating and wearing a flag. I really don't get it. I don't wear a flag on any of my street clothes, why should I wear one when I am on the field/court?

And yes, having to sew anything on a shirt is a bother...I don't care if it is a state association patch, position placket, numbers, or a flag.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Without spending all night looking for my books and online, can anyone tell me the official NFHS guideline on that. Anyone in WI that does it would be better...not sure if WIAA governs that or NFHS.

Thanks in advance.
I will say this. We do not follow any NF guidelines because mechanics and uniform choices are not up to the NF. These are state regulations that ultimately govern what officials wear or do not wear. Many states require patches and the NF has not language to as to how they are to be placed or where they are to be placed. States can follow any mechanic regulation they want to (my state does not even follow NF Mechanics in any sport) and uniform regulations they want to. This is why you might see basketball officials wearing different shirts than what is stated in the NF book. I know in baseball we can wear any number of shirt colors as long as they have a state patch on those shirts. Playoffs we default to a specific shirt.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

We can have a pi$$ing match about this all day if you want. You and several others don't care for them...I and several other officials do.

I like them, I think they're decent and professional looking, and add a little class, maybe even a bit of pride, respect, or authority to the uniform as a whole. Something that is seriously missing in society when you see all of the flack and incidents that are happening between refs/umps and fans, players and such.

Obviously, you don't get why me or any of my crew want to wear them either. It's not about how much work it is to have your wife, sister, mom, or sporting goods store put a patch on your shirt(s). Getting a patch sewn on, temp glued, or velcroed on by yourself takes about as much energy as it does to get out of bed....or to get into position or out of the way when a play is coming right at you, for that matter.

I came here looking for in-depth insight to various areas of officiating certain sports, to share some things that I've seen over 15 years of officiating, and to bounce questions off of some others that have worked their sports long enough to give a concise, common, and correct answer to anything I may have an interest in and to see what others have witnessed over the course of their careers. A good portion of you guys seem like you're out for an argument rather than trying to point someone in the right direction. Maybe some of you should be coaching or in the stands instead, where you apparently see it all.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I don't see any correlation between sports officiating and wearing a flag. I really don't get it. I don't wear a flag on any of my street clothes, why should I wear one when I am on the field/court?

And yes, having to sew anything on a shirt is a bother...I don't care if it is a state association patch, position placket, numbers, or a flag.
I think you covered it when you observed, "I really don't get it.". It's not about a correlation between sports officiating and our flag.

It's about respect, it's about 9/11, it's about honoring those who are spread out around the globe so we're able to enjoy participating in a great game back home without fearing that something terrible might happen just for being there. It's about being proud enough about being blessed as an American, to designate yourself as an American.

Unfortunately, if you really don't "get it", it's doubtful you ever will.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We can have a pi$$ing match about this all day if you want. You and several others don't care for them...I and several other officials do.

I like them, I think they're decent and professional looking, and add a little class, maybe even a bit of pride, respect, or authority to the uniform as a whole. Something that is seriously missing in society when you see all of the flack and incidents that are happening between refs/umps and fans, players and such.

Obviously, you don't get why me or any of my crew want to wear them either. It's not about how much work it is to have your wife, sister, mom, or sporting goods store put a patch on your shirt(s). Getting a patch sewn on, temp glued, or velcroed on by yourself takes about as much energy as it does to get out of bed....or to get into position or out of the way when a play is coming right at you, for that matter.

I came here looking for in-depth insight to various areas of officiating certain sports, to share some things that I've seen over 15 years of officiating, and to bounce questions off of some others that have worked their sports long enough to give a concise, common, and correct answer to anything I may have an interest in and to see what others have witnessed over the course of their careers. A good portion of you guys seem like you're out for an argument rather than trying to point someone in the right direction. Maybe some of you should be coaching or in the stands instead, where you apparently see it all.
You made a statement that people here have the right to disagree with. And it is completely in the right for people to question you one why you feel that way. If that is a problem, then a discussion board is not going to be for you, because that is what we do here is debate several issues and that does include what we put on our uniforms. I personally wear a flag on my uniform and it is optional. Just about everyone does it where I live, because when 9-11 took place, it was obvious football season. Those around here, starting wearing flags on our jersey (which there was not standard policy if I remember correctly before that time) around that time and did not wear them before that incident. We have done it ever since, but I do not know if it is useful or appropriate. And that is why on every other sport I work. I do not wear a flag at all. I will do it only because the crew and most crews do it in football. But if someone does not put one on their jersey, it is no skin off my back. It was a legitimate question to ask you why you feel that way and you still have not answered the question. I think wearing a flag does not make you more patriotic or is something that needs to be displayed on a uniform of non-governmental people like officials are in their role during games. We are independent contactors and only working because our states allow us to work. Flags to me are not necessary for our jobs. And when you say they should be mandatory, people want to know why considering that even the government suggest that the proper display of flags are not to go on uniforms.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I think you covered it when you observed, "I really don't get it.". It's not about a correlation between sports officiating and our flag.

It's about respect, it's about 9/11, it's about honoring those who are spread out around the globe so we're able to enjoy participating in a great game back home without fearing that something terrible might happen just for being there. It's about being proud enough about being blessed as an American, to designate yourself as an American.

That event is not the only tragedy in this countries history. There was the Oklahoma City Bombing that involved governmental agencies and people working in those agencies both military and civilian casualties, and no one was wearing a flag after that event. And the event was done in direct conflict with the U.S. Government, but the terrorist were from this country. And if that is the only reason, in my opinion that is not a very good reason. Just like it was not a very good reason for Presidential Candidates to wear a flag on their suits for the same reason. And even in that case, the biggest critics of people not wearing flags on their lapel, were some of the same people that did not wear them either but were claiming everyone that was "against America" that did not decide to wear such a symbol. This is not the first war we have had in this country or the first tragic event, so and that is why some people "do not get" why this event was so different?

Peace
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I do think it's a bother, but that's not it -- I have one basketball shirt with a flag so I match my partners. But I'm the CC on my football crew and we'll never put flags on our football shirts.

I do not need to wear a flag patch to be patriotic. I do not need to advertise my patriotism (or religion or anything else...). I think the trend of wearing flags on officiating uniforms is unnecessary and unfortunate and, well, a violation of the flag code, to boot.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

It's about respect, it's about 9/11....

If it isn't about sports officiating then do you wear a flag on your street clothes?

The part I do not understand is why many people would never wear a flag on their street clothes but when they go out to officiate they wear shirts with flags. To them there must be some correlation between officiating and patriotism as if it was about respect and all the things you said then they would wear one on their street clothes also.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Some of us have been here for a decade or near to it and ask questions about OFFICIATING and talk about OFFICIATING. You've made 9 posts and most of them have to do with a flag patch and nothing to do with officiating. Maybe someone else should be in the stands.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Oddly, the US Flag Code states that it's disrespectful to place the flag on athletic uniforms.

Go figure.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Point is Rich, I came looking for advice. I got advice and then I also got what I consider more of a chastising because I was for the flags. I have no qualms whatsoever with anyone questioning my reasons. I cut my teeth in reffing back in my early twenties with a man that was Chief of Police in my city. He was also a highly decorated vet from the Vietnam War. In his last year of officiating, also the year of the 9/11 tragedy, we thought we would honor him to a degree, and our country....something I apparently need to defend to some of the guys who have responded today. I took over that same crew and over a few years have added some great crew members who also happen to be military veterans with one currently being a police officer. We thought it would be a nice touch to add.

I can tell you that back in 2001 when we wore the flag for the remainder of that season, people would comment on how much they thought the flags looked great and how they looked a part of the uniform.

I can tell by your comments alone that many a good official have probably walked away from this forum due to pure attitude. If I didn't have to defend a simple 2"x3" flag to the bitter end like a cornered pit bull, you're right I'd have about 4 total posts. And you having 10 years of seniority on one of probably 20 or more different officiating forums across the country makes you obviously the best official here or anywhere.

I'll stop by now again to look at or address something I may come across. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing you working the big game next February. You're obviously far and away the cream of the crop...at least from WI, anyway.