The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertZebra View Post
The hashmarks on the sideline must be what you're referring to, because that's where the were standing. Nice try though.
At least 3 coaches were INSIDE the white hat who had come over to measure. What about that huge white band is so hard for coaches to understand and officials to enforce?

Nice to see none of them working to get those coaches off the field, too.

Oh, another great finish by the Buckeyes again. 3 BCS bowl games lost in a row. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yeah, you made that up.

It is the second USC Foul that warrants and ejection. (Those involve no contact)

Peace
QB throws and interception. After the pass the defensive end roughs the QB.

PF - Roughing.

Next Series the same thing happens. Another personal foul, roughing.

Similar situation but instead of roughing the QB the DE taunts the QB.

After USC foul number 2, taunting, the DE is DQ'd.

I'm just saying...
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
QB throws and interception. After the pass the defensive end roughs the QB.

PF - Roughing.

Next Series the same thing happens. Another personal foul, roughing.

Similar situation but instead of roughing the QB the DE taunts the QB.

After USC foul number 2, taunting, the DE is DQ'd.

I'm just saying...
What you described makes sense. You do not get DQ'd on the second personal foul (unless flagrant single act of course).

Peace
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Way to blow my legitimate question out of the water guys.

As to the 4th down play and the coaches on the field, yes, some OSU coaches were 2 yards onto the field, but after watching the replay, on the wide angle, the same number of Texas coaches are out onto the field, too. So, no dice there.

Again, great game to watch. Great job by my cuz. But i'd still like an explanation on the USC, should've been 2 instead of 1. And more than likely it didn't matter anyway, but you never know.

And to JRut, I hope I never cross paths with you. The way you try to bully people around on the boards says VOLUMES about you. I know exactly what type of ref you'd be.

And as far as OSU not finishing games off, you couldn't be further from the truth. They've had problems showing up in the past couple bowl games, not finishing them off. Usually when they're in tight games, they put it away. Just ask the '02 Canes in the same Fiesta Bowl.

And to Colt McCoy, way to eke out a victory over a big underdog, while the two 2 teams that pounded OSU have already played in the Rose Bowl. Enjoy your runner-up title, heck, Utah should be deserving of a share of a title, not you guys.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:29am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
How about a flag on the OSU coaching staff for running damned near out to the hashmarks on the 4th down play before the winning TD?
I was yelling "STICK HIM!" at the TV when this was happening. I wasn't expecting him to of course but you never know.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I was yelling "STICK HIM!" at the TV when this was happening. I wasn't expecting him to of course but you never know.
I thought for sure he, or his assistants, were gonna cost them 15 yards.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
On another note, I do feel a little bit sorry for both Oklahoma and Florida. Based on the rotation of officiating crews so far for the BCS, that means either the PAC 10 or ACC has the National Championship game this year.

I was hoping to see the Big XII, Big Ten, or Big East get the crew assignment for the National Championship. BTW Desert Zebra, kudos to your cousin's crew last night, I thought they did a GREAT job in the game especially at the end.

Your cousin deserves a lot of props for keeping his crew calm, cool, and collective with all the emotion of both sides in the weighing moments of the game.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Not that it really means anything but the R actually announced "excessive demonstration", which created some interesting discussion in the ref chatroom we had going.

From the Box Score:
T 1-10 O26 McCoy, Colt pass complete to Cosby, Quan for 26 yards to the OHIOST0,
1ST DOWN UT, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:16.
Unsportmanlike conduct (excessive demonstration) penalty on kickoff.
Lawrence, Hunte kick attempt good.

=======================
OHIO STATE 21, TEXAS 24
=======================

T 1-G T30 PENALTY UT unsportsmanlike conduct (Cosby, Quan) 15 yards to the
UT15.

FYI - ACC has the MNC game (Ron "giving him the business" Cherry at R)

Last edited by TXMike; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 09:43am.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
At least 3 coaches were INSIDE the white hat who had come over to measure. What about that huge white band is so hard for coaches to understand and officials to enforce?

