The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   OSU/Texas ending (https://forum.officiating.com/football/50722-osu-texas-ending.html)

DesertZebra Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59pm

OSU/Texas ending

OK, I had two reasons to watch the Fiesta Bowl, aside from natural necessity just by being a male: I'm a Buckeye fan, and my great cousin was white hatting the game.

As a fellow white hat I have a valid question to ask of him. On the game winning touchdown Texas was called for USC for rushing the field after the TD, which was totally called for. What I want to know is why the receiver was not flagged for USC for diving into the endzone when he was totally clear of any defenders. The following kickoff should have been from the 7 1/2 yard line. Those 7 yards would have been crucial after the kick return, as OSU would have been at (or across) midfield, and vastly changing the play call on 1st down. Keep in mind, the OSU place kicker would have just needed a few yards to be placed into field goal range.

Hope my cousin as a reason why there was no flag on the receiver, because it was totally warranted.

Texas Aggie Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:02am

I didn't get the number he gave, but he said "excessive celebration." The cameras didn't show a "rush the field." Not saying it didn't happen -- it very well could have and that might have been what was flagged -- but upon what was seen, I don't know for sure the diving into the end zone wasn't what the infraction was.

JRutledge Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertZebra (Post 564950)
OK, I had two reasons to watch the Fiesta Bowl, aside from natural necessity just by being a male: I'm a Buckeye fan, and my great cousin was white hatting the game.

As a fellow white hat I have a valid question to ask of him. On the game winning touchdown Texas was called for USC for rushing the field after the TD, which was totally called for. What I want to know is why the receiver was not flagged for USC for diving into the endzone when he was totally clear of any defenders. The following kickoff should have been from the 7 1/2 yard line. Those 7 yards would have been crucial after the kick return, as OSU would have been at (or across) midfield, and vastly changing the play call on 1st down. Keep in mind, the OSU place kicker would have just needed a few yards to be placed into field goal range.

Hope my cousin as a reason why there was no flag on the receiver, because it was totally warranted.

Was that not what he was flagged for?

And if that was not what the flag was for (they were called for USC BTW), then I can easily make a case that he was diving in to make sure he scored. He did not just do a swan dive. He was trying to get into the end zone. But I thought that was what the flag was for.

How about, not put them in that position and win the damn game? I am tired of Buckeyes complaining when you cannot finish the deal.

Peace

IHSAref Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:12am

A different question from the game. OSU #90 was called twice for roughing the passer, regradless if this was the right call on the second time, I thought I read some where where after the 2nd personal foul the player was kicked out of te game. There is a chance I made that up! THanks for your help!

JRutledge Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHSAref (Post 564958)
A different question from the game. OSU #90 was called twice for roughing the passer, regradless if this was the right call on the second time, I thought I read some where where after the 2nd personal foul the player was kicked out of te game. There is a chance I made that up! THanks for your help!

Yeah, you made that up. :p

It is the second USC Foul that warrants and ejection. (Those involve no contact)

Peace

DesertZebra Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:23am

OK, if the foul was on the receiver, then the entire Texas sideline should have been flagged for running 15 yards or so onto the field. Yeah, they were excited, but rules are rules.

I'm not making excuses, either, it's a valid question. Like I said, my cuz was white hatting, so I will definitely be asking him about that play (and the incorrect Roughing the Passer call in the 3rd quarter).

Great game to watch though!

DesertZebra Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 564954)
I am tired of Buckeyes complaining when you cannot finish the deal.

OK, i wasn't playing in the game, but whatever. Some of us get tired of you, too. :rolleyes:

Adam Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:25am

Does this mean Iowa was the only Big Ten team to win its Bowl game?

Rich Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertZebra (Post 564970)
OK, if the foul was on the receiver, then the entire Texas sideline should have been flagged for running 15 yards or so onto the field. Yeah, they were excited, but rules are rules.

I'm not making excuses, either, it's a valid question. Like I said, my cuz was white hatting, so I will definitely be asking him about that play (and the incorrect Roughing the Passer call in the 3rd quarter).

How about a flag on the OSU coaching staff for running damned near out to the hashmarks on the 4th down play before the winning TD?

Amazing how this is "OK" and the "excessive celebration" gets the flag.

IHSAref Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 564975)
Does this mean Iowa was the only Big Ten team to win its Bowl game?

Yes it sure does :D

JRutledge Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertZebra (Post 564970)

You are making excuses. :rolleyes:

The OSU sideline could have been flagged too for their being on the field during the

BTW, the Roughing was correct, because the contact was with the crown of the helmet. It might not have been helmet to helmet contact, but you cannot lead with your head. I think the officials thought the contact was with the helmet on the QB, but it still was the right call.

Stop whining, they lost. Nothing stops you from stopping them all the way down the field to score. If there was not a flag on the TD dive, that did not have anything to do with why they allowed Texas to score.

Peace

DesertZebra Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 564980)
How about a flag on the OSU coaching staff for running damned near out to the hashmarks on the 4th down play before the winning TD?

The hashmarks on the sideline must be what you're referring to, because that's where the were standing. Nice try though.

DesertZebra Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:46am

Hey, no complaints here. I won a pretty penny on that game. Bucks covered the spread easily.

3SPORT Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:47am

I wish all codes would just change the celebration rules to reflect a true un-sportsmanslike act. Some reactions to a play are true human emotions and not taunting.

DesertZebra Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3SPORT (Post 564988)
I wish all codes would just change the celebration rules to reflect a true un-sportsmanslike act. Some reactions to a play are true human emotions and not taunting.

I agree with you on that point. But we've got to play with the cards we're dealt right now. The problem is, how can one define the difference between emotion and taunting. I think the rules are the way they are right now is because there is such a fine line... gotta flag all of it instead of some of it.