The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
TASO (Texas officials association) is very much lacking in quality leadership, so I don't doubt the mixed message some are hearing about the charges. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in TASO leadership said "don't file because we don't want to risk angering anyone", or "we don't want to bother with the hassle."

Instead, there should have been a press release from TASO and UIL commenting on the situation and note that assault charges were being looked into.
TASO leaders did recommend he file the report, but he chose not to.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Can we please stop with the hyperbole?

If you want the kid to be punished via the criminal justice system, fine. Let's not pretend that the punishment will be a deterrent to the next kid that loses his mind during a physical game, though. Let's also not pretend that we live in the wild wild west and that authority figures in this country haven't repeatedly and irreparably abused their authority leading to the diminished respect some here have for authority figures in general.

I understand the player violated the criminal code in TX. I understand the desire of some to charge him with a crime. I would support the battered official if he chose to press charges. What I won't do is sit here and watch ALL of you pontificate ad nauseam on how the offended official is wrong (in his handling of the situation) and you are right without pointing out that the situation might not be so black and white for some of us.

Personally, I would treat this as a civil matter if injured and would consider it a risk of stepping on the field into a heated physical situation if not. I just can't imaging getting the police involved either way. If that makes me stupid in all of your eyes, I'll wear the hat.

I'm with you Brett.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Can we please stop with the hyperbole?

If you want the kid to be punished via the criminal justice system, fine. Let's not pretend that the punishment will be a deterrent to the next kid that loses his mind during a physical game, though. Let's also not pretend that we live in the wild wild west and that authority figures in this country haven't repeatedly and irreparably abused their authority leading to the diminished respect some here have for authority figures in general.

I understand the player violated the criminal code in TX. I understand the desire of some to charge him with a crime. I would support the battered official if he chose to press charges. What I won't do is sit here and watch ALL of you pontificate ad nauseam on how the offended official is wrong (in his handling of the situation) and you are right without pointing out that the situation might not be so black and white for some of us.

Personally, I would treat this as a civil matter if injured and would consider it a risk of stepping on the field into a heated physical situation if not. I just can't imaging getting the police involved either way. If that makes me stupid in all of your eyes, I'll wear the hat.

You are passionate, Mozart, but you do not persuade.

I didn't say the official was at fault if he didn't drag the kid through the process. My call is that SOMEONE, preferably his school, UIL, TASO or as a last resort, the offended official, has to provide some accounting. Otherwise it sends the signal (and you're naive if you think it doesn't in this YouTube era) that you can take such action and have a good chance at getting away with it.

As others have said, I sure wouldn't want you as a back judge behind me in the middle.