Nice to see none of them working to get those coaches off the field, too.

Oh, another great finish by the Buckeyes again. 3 BCS bowl games lost in a row. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.
I watched some of the ESPN coverage after the game and their banner at the bottom of the screen initially said,

"Ohio State 5-2 in BCS Bowl Games"
"Texas ends 5 game BCS win streak"

I'm guessing they created two different banners depending on who won and showed the wrong one. It was up for several seconds and then came down. I was imagining some guy in the production truck going "Oh S%*#!" and pulling it down. But then it was back up again! It came down another time and when it went back up, Ohio State was now 5-3 in BCS games (I think they had the Texas 6-game win streak that time). A few minutes later they finally corrected the Ohio State record to 4-3.

Not a big deal but something that was at least a little entertaining at such a late hour.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

The number the WH gave for the USC was not the number of the guy who scored.

Ok, which of you is going to flag a coaching staff for being on the field during a dead ball in a big game like this? I think the officials did a good job handling it. Common sense prevails.

Good game. Except for poor defense on the TD at the end, the Bucks played well against a great offense. Texas can't claim #1 because they barely beat OSU which already lost twice before including a blowout to USC.

I think a 4-team playoff is do-able to end this bickering. All you do is rotate the semis among the major bowls each year and have the final the next week. There aren't more than 4 teams that are at the very top in any year.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertZebra View Post
I thought for sure he, or his assistants, were gonna cost them 15 yards.
Hey DZ...do you know what exactly they were complaining about? It looked like the initial spot by the LJ was about a half yard short of the LTG. I thought he reached the LTG so my initial reaction was bad spot. When the camera came back to the ball though, it was marked where I thought it should be marked. I assumed Tressel's reaction was due to someone changing the initial spot made by the LJ even though I thought it was the correct spot. I could understand why he was upset if he thought he was getting jobbed but a changed spot but in the end, the officials got the right spot.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
I think a 4-team playoff is do-able to end this bickering. All you do is rotate the semis among the major bowls each year and have the final the next week. There aren't more than 4 teams that are at the very top in any year.
This year I think there could be more than 4 I would like to see in that playoff: Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, USC, Utah and maybe Penn State or Texas Tech. That would have made a great 8-team playoff as well! If you had to go with 4, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama would not have been bad but Utah's win makes that discussion even more interesting.

I've always enjoyed the Bowl games as they are and would be fine if they stuck with that and did NOT have a national champion at all. If they want to have a national champion though, I think they need to go to a playoff. They can keep the other bowls for teams that don't make the playoffs but a national champion for a team sport that keeps score needs to have its champion determined by a playoff.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Texas can't claim #1 because they barely beat OSU which already lost twice before including a blowout to USC.
Except if Oklahoma, aka Texas North, beats Florida and then you recall that UT beat OU 45-35 on a neutral field.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Ok, which of you is going to flag a coaching staff for being on the field during a dead ball in a big game like this? I think the officials did a good job handling it. Common sense prevails.
Not me, but I'm at least going to make an effort to GET THEM OFF THE FIELD and NOW. The officials stood there like the guy in the commercial getting yelled at by his wife.

Now, week 3 in Podunk, WI? We won't need to measure anymore.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The number the WH gave for the USC was not the number of the guy who scored.
You're right. Here's the video. He calls it on #7.

Texas' #7s are junior CB Deon Beasley and sophomore QB John Chiles, neither of whom, presumably, was in the game at that point.

The official play-by-play sheet says it was Quan Cosby (who's 26 years old, BTW, and should know better), who is #6 and that makes the most sense.

I saw the play and thought, "Well, that there is one of those showboating dives into the end zone with no defenders present that could get him a USC" and when the flag was thrown, they also showed the Texas sideline kind of all over the place (I couldn't tell if they went out onto the field or how far) so I figured somebody was going to get hit and either one would have worked.

And I thought the forward progress spot on the fourth down play was good.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.