The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I need some help with an inadvertant whistle and a no touchdown result. I was a spectator at this varsity playoff game and I'm not sure about the results of the following play: 3rd and 14 for A from the B 28 yard line. QB rushes up the middle to the B 4 yard line and fumbles (an IW is blown while ball is loose) the ball is muffed by A (kicked) and rolls into the endzone where A falls on the ball. First the ball was placed back at B's 4 yard line and then placed back at B's 28 yard line where the play originated (3rd and 14 repeat the play). A was stuffed on the next 2 plays giving up the ball on downs. A did squeak out a narrow win, however I am not sure this series of events @ the IW was properly enforced. I would have had either a TD or 1st & goal for A. Your comments please.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

There should have been a bean bag dropped at the B 4 (end of the run). Since the IW caused the ball to become dead, the player who recovered the ball in the EZ recovered a dead ball, therfore, no TD. In the play you have described, A has the option to replay the down from the previous spot or take the ball at B's 4 (the spot they last had possession prior to the IW). Sounds like the officials did not give A that option because that was the "no brainer" choice for them. Rule 4-2-3b.

Also, if time for the period had expired during the IW play, A would aslo get an untimed down. Rule 3-3c.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I don't know that I agree with your assesement.

I thought if an IW occurred during a loose ball the down was replayed. If a team is in possession at the time of the IW they have the option of accepting the play at the spot of the IW or replaying.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I believe Shawn is right. Sounds like they ruled it initially Jack's way, but realized the error of their ways and moved it to the correct spot and replayed the down.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Why would team-A want to replay the down?
They lost possession on the B-4 yard line, fumbled the ball and an IW sounded while the ball was loose.

Line to gain was the B-14 correct? They made the line to gain. Should have been 1st and goal from the B-4
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shawn.wortman
I don't know that I agree with your assesement.

I thought if an IW occurred during a loose ball the down was replayed. If a team is in possession at the time of the IW they have the option of accepting the play at the spot of the IW or replaying.
Read rule 4-2-3b.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Please post that rule - we aren't ALL Fed guys.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Here's the entire FED rule re: inadvertent whistles:
ART. 3 … Inadvertent Whistle. During a down, or during a down in which the penalty for a foul is declined, if an inadvertent whistle occurs while:
a. legal forward pass or snap is in flight, or during a legal kick, the down shall be replayed.
b. The ball is loose following a backward pass, fumble, illegal forward pass, or illegal kick, the team last in possession may choose to put the ball in play where possession was lost or replay the down.
c. The ball is in player possession, that team may choose to accept the play at that spot or replay the down.

If an inadvertent whistle occurs during a down in which a foul occurs and the penalty is accepted, the inadvertent whistle is ignored.

REPLY: Tom is correct. It seems it would be to A's advantage to have taken the ball 1-G at B's 4
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Please post that rule - we aren't ALL Fed guys.
I do not have my rule book with me so I will have to paraphrase:

I says in so many words, that if there is an IW while the ball is loose after a fumble, the team that was in posession prior to the IW may replay the down or play the next down from the spot where they lost possession. In the original play, this would be B's 4 and would result in a 1st and goal for A at the 4.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected, so it sounds like the crew screwed up, or the team CHOSE to take the worse spot for some bizarre reason.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountainman
I need some help with an inadvertant whistle and a no touchdown result. I was a spectator at this varsity playoff game and I'm not sure about the results of the following play: 3rd and 14 for A from the B 28 yard line. QB rushes up the middle to the B 4 yard line and fumbles (an IW is blown while ball is loose) the ball is muffed by A (kicked) and rolls into the endzone where A falls on the ball. First the ball was placed back at B's 4 yard line and then placed back at B's 28 yard line where the play originated (3rd and 14 repeat the play). A was stuffed on the next 2 plays giving up the ball on downs. A did squeak out a narrow win, however I am not sure this series of events @ the IW was properly enforced. I would have had either a TD or 1st & goal for A. Your comments please.
Beanm bag the point of fumble, the B-4. Whistle blown during a loose ball kills the play. Rule is downs continue at the bean bag, therefore A 1D/G @ B-4. The kick by A into the EZ and the subsequent recovery in the EZ is ignored.