The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Ed Hochuli working the playoffs: Miami vs Baltimore (https://forum.officiating.com/football/50691-ed-hochuli-working-playoffs-miami-vs-baltimore.html)

dahoopref Sun Jan 04, 2009 01:18pm

Ed Hochuli working the playoffs: Miami vs Baltimore

Even with all the flack that Hochuli got for the SD vs Denver game earlier, he still gets a playoff game.

I find it very interesting and can only imagine if SD didn't get into the playoffs if there would be more of an uproar.

Hochuli must have graded out pretty well throughout the season to get this assignment despite the week 2 game.

Rich Sun Jan 04, 2009 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 564233)
Even with all the flack that Hochuli got for the SD vs Denver game earlier, he still gets a playoff game.

I find it very interesting and can only imagine if SD didn't get into the playoffs if there would be more of an uproar.

Hochuli must have graded out pretty well throughout the season to get this assignment despite the week 2 game.

It was 1 call. It probably gets the same weight as any other call.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 564233)

The #1 rated crew in the NFL.

As Rich said, it was one call in one game. Every official in the league has missed a call this year. In fact, they've all missed more than one.

I doubt very seriously the NFL cares about any uproar.

Umpmazza Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:09pm

Im glad to see Ed's crew get rated as the #1 crew in the NFL. Good job for those guys.

bisonlj Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 564248)
The #1 rated crew in the NFL.

As Rich said, it was one call in one game. Every official in the league has missed a call this year. In fact, they've all missed more than one.

I doubt very seriously the NFL cares about any uproar.

How do you know they were the #1 rated crew? I don't question it, just curious about your source. I agree it was just one play and did not make or break anyone's season (teams or officials).

Rich Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 564255)
How do you know they were the #1 rated crew? I don't question it, just curious about your source. I agree it was just one play and did not make or break anyone's season (teams or officials).

The CBS announcer said that, although I wonder if he had any actual knowledge.

aschramm Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:42pm

Yep, I believe i heard Phil Simms say that too. Whether or not it's completely accurate, I don't know, but I'm sure Hochuli and his crew rated pretty high to be able to get a playoff game.

Rich Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschramm (Post 564261)
Yep, I believe i heard Phil Simms say that too. Whether or not it's completely accurate, I don't know, but I'm sure Hochuli and his crew rated pretty high to be able to get a playoff game.

I wonder if Hochuli's shot at getting the Super Bowl this season hinges on SD not getting there...

JugglingReferee Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 564265)
I wonder if Hochuli's shot at getting the Super Bowl this season hinges on SD not getting there...

I can't imagine this being the case.

MJT Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:46pm

I would bet that the Pereira made it know to the announcers that they were the #1 crew cuz you know it was going to be talked about. One call, one game, great rest of the year obviously!!!

JugglingReferee Sun Jan 04, 2009 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJT (Post 564268)
I would bet that the Pereira made it know to the announcers that they were the #1 crew cuz you know it was going to be talked about. One call, one game, great rest of the year obviously!!!

I recall in previous years that whoever the #1 rated crew was mentioned. I don't see it as being something new this year.

Texas Aggie Sun Jan 04, 2009 03:21pm

Are they working as crews in the playoffs -- if so, all rounds or just early ones? What about rookies on their crews?

JugglingReferee Sun Jan 04, 2009 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 564281)
Are they working as crews in the playoffs -- if so, all rounds or just early ones? What about rookies on their crews?

Ed's LJ #47 Pedroia (a rookie) is not on the game. The LJ is #10, from another crew.

OverAndBack Sun Jan 04, 2009 03:38pm

Crews thus far:

ATL/AZ: Parry (R), C Paganelli (U), Bowers* (HL), Marinucci* (LJ), Coleman (SJ), Wrolstad* (FL), P Paganelli* (BJ)
IND/SD: Winter (R), Dawson (U), Mello* (HL), Stephan* (LJ), Hill* (SJ), Carroll* (FJ), Reels* (BJ)

*Were on this referee's crew this season

BktBallRef Sun Jan 04, 2009 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 564281)

Rookies don't work playoffs. I forget how many years they have to work before they're eligible. There used to be a good site ofr this type of info, including who worked every game.