The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Why in the world would he not file charges? He was assaulted. As was alluded to above, allowing this sort of thing to go unpunished, simply emboldens others to try the same thing.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
Why in the world would he not file charges? He was assaulted. As was alluded to above, allowing this sort of thing to go unpunished, simply emboldens others to try the same thing.
I know this won't be popular, but I don't know that I would press charges either.

1. I simply don't believe it emboldens others to try the same. This kid will be on youtube for millennia as an example of how not to behave. Do you really think charging a kid with misdemeanor assault in TX is going to stop a 17 year old kid in Oregon from committing misdemeanor assault in the heat of the moment? Please.

2. I'm an adult that realizes that "kids" occasionally make mistakes. I don't think there is anything that the criminal justice system is going to teach him that he hasn't already learned at this point.

3. I simply don't demand a "pound of flesh" for a "pound of flesh". Some might deem that weak - I disagree. In this situation, I don't know that I'd feel wronged enough to tag a "kid" with a (deserved) record.

I respect and understand the argument on the other side. I guess I just don't find this situation to be as black and white as some.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

1 - I dont care what it would do for kids in Oregon I know it would have an effect in Texas and that is what i care about

2 - Then you do not know the "teaching power" of the CJ system

3 - The "record" will only be a misdemeanor and will have no effect on his future employabilty He could even become a FBI Agent if this was his only transgression.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

In my day, you wouldn't have had to worry about what the criminal justice system would have done. What your father would have done to you would have sufficed. Sadly, strong parenting is in short supply anymore.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I know this won't be popular, but I don't know that I would press charges either.

1. I simply don't believe it emboldens others to try the same. This kid will be on youtube for millennia as an example of how not to behave. Do you really think charging a kid with misdemeanor assault in TX is going to stop a 17 year old kid in Oregon from committing misdemeanor assault in the heat of the moment? Please.
Well if the kid in Oregon or anywhere else follows this example he should be so duly punished.

Quote:
2. I'm an adult that realizes that "kids" occasionally make mistakes. I don't think there is anything that the criminal justice system is going to teach him that he hasn't already learned at this point.
What the criminal justice system will teach him is what happens when you make a mistake. Obviously, he has not completed his education in right and wrong. What if this player's "mistake" had caused some serious damage to this official would will still be here debating whether this mistake should or should not be punished?

Quote:
3. I simply don't demand a "pound of flesh" for a "pound of flesh". Some might deem that weak - I disagree. In this situation, I don't know that I'd feel wronged enough to tag a "kid" with a (deserved) record.

I respect and understand the argument on the other side. I guess I just don't find this situation to be as black and white as some.
While the age of the player is unknown if he is under 18 he gets a juvi record which is sealed at 18. If he is over 18 there are several courses of action especially for a misdemeanor that will not impact his future. In some jurisdictions he could get an action in contemplation of dismissal which could hang over his head for some period of time. If he did not commit future crimes it would be dismissed with no record showing.

There are ways to punished and help this young man complete his education in responsibility and right and wrong.

I personally find it preposterous that the "I will not do it again" letter suffices for his actions and like one post said, in my day the court would have been at home in back of the wood shed.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Brett, perhaps some of us from an older generation would consider being viewed on u-tube doing something reprehensible embarrassing and stupid, but there are far too many in the current generation who consider it exhilerating and empowering.

Being sorry because you got caught, doesn't have the same level of repentence as learning and understanding why you were wrong. Our personal actions ALWAYS have consequences, often known and sometimes unanticipated, and we each have to learn of their existence.

A really unpleasant penalty, for a stupid act in Texas provides a learning opportunity for a lot of other 17 year olds in Texas, and if publicized as much as the act itself, can teach a lesson to 17 year olds in Oregon and a lot of other places.

Punishment shouldn't be, "a pound of flesh". It should be something measured that will support the argument, that can be easily recognized, that doing what was done is not worth the consequence that follows choosing to do it.

Don't know what you consider serious, but the dire consequences of a juvenile deciding to deliberately attack an unsuspecting adult, in a supervisory role, to the extent of causing serious bodily injury to satisfy personal frustration, seems like a lesson this young man absolutely needs to learn and clearly understand as soon as possible. Not only for society's benefit, but for his personal lifelong benefit as well.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

I guess if this man grows up to assault another authority figure -- say a policeman -- can we pretty please at that point decide to slap his wrist? Just a little? Hmmm?

