The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Last week's Official Review Mike Pereria said rookies and officials with problems would not work the playoffs. The conference finals and the Super Bowl will be all-star crews.

Greg Gumbel said Hochuli's crew was rated #1. That does not mean Ed himself was rated number 1; however, consider each official is rated for every call/no-call and the SD-Denver call was only one call in 16 games. One call a season does not make.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Last week's Official Review Mike Pereria said rookies and officials with problems would not work the playoffs. The conference finals and the Super Bowl will be all-star crews.

Greg Gumbel said Hochuli's crew was rated #1. That does not mean Ed himself was rated number 1; however, consider each official is rated for every call/no-call and the SD-Denver call was only one call in 16 games. One call a season does not make.
Thanks Ed and everyone else for clarifying where they heard Hochuli was the #1 crew. I only watched some of the game and had not heard that. Good for them! I only wish our high school crews in Indiana could be evaluated by someone who actually knows something about officating, philosophies and rules rather than just the coaches.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Rookies don't work playoffs. I forget how many years they have to work before they're eligible. There used to be a good site ofr this type of info, including who worked every game.
REPLY: This was the site you're referring to, I believe. Behind the Football Stripes

But it went 'dormant' in 2005 and hasn't been updated since. And in its latter days, every click created an unwanted ad of some sort.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Ed's LJ #47 Pedroia (a rookie) is not on the game. The LJ is #10, from another crew.
That's Tim Podraza , my first year instructor. You'll have a real hard time finding a nicer guy and better official anywhere.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Other two games:

BAL/MIA: Hochuli (R), Brown* (U), Hittner* (HL), Phares (LJ), Weatherford* (SJ), Sifferman* (FJ), Schmitz* (BJ).
PHI/MIN: Corrente (R), Hall (U), McGrath* (HL), Hussey* (LJ), Lamberth (SJ), Weir* (FJ), Paganelli (BJ)

*Were on this referee's crew this season.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Ed's LJ #47 Pedroia (a rookie) is not on the game. The LJ is #10, from another crew.
It's Podraza (#47).

#10 is a HL. Why was he working LJ?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA View Post
It's Podraza (#47).

#10 is a HL. Why was he working LJ?
Why are you asking me? Do I look like Pereria's secretary?

(Sorry - couldn't resist.)
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
That's Tim Podraza , my first year instructor. You'll have a real hard time finding a nicer guy and better official anywhere.
I knew I had his name wrong; I should have looked it up. I usually look at the roster many times throughout the season; though this season was just at the beginning.

Give Tim my apologies?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Some clarification about how it all works.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I generally like Peter King, but he fell into the same mistake as many saying that he can't believe Hochuli is one of the top rated officials based on the magnitue of the missed SD/DEN call (i.e. one that 'decided' the game). The truth is, if this happened in the 2nd quarter of an October game between teams with losing records, no one would even think about it, and it would be impossible that anyone would suggest that official should miss the playoffs for that call. Yet, that 'meaningless' call (meaningless in the eyes of many fans anyway) is just as important to the official.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
I generally like Peter King, but he fell into the same mistake as many saying that he can't believe Hochuli is one of the top rated officials based on the magnitue of the missed SD/DEN call (i.e. one that 'decided' the game). The truth is, if this happened in the 2nd quarter of an October game between teams with losing records, no one would even think about it, and it would be impossible that anyone would suggest that official should miss the playoffs for that call. Yet, that 'meaningless' call (meaningless in the eyes of many fans anyway) is just as important to the official.
High profile vs. losing teams. That explains the hoopla. Pretty natural reaction. Ed is still top notch and he showed that by the way he handled the situation. He received many emails about the call (most you can expect to be very negative) and he replied to most of them. Pretty classy.

Last edited by Forksref; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 04:43pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
The truth is, if this happened in the 2nd quarter of an October game between teams with losing records, no one would even think about it, and it would be impossible that anyone would suggest that official should miss the playoffs for that call.
Yep.

The game in question was a late game, too, wasn't it? Meaning a lot of people got switched to it when their games were over? So it was seen by a good bit of the populace.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
High profile vs. losing teams. That explains the hoopla. Pretty natural reaction. Ed is still top notch and he showed that by the way he handled the situation. He received many emails about the call (most you can expect to be very negative) and he replied to most of them. Pretty classy.
Oh, I agree that it a totally natural reaction, and I probably would have reacted the same before I was an official. We know better and can say that it is just another call in terms of rating him. I certainly compliment the NFL on doing the right thing with Hochuli rather than what would have been the easier decision from a PR perspective.