The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Is the NFHS going with the American flag patch on the ref's uniform for this season?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
Is the NFHS going with the American flag patch on the ref's uniform for this season?
I do believe you are authorized to wear the American flag on your uniform. They have not specifically stated it had to be worn so check with your association.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Yeah, this is an associational thing. It varies, it's not required for us but I can't think of too many officials who do not have one though. I heard someone say somtime it seperates the new guys from the guys who have been around for a little while? A coach told me that so we know how much credibility that has.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 09:25am
M.A.S.H.

I've got one on my jacket, but none on my shirts.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:39am
Do not give a damn!!

This is not an association thing, this is an individual thing. No one can make you wear a symbol one way or another.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:48am
Official & Member

I hate to sound ignorant, but our local assn. hasn't mentioned flag patches one way or the other. I remember the federation rule that they should be 2" x 3", but which sleeve and where do you guys get them? Officials Choice?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad Zebra
I hate to sound ignorant, but our local assn. hasn't mentioned flag patches one way or the other. I remember the federation rule that they should be 2" x 3", but which sleeve and where do you guys get them? Officials Choice?
This might depend on where you live. In my state we have to wear a state patch on our left shoulder. So we are instructed to wear our flag patch on the right shoulder (not required). I think the right shoulder is a common place to put the flag, but it is possible that you have to wear other patches on that shoulder and you might be instructed to do something else. I have seen flag patches on the right chest pocket area (mainly football officials) and put on the back near the neck area. I am sure there is a standard where you live, just ask around.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:13am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Well if you order them from the Officials Choice you'll pay about 3 bucks for the flag and 11 on shipping. So I get mine from Honig's.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Actually, to wear the patch properly, it depends which way the flag is displayed on the patch. We had this issue a few years ago in our association. The proper way to wear the flag is so that the stars are toward the front of your body and the stripes trail behind. We had both types of patches available and some of the refs bought the wrong type of patch for the shoulder they were wearing it on.

So, for example, if you wear the flag patch on your left shoulder, the stars should be on the left side of the flag patch.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Well if you order them from the Officials Choice you'll pay about 3 bucks for the flag and 11 on shipping. So I get mine from Honig's.
Pick them up next time you go to Walmart or try a craft store.

Hey, this is my 1000th post.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Smile you can also get them at...

National Emblem, Inc. Randhurst Shopping Center #115, 999 N. Elmhurst Rd., Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

Ph. 800-877-6185
Richard Kurtyka ~ Midwest Sales Manager

I think my patches were less than $2 each. And they paid the postage too!!! What a deal!!!

And if you wear the flag patch on your right sleeve (which isn't required by NFHS as others have stated), since my state association patch is on my left sleeve, make sure out of respect for all of our fighting men and women and our country that you get the flag patch with the blue field facing forward!!! this particular patch looks backwards to the way our flag is normally seen. but, the blue field is always to be pointing forward and never in "retreat". I hate seeing our flag displayed the wrong way on officials uniforms.

Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
This is not an association thing, this is an individual thing. No one can make you wear a symbol one way or another.

Peace
For clarification this statement is correct. No one can make you wear a symbol one way or the other.

However, they can decline to assign games to you if you do not conform to the association requirements. This is similar to the comment you make later in this thread about having to wear the state patch.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
True, but they can deny you the ability to work certain games if you fail to comply to uniform standards. In my state, one of those standards is the IAABO patch. Of course, nobody can make me wear it. But if I don't wear it, it won't be too long before I am censured by my association and put on probation, which means I can't work HS games.

So while Rut's statement is true, it misses the context of the original question. If your association says the flag is a mandatory part of the uniform, then you can wear it and work games or you can refuse and retire.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 01:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess it really comes from where you live. I do not belong to groups or organizations that assign any games. The IHSA is not an official's association. The IHSA is an association of schools and they license officials in order to work those games. The only things they require are patches to signify that we are licensed with the IHSA. Flag patches are symbols that have nothing to do with officiating. Of course someone could "require" you wear such a patch. The problem is we are independent contractors (at least in our state) and that might open the assignors up for violating independent contractor laws. I have said before it amazes me how many are "slaves to their organizations," and here our organizations are there to train and recruit officials only. We are not trying to make people do anything that might have a political slant to it. Whether we like it or not, wearing an American Flag has political statements surrounding it. I am not sure many want to "go there." Obviously they could make such a requirement, but you might have to deal with a lawsuit to defend that position. Not sure many assignors or associations want to open themselves up for that kind of issue. After all they want to fill games, not alienate people that might work for them.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

No lawsuits would be forthcoming because there is no merit.

Like you said we are independent contractors. We do not have to accept any games. Likewise, Associations, Conferences or any other group responsible for assigning games are not required to assign us any games. If you don't like the requirements don't accept the assignment. Nobody is a "slave to the organization". You either choose to abide by their rules and constituition or you don't participate. Therefore, a lawsuit is frivolous (sp?)

Please tell me laws would be violated. There are many employers who require the flag to be worn as part of the uniform. If you don't like it, don't work for them. It is as simple as that.

Now, in terms of where I officiate, it is our option. However, since I choose to call this country home, I have no problem sewing the patch on my sleeve.

Chuck said the same thing I did, only better.