People wonder why there's so much lawlessness and lack or respect for authority in this country. It's because we teach it during childhood.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I just saw this posting. I played LB in high school and free safty in college and was always thought of as a hard nosed football player and Lord knows I did my share of complaining to officials about being held, receivers running pick routes, ect. and some of those discussions with officials were heated particularly at critical points of a game but I never disrespected an official verbally or ever took any action physically against them. This kid is a disgrace to his parents, team, coaches, his position and the game. I hope the official presses charges so this kid can get some time, in juvy, to think about what he's done. He's a POS as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by newmdref; Tue Dec 23, 2008 at 01:09pm.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I noticed there's two different groups saying the official involved won't be pressing charges or doubt he will. The UIL (Texas state association) told the school (from what I gleaned in the article) that the official won't be pressing charges (Makes me wonder if he was told not to, or forget even getting a playoff game again???) while the Texas officials association (TASO?) said they doubt he will (makes me wonder if they've actually even talked to him!).
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I noticed there's two different groups saying the official involved won't be pressing charges or doubt he will. The UIL (Texas state association) told the school (from what I gleaned in the article) that the official won't be pressing charges (Makes me wonder if he was told not to, or forget even getting a playoff game again???) while the Texas officials association (TASO?) said they doubt he will (makes me wonder if they've actually even talked to him!).
Wow, Those are sobering thoughts. I hope they aren't true, but they very well could be.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
People wonder why there's so much lawlessness and lack or respect for authority in this country. It's because we teach it during childhood.
Can we please stop with the hyperbole?

If you want the kid to be punished via the criminal justice system, fine. Let's not pretend that the punishment will be a deterrent to the next kid that loses his mind during a physical game, though. Let's also not pretend that we live in the wild wild west and that authority figures in this country haven't repeatedly and irreparably abused their authority leading to the diminished respect some here have for authority figures in general.

I understand the player violated the criminal code in TX. I understand the desire of some to charge him with a crime. I would support the battered official if he chose to press charges. What I won't do is sit here and watch ALL of you pontificate ad nauseam on how the offended official is wrong (in his handling of the situation) and you are right without pointing out that the situation might not be so black and white for some of us.

Personally, I would treat this as a civil matter if injured and would consider it a risk of stepping on the field into a heated physical situation if not. I just can't imaging getting the police involved either way. If that makes me stupid in all of your eyes, I'll wear the hat.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Brett,

I do not see this as an either/or situation. You can still have a criminal case as well as a civil case. There is president for this all over the country when fights or other non-playing action takes place on a field or during play. I have no problem with a kid getting some kind of criminal case against him in this very situation. And if I was the official, there would be a civil case too. People would expect the same if an official went off and hit a coach or player. I do not see why this is any different.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

TASO (Texas officials association) is very much lacking in quality leadership, so I don't doubt the mixed message some are hearing about the charges. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in TASO leadership said "don't file because we don't want to risk angering anyone", or "we don't want to bother with the hassle."

Instead, there should have been a press release from TASO and UIL commenting on the situation and note that assault charges were being looked into.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Brett, OK, In my eyes, you're stupid. What that boy did anywhere else would have been immediate grounds for an arrest. If you consider what happened just a risk of stepping on the field, I'm glad I don't depend on you to have my back in a situation like this.

Every time something like this goes unpunished, it puts the rest of us in danger of being on the receiving end of a shot like that Texas official took. That may be OK in your book, but not in mine. And, thank goodness, not OK with the guys I work with every Friday night. I pity the guys you work with, if, in fact, you are an official.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Anyone ever consider that having charges filed against the kid might actually be doing him a favor? There is the chance that he has no structure in his life and getting into the juvenile system might be a wake up call for him? Believe it or not, I've seen kids turned around by the system. Of course, maybe I've blown his situation out of proportion but I suspect that what I saw on video was not normal for a kid and maybe a symptom of something more serious. Now, it's possible that the coaches might be addressing the problem and many do a great job of being the father figure to troubled kids but then there are some that are only concerned with winning games.