The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Is the exact way to wear the IAABO & American Flag patch on the referee shirt written anywhere?

Topref
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

There is no reference to the US flag patch in the IAABO Handbook (HS Edition), perhaps because it is an international organization. If you go to IAABO.org and scroll down to "collegiate corner," it states the NCAA's information regarding flag patches. They require the left shoulder, union blue in top left corner. I don't know if it is optional for HS Boards, but ours requires us to put the flag on the back of the shirt, center, just below the black collar.

Notice that Major League Baseball has every team (all jackets) displaying the flag incorrectly. I'm sure they mean no disrespect, but someone should have had a heads up and used reverse flags.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
In my local IAABO Board we also wear the flag patch in the back just below the black trim of the collar. Personally I think that this position is awful. Ideally the flag should be displyed on the left sleeve, IMHO. People could even say that the rear position is disrespectful.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Iaabo\am Flag patch

This is why I asked the question (different variations) of how they're displayed. My I intent is to put out some concrete guidance and maybe a graphic display to my organization. Thanks for the input, I'll check the IAABO website again and monitor any other input.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Last season my local board approved a recommendation that all officials wear American Flag patches on their uniform shirt to demonstrate support of American armed forces in the Middle East and the many other Americans impacted by the events of September 11. We are located in an area that draws a large number of its officials from local military installations.

The instructions that went with the patches (donated thru local companies) were as follows:
"The patch should be placed on the LEFT sleve, so the bottom of the patch is two inches above the top edge of the black sleeve